Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT and Mirtazapine Causing Acne  (Read 716 times)

Lakes27

• First Flush
HRT and Mirtazapine Causing Acne
« on: September 21, 2022, 10:46:58 AM »

Hi All
I have literally found and joined this site today, and I am hoping you can help me.

After lots of changes for various reasons my current HRT consists of a Mirena coil and Evorel 100 patches.
I struggle with high levels of anxiety and so I also take a combination of Quetiapine and Mirtazapine to help manage this (with varying success).

For a few years now I have been struggling with acne on my face and I have recently come to realise that this might be related to the hormones in the coil and the Mirtazapine specifically.  It is really getting me down as I often have numerous painful red, swollen spots (just) on my face alongside horrible yellow spots as well.

My son is getting married in November and I feel like I am doomed to have to put up with this on the wedding pics unless I try to change things.

Has anyone else experienced these issues when taking Mirtazapine alongside HRT?  What did you do to improve things?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and Mirtazapine Causing Acne
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 10:51:12 AM »

Yep.  There are several threads about acne on the Forum.

I hadn't heard of Mirtazapine causing spots, what are you taking it for?   I suggest that you see a GP who may prescribe long-term antibiotic therapy and a face wash to clear the skin of bugs.  Or refer you to a dermatologist.

Taz2

Re: HRT and Mirtazapine Causing Acne
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 12:15:50 PM »

Hi Lakes 27. This is a subject close to my heart. Firstly have you been diagnosed as having acne and what treatment have you been given. Secondly do your lumps, bumps an horrible yellow spots leave scars when they face? Often rosacea is often misdiagnosed as acne and the treatment differs for each condition. https://knowyourskin.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/condition/rosacea/

I know what you mean about wanting your face better for the wedding photos. I was the same for my son's wedding. People don't understand the impact it has on you.

Taz x