Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Return of cortisol rushes at age 56  (Read 3965 times)

discogirl

Re: Return of cortisol rushes at age 56
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 06:37:00 AM »

Hiya - I had these symptoms too and my heart goes out to you they are horrible.  The anxiety and panic attacks were awful along with lots of episodes of very fast heartbeats.  I am now back on my original HRT which was unavailable for a long time and 8 weeks in the symptoms have all but gone.  My oestrogen blood level was off the scale low at 69 so the Meno consultant said she was not at all surprised at the symptoms I was getting.  I am slowly increasing the dose under her advice but seemed to have reached a good place at the moment.  Am having another blood test in 3  months to check oestrogen levels.  I hope this helps to know this and it does sound as though your oestrogen levels may well be too low as well.  Low oestrogen affects cortisol levels and also can kick off fast heartbeats along with the joy of hot flushes etc.  I hope so much you get to feel better soon. x

Hi Pippa52,

I was just wanting to ask a few questions about cortisol rushes.

I am 57 post meno and I have been on HRT since 25th August, patch and a half of estraderm and 100mg utrogestan PV.

I am also on amitrypline which I am attempting to wean off.

I often get cortisol rushes associated with trying to get to sleep as my sleep (although getting better very slowly) is still not where it used to be. Had very bad insomnia.

At night sometimes, I get very fast sort of pounding heartbeat and I sort of get very hot, (not hot flushes) I presume this is cortisol surges. I just wondered, my oestradiol level at the end of June was <19 so very low. 

I know you can get cortisol rushes first thing in the morning but didn't know you could get them at night.

Did yours subside when you got your estrogen levels sorted? Thanks so much

jaypo

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »

It's just a shift in oestrogen dandelion,I don't take HRT but even women who do,will STILL get shifts,you'll find it will subside on it's own but if you're not willing to wait just ask your Dr (a meno savvy one that is)

discogirl

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 07:46:34 AM »

It's just a shift in oestrogen dandelion,I don't take HRT but even women who do,will STILL get shifts,you'll find it will subside on it's own but if you're not willing to wait just ask your Dr (a meno savvy one that is)

Hi Jaypo,

Hope you don't mind me cutting in.

I am 57 post meno, been having HRT since 25th August. 25mg estraderm one and half patches and 100mg utro vaginally (taken in the morning). I started having really bad sleep issues after I got tinnintus in february; my sleep was great before that.

However now, some night I get very rapid heartbeat at night which seems to stop me falling asleep. You mentioned to Dandelion 'a shift in oestrogen' what do you mean? I increased my patch by a half about 10 days ago and I don't want to increase my estrogen too quickly, but I'm trying to get my sleep pattern sorted out.

Thanks so much xxx

Dandelion

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »

I am just wondering why they have come back now, as I have been on 25mcg evorel a year, and never got them.

jaypo

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 05:58:10 PM »

No,of course I don't mind discogirl  ;D
What I mean is,ovaries will still produce oestrogen BUT it gets less and less as the years roll on and I always know when mine had dropped,as that's when the cortisol rushes start again,then your body adapts to that and you feel better BUT when it drops AGAIN,then the rushes start again.
Ha,isn't menopause a hoot ladies?  >:(

discogirl

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 06:07:22 PM »

thanks jaypo that makes sense.

i am post meno had my estrogen levels checked end of june before i started hrt and my blood estrogen was 19.

i tend to get butterflies in tummy and fast heartbeat at night as i developed insomnia xxxx

ive been on hrt 1 mth so hopefully my levels will be higher xxxx

Dandelion

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 06:47:37 PM »

I'm going to make an appointment to get my bloods checked.

discogirl

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 07:18:40 PM »

well done.

let me know how you get on xxx

Dandelion

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 07:56:00 PM »

well done.

let me know how you get on xxx
I'll try to remember, I have a bad memory.

discogirl

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 08:01:11 PM »

i'll contact you xxx i'll keep an eye open for you xxxx

Dandelion

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 05:55:42 AM »

i'll contact you xxx i'll keep an eye open for you xxxx
Thanks.
Probably, like many UK surgeries, I have to phone at 8am on the dot, and often, the line is engaged, and I fear appointments for the day vanishing by the time I get through.
In the 1980's, I know, it was a long wait in the doctors waiting room, but I never remember such difficulty with appointment availability and telephones.

discogirl

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 06:58:03 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

I agree, I remember when I was little, the doctor that delivered me was also our family doctor and I remember well, home visits by our doctor!!!

Imagine home visits now.

I hope you get through and get an appointment with an understanding doctor xxx

Dandelion

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2022, 07:09:09 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

I agree, I remember when I was little, the doctor that delivered me was also our family doctor and I remember well, home visits by our doctor!!!

Imagine home visits now.

I hope you get through and get an appointment with an understanding doctor xxx
I put a reminder on my phone and ignored it, LOL, the line is engaged now, I will retry until my patience runs out, and remember to call first thing on Monday morning, provided I do not sleep in.
I get insomnia, I got up at 4am as sleep was nowhere in sight.
Nah 7mins late and line engaged repeatedly, hard times, Neo victorian LOL

discogirl

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 07:43:24 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

Yes I suffer with insomnia too.

I believe mine is down to low estrogen as it is slowly, very very slowly seems to be going in the right direction.

I will keep positive thoughts for you and I will keep in touch xxx

Dandelion

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 07:47:29 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

Yes I suffer with insomnia too.

I believe mine is down to low estrogen as it is slowly, very very slowly seems to be going in the right direction.

I will keep positive thoughts for you and I will keep in touch xxx
Thanks, heaven only knows why mine has dropped.
I used to need 100mcg in peri.
I had to go down gradually as bleeds kept returning, but thankfully, 75mcg and 50mcg stopped flushes this time round, and 25mcg only has night sweats.
I went onto 25mcg last year, and it's only this year I feel anxious and IBS.
I wonder if oxytocin helps, as I may have been making my own, as I was seeing a man I was mad about, unfortunately, or fortunately, it ended, and my symptoms came around that time I think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3