Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 3rd HRT attempt not good - should I stop  (Read 2315 times)

ange63

3rd HRT attempt not good - should I stop
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:48:51 AM »

Hi All,   I'm 59 5 year post meno and worst symptoms last 9 months.      I've tried 3rd type of HRT and disappointingly not doing great.        Over last 7 months I have tried Everol 50 patch (half patch and build up) then Sandrena  using urtrogestan PV.    For 10 days I have been trying eostrogel 1 pump and PV utrogestan.  I try to be positive and have the view that this time it will work esp as eastrogel is such a popular Hrt !!  After couple of days felt mood was calmer and sleep better  -both now worse again - there are no improvements.   Instead, my stomach problems have sky-rocketed, head tension and congestion feeling, nausea continuously, appetite poor and sickly even drinking water, new sore itchy skin problems and scalp gone very dry, mood very low and feeling tearful, not wanting to go out as feel unwell.   Has anyone else had reactions like this or tried various HRT options before finding something that does help?  Should I keep trying?  Or should i accept that HRT is not for me...     thanks for any responses..  x

Flossieteacake

Re: 3rd HRT attempt not good - should I stop
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:00:33 AM »

Are you able to work out if you are struggling with the progesterone or oestrogen part? I think it may help to know if it could be either of those that is causing you to feel bad. If it is both then I would stop HRT but if it is just one part then perhaps there is a way of you still taking HRT.

ange63

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:15:48 AM »

Hi Flossie, thank you and yes I'm trying to see if if its either causing problem....  stopped progesterone but early days yet.....   will post on here if I get an outcome....

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:19:52 AM »

I think that is a good idea because then you will know if it is the progesterone making you feel unwell. I really hope the sickness goes soon. It is awful to feel sick like that.

laszla

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 11:29:32 AM »

Ange I would strongly recommend getting your blood levels of estradiol measured, if not possible through your gp then with medichecks.
1 pump of estrogel is very little and it sounds as if your symptoms could be low estrogen. I need 5 pumps daily to feel decent and ensure sufficient levels in my blood to give bone protection etc. albeit that's an unusually high amount as I have absorption problems and particular symptoms that need a high dose.

If you measure your bloods you'll at least have an indication of what's actually in your blood and it would enable you to adjust your dose - which should be done incrementally.
I would also have testosterone and fai measured, you might also benefit from supplementation though usually oestrogen should be optimised first.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 11:45:13 AM »

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, vagina, deep in the ears, nostrils ....... it could be the progesterone that is causing problems as it does many women. 

Some use a regime of long oestrogen replacement with a short one of progesterone.  Don't give up !  It was the nausea that stopped me using many drugs over the years.  Pity that ABs etc. aren't delivered via patches  ::)

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 03:41:42 PM »

Hi All,   I'm 59 5 year post meno and worst symptoms last 9 months.      I've tried 3rd type of HRT and disappointingly not doing great.        Over last 7 months I have tried Everol 50 patch (half patch and build up) then Sandrena  using urtrogestan PV.    For 10 days I have been trying eostrogel 1 pump and PV utrogestan.  I try to be positive and have the view that this time it will work esp as eastrogel is such a popular Hrt !!  After couple of days felt mood was calmer and sleep better  -both now worse again - there are no improvements.   Instead, my stomach problems have sky-rocketed, head tension and congestion feeling, nausea continuously, appetite poor and sickly even drinking water, new sore itchy skin problems and scalp gone very dry, mood very low and feeling tearful, not wanting to go out as feel unwell.   Has anyone else had reactions like this or tried various HRT options before finding something that does help?  Should I keep trying?  Or should i accept that HRT is not for me...     thanks for any responses..  x

Hi ange63,

I'm sorry your feeling low.

I haven't been on HRT that long and from what I've discovered from other women is that low estrogen seems to definately cause sleep issues. As has mentioned maybe try and increase the gel.

also, sorry I'm not up on terminology what is progesterone pv? I use utrogestan vaginally and I take it in the morning making sure its correctly inserted all the way and I rest for 30 mins xxx

I have been thinking of you all day, I hope you're okay xxx

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 03:44:00 PM »

Sorry ange63, just discovered progesterone pv is vaginal suppositories. Could you take the prog vaginally in the morning as I do. As apparantely it doesn't matter what time of day you take it, so long as it doesn't pop back out.

I wouldn't have thought the prog could be causing sleep issues if you are taking it vaginally, I would have thought orally maybe yes xxxx

ange63

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 01:41:56 PM »

thank you for your replies - wonderful to have connection with others who understand things.   Discogirl - progesterone PV is utrogestan per vagina - its same capsule that you take orally but placed as high as possible in vagina.     I've stopped both the oestrogel and the utrogestan as I felt so unwell.    After just 2 weeks of taking HRT I was surprised I think I had strong response to stopping over last 2 days -or was it the HRT still swilling around my system? - and had major anxiety and feeling really out of it!!!  Real emotional struggle yesterday.   I had full chat with family and think they now realise how difficult it is and that I've been struggling to keep going without them realising.     I will cry when I feel the need to now.......
Will think about getting blood levels checked.....  I was ok at 5 years post meno until 9 months ago and I think my oestrogen levels must have dropped of a cliff all of a sudden....
I'm going to let things settle and try the gel on its own to see how I get on......  if it all goes well will try to increase the dose very slowly.... agreed this previously with doctor before introducing the utrogestan.   Going to take things very very slowly....
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.  X

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 02:11:11 PM »

Hi ange63,

I'm so glad you had the chat with your family. As women I think we all tend to just 'carry on' and often family members don't understand how much of a struggle things are with us.

It could well be that your oestrogen levels have really fallen off and at least you have a plan.

Keep in touch let us know how you are doing. We are all rooting for you xxxx

ange63

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 05:30:34 PM »

to add to it all i'm having a really bad bout of GERD and seem to have developed bowel cramps/bloating, can hardly eat - no sleep at all last night with it.  really sore.   Cannot take PPIs and managing with gaviscon and small meals/drinks.   So, hoping this will settle and I can then think more clearly about next steps with HRT....  never ends does it...