Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Efficacy of Utrogestan in protecting lining of the womb v Mirena coil  (Read 611 times)

Stillthinking

• First Flush

I asked my GP about being prescribed Utrogestan as I would prefer, if possible, to take body identical progesterone rather than use the Mirena coil which is not body identical. GP said to me that she couldn't yet prescribe Utrogestan in the practice and to consider the Mirena for now and come back in six months when the situation might have changed regarding Utrogestan prescribing. She also said that, having done some reading, she was not convinced that Utrogestan provides as effective protection to the lining of the womb as other progesterone products. Does anyone have any further information on this?

sheila99

Re: Efficacy of Utrogestan in protecting lining of the womb v Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 08:57:19 AM »

Are you in Scotland? If not I don't think there should be a problem getting it (perhaps she should look up micronised progesterone as utrogeston may be the 200mg licensed for ivf not the 100mg for hrt. For a very few women utro doesn't control it and the mirena is better but for thousands of women utro does the job.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 09:05:47 AM »

Hi
Utrogestan doesn’t work for me. I bleed regularly on it. The mirena was fitted end of May and stopped the bleeding in its tracks. However, the jury is still out as to whether it suits me overall ( mood etc) . I’m going to give it a further 2 months; then it will have been in 6 months in total.

Stillthinking

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 07:16:17 PM »

Thanks for the replies. So am I correct in my understanding of your replies that it would be obvious that Utrogestan wasn't offering enough protection to the lining of the womb because bleeding would occur? I was concerned about what my GP said because I was worried that I could potentially take Utrogestan for a prolonged length of time and be unaware that it wasn't effectively protecting the lining of my womb and consequently increasing my risk of cancer of the womb.

Nas

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 07:45:29 PM »

In my view, there is no such thing as a totally body identical product. Utrogestan is meant to be more ‘ Breast friendly’ in terms of cancer risk ( I think ). But essentially, this is a man made product.

You would know how effective continuous utrogestan is, by whether you bleed or not. On a sequential regime, you could expect  a monthly withdrawal bleed.

It probably does work for many, but not all.