Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause and HRT - pls help me understand what’s going on!  (Read 1119 times)

Raykay

Perimenopause and HRT - pls help me understand what’s going on!
« on: September 17, 2022, 07:33:48 AM »

Hi all
I’m 48 and perimenopausal - started HRT in Feb (Evorel 50 + utrogestan 200 days 15-26). Sorry this is going to be a long one - but I felt the need to put all the info I could think of down…

Symptoms before HRT:
Feeling hot ALL the time (not really flushes just overheated all the time)
Night sweats (intermittent)
Poor sleep
Tired/exhausted all the time but really bad in the 10 days before a period
Brain fog
Word recall issues
Joint pains (hands)
Burning mouth
Dry skin - especially feet and scalp
Itchy hands and feet at night - so bad I had to take antihistamine
Regular periods (I have had irregular/long cycle my whole life and the change is to become regular and short (for me)

Wk 1. After starting oestrogen my sleep improved immediately and I felt amazing! My brain felt like it was working with no effort - blooming brilliant.
After my first cycle I felt dreadful when I stopped utrogestan - until my period about 10 days later.
At my 3 month review all of my symptoms were either better or gone completely GP suggested an increase in estrogen dose but I said no! (Then regretted it - no idea why I didn’t say yes!!) had problems getting an appt for the same gp so decided to wait unti my next prescription due to discuss increasing dose.
At 6 months increased to Evorel 75 - by the time I got to this appt I was noticing a worsening of my brain symptoms- word recall and brain fog + inability to concentrate.

I’m 2 months in to the increased dose and honestly I’ve noticed no difference - if anything an increase in some of my symptoms - the itching is back, as is the occasional internal inferno feeling, and a new symptom of issues with my short term memory. Plus my periods are off - they were coming around 10 days after stopping uterogestan then I missed a month then last period happened midway through taking uterogestan 🤷‍♀️ Last period was very very light though…

I am also having some itching where my patch is (only if I put the patch in an area that tends to get a bit hot and sweaty anyway) - not all the time and although red after I take the patch off - I can’t see red through the patch and it settles down by the next day…

I know there are some of you out there who are really knowledgeable about which hormones do what - I’d love some insights into what anyone thinks is going on! My feeling is that I’ve stopped absorbing the hormones so well ..

Any insights in what to do next also gratefully received!!
Thank you !!

Gnatty

Re: Perimenopause and HRT - pls help me understand what’s going on!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 08:01:36 AM »

My bet is your own oestrogen levels are bottoming out and therefore you will maybe need to increase again. In your message you say your old symptoms are coming back. This is classic in perimenopause as you get nearer to full menopause you have to up the dose of oestrogen. At some point this will all settle and then you can find your perfect dose. You'll get there! This is a period of adjustment and then readjustment x

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 11:07:06 PM »

Hi :)

My flushes were odd, they started at bra level and up, others may have heat all over their bodies.
I feel hot now, but legs feel hot as well, I had to reduce to 25mcg evorel which isn't really enough, but I bled on 50 and over.
I hated it when I needed 100mcg.
I had early awakenings, I thought it was medication withdrawal related, as I was only 42, I needed a fan, sweaty neck.
You could google menopause symptoms, I went to 47 years of age, and someone suggested menopause, as it got worse.
Morning adrenaline dumps, dread feeling, couldn't tell if it was real-life problems, as I realised my lease was breached at the time, or medication or perimenopause.

Yeah, I had to gradually up oestrogen, at the time, doctors seemed unwilling, un-necessary hassle, but once I got on the right amount, I was much better, except anxiety.
Flushes went, IBS went.
Utrogestan works on GABA which is why some women get PMS and progesterone sensitive, others find it hard to tolerate, we are all so individual.
My need for oestrogen was 100mcg by the time I realised I was peri.
Some women on here need more than 100mcg.

"inferno feeling" LOL, I am not scoffing, it's no joke, I just like the description.
Periods do get irregular and flow varies in peri.
You might need more oestrogen.
If you get hassle with asking for oestrogen increase, write to Dr Currie, she costs, but is great, and my GP's listened to her.

Itching where my patch is, is common, sometimes, but not always, I get irritation on evorel, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything, it doesn't always come, but if you are sensitive, you may want to try another patch or gel.
I put the patch at the top of my buttock.
You sound allergy prone, I am not, but still, the patch slight irritation and redness is not a problem.

I would say, discuss change in oestrogen or increase, if you get hassle, write to Dr Currie.

Raykay

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 03:13:49 PM »

My bet is your own oestrogen levels are bottoming out and therefore you will maybe need to increase again. In your message you say your old symptoms are coming back. This is classic in perimenopause as you get nearer to full menopause you have to up the dose of oestrogen. At some point this will all settle and then you can find your perfect dose. You'll get there! This is a period of adjustment and then readjustment x

Thanks Gnatty
I think you are probably right - I was just surprised to get a period in the middle of my progesterone 12 days - as I thought progesterone was supposed to inhibit bleeding - that plus my re-emerging low oestrogen symptoms made me wonder if I am not absorbing rather than oestrogen demands going up….

Raykay

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 03:19:00 PM »

My flushes were odd, they started at bra level and up, others may have heat all over their bodies.
I feel hot now, but legs feel hot as well, I had to reduce to 25mcg evorel which isn't really enough, but I bled on 50 and over.
I had early awakenings, I thought it was medication withdrawal related, as I was only 42, I needed a fan, sweaty neck.
You could google menopause symptoms, I went to 47 years of age, and someone suggested menopause, as it got worse.
Morning adrenaline dumps, dread feeling, couldn't tell if it was real-life problems, as I realised my lease was breached at the time, or medication or perimenopause.

Yeah, I had to gradually up oestrogen, at the time, doctors seemed unwilling, un-necessary hassle, but once I got on the right amount, I was much better, except anxiety.
Flushes went, IBS went.
Utrogestan works on GABA which is why some women get PMS and progesterone sensitive, others find it hard to tolerate, we are all so individual.

"inferno feeling" LOL, I am not scoffing, it's no joke, I just like the description.
If you get hassle with asking for oestrogen increase, write to Dr Currie, she costs, but is great, and my GP's listened to her.

Itching where my patch is, is common, sometimes, but not always, I get irritation on evorel, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything, it doesn't always come, but if you are sensitive, you may want to try another patch or gel.
You sound allergy prone, I am not, but still, the patch slight irritation and redness is not a problem.

I would say, discuss change in oestrogen or increase, if you get hassle, write to Dr Currie.

Yeah - I don’t really get hot flushes as such, just several hours/days weeks of feeling hotter than everyone else - inferno is exactly what it feels like to me - sometimes I just don’t know what to do with myself! The recent hot weather hasn’t helped…

I’m fine with irregular periods and peri - I was a bit surprised through to get a bleed during my 12 days of progesterone rather than after - wondered if maybe I’m not absorbing enough progesterone… I don’t know what GABA is (makes note to find out!)

Will definitely discuss all of this with the gp - am due a review soon….

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »

Flushes went, IBS went.

Yeah - I don’t really get hot flushes as such, just several hours/days weeks of feeling hotter than everyone else - inferno is exactly what it feels like to me - sometimes I just don’t know what to do with myself! The recent hot weather hasn’t helped…

I’m fine with irregular periods and peri - I was a bit surprised through to get a bleed during my 12 days of progesterone rather than after - wondered if maybe I’m not absorbing enough progesterone… I don’t know what GABA is (makes note to find out!)

Will definitely discuss all of this with the gp - am due a review soon….
Hi, GABA is the nerve receptors that progesterone, and other drugs, like valium, plus alcohol and some herbs act on.
A "GABA agonist" is calming sedative.
Regarding the weather, I am still feeling as if it is muggy.
I could have done with my fan on when I got home today, I put it away the day before yesterday, as I thought the hot weather had ended.
You'd get a "withdrawal bleed" on the days you are not taking the progesterone. I think this is correct, I do not bleed at all because I take progesterone every day tp keep GABA stable.