Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT & DCIS  (Read 1147 times)

Baldrick11

HRT & DCIS
« on: August 30, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »

Hi All,

My sister has just been diagnosed with DCIS, she has been on HRT (Evorol 75mg) and Mirena coil for a year and thinks she should come off HRT straight away her GP has agreed.

Yet the Breast clinic has advised she can stay on HRT for now until they have the results from her second biopsy.

I think she just wants to eliminate any risk, She has been advised it is likely she will be having a mastectomy but does anyone have any thoughts / experience around HRT and having DCIS?

Thanks

Kay

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT & DCIS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 07:39:59 PM »

Such decisions to be made.   

I would go with the breast clinics advice.  The Surgeon will see far more patients than a GP will do.  When will she have the 2nd biopsy, will there be lymph nodes removed at the same time?  If not, mayB she could ask?  I had 5 or 7 nodes removed which were clear.  I hadn't taken HRT though.

I felt at the time (1990s) that I wanted 'it out'  ::)

Mum was diagnosed with a breast cancer at her 65 year scan, breast removed and no other treatment.  Let us know how she gets on.

Sally S

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 10:03:58 PM »

Regarding the DCIS AND HRT info…the best person to check out is a breast surgeon who is on IG- she is called Dr Liz O’Riordan and she has lots of very helpful info regarding the use of HRT after cancer as she has had breast cancer herself. She is a wonderful and helpful lady and has a sensible and balanced attitude with HRT use.

HR1

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 01:51:06 PM »

Hi Baldrick

I was diagnosed with an oestrogen and progesterone positive DCIS back in May.  I have since had a therapeutic mammoplasty (lumpectomy with reduction and reshape) and am due to start chemo in a few weeks, followed by radiotherapy.

I was previously on a good chunk of HRT and was told I had to stop immediately - this was by the breast clinic, surgeon and also my menopause clinic.  I went cold turkey on the Sandrena (2 sachets a day, no prog as had hysterctomy 8 years ago) and also Tostran.  I made a conscious decision to continue with the topical vagifem and ovestin (down to once a week with cream instead of 6 times a week).  My decision was made based on quality of life and understanding that the topical dose is miniscule.  My GP agreed with this approach and I have also discussed this with the breast nurses who are of the same opinion.  I will be talking to my oncologist next week and will be requesting they add vagifem and ovestin back into my repeat prescriptions.
I think the reasoning for stopping immediately will be based on whether her DCIS is hormone positive which her medical team will know from the biopsy results.

There is also a great book written by Dr Avrum Bluming called Oestrogen Matters - he is a world renowned oncologist whose wife and daughter (both had hormone positive breast cancer) continued taking HRT.

Good luck to your sister - it's a lonely and difficult journey, more emotional than physical, but she is stronger than she thinks and there is so much positivity with treatments and outcomes now.

H

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »

One doesn't need a flare up of VA when undergoing other treatments.  It's such a small amount that I don't think it would make much difference. 

My disease was oestrogen dominant (apparently) but I use VA treatment.  Quality of Life is important.

Baldrick11

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »

Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences.

My sister will be seeing her surgeon tomorrow so will ask all her questions then.

She has been told the dcis is estrogen receptor positive and she has therefore stopped her hrt patch.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 05:37:50 PM »

Was the diagnosis made by biopsy?  Do tell her to buy button-up nighties not pull-over-the-head, quicker and less painful when having an exam after surgery.  Arms and shoulders may be stiff after the operation.

How do U both feel?