Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vagifem question  (Read 1890 times)

Vicky61

Vagifem question
« on: September 16, 2022, 10:30:01 PM »

I started using Vagifem in January as I was getting recurrent bladder infections, frequent urination and leakage as well as painful sex.  Nine months later I haven't had any bladder infections, but my urine problems haven't improved.  My gynecologist suggested I go on Premarin, but I don't like the way it is made from pregnant horse urine.  I'm on twice a week dose.  Any suggestions?

Taz2

Re: Vagifem question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 11:10:29 PM »

Hi Vicky. It's good that vagifem has sorted out your painful sex and UTIs but it is unlikely to cure leakage problems. If you are under the care of a gynae have they said that you have a prolapse of the bladder? Is so have you had the assessment from a urinary continence clinic?

Premarin is an older type of HRT and as you say the way it is produced is not at all kind to horses. Also, I don't think it is recommended for those over 60 due to stroke risk. Transdermal HRT is much better if you do decide to try HRT.

Taz x

Vicky61

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 11:56:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  No I don't have any prolapse but I was told Vagifem helps with urinary issues.  Is that incorrect?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »

VA treatment will ease the need2P feelings - as oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax as well as the body may become dry inside and out: including the vaginal area.

As Taz suggests there may be other reasons for urine leakage.  When I get the need2P feelings I take 'nurofen', have U tried pain relief to ease the nip as the urine flow shuts off?

How often are U inserting 'vagifem'?  If necessary U can use it nightly.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 09:50:38 AM »

Twice a week Vaifem is the minimum dosage and rarely enough. Try using every night for a couple of weeks and reduce to whatever is comfortable for you. I manage on 5 per week plus Ovestin on the outside every night. Also place the Vagifem lower down on the bladder wall, this helps target the bladder and urethra and works for me if I start needing to pee in the night. Changing where you place the Vagifem ensures all the area inside gets covered.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:05:32 AM by Dierdre »

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  No I don't have any prolapse but I was told Vagifem helps with urinary issues.  Is that incorrect?

Yes it does help with urinary issues but if you still have actual leakage testing called Urodynamics is offered to see how the bladder behaves https://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/documents/urodynamic-tests/. I've had this done a few times now to tweak my pelvic floor exercise programme.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »

Good idea Taz.  If worried about leaking during a consult Vicky, buy some suitable 'elderly' pads  ::) ;-)

Let us know how you get on.  And don't restrict your liquid intake as the kidneys will work harder.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »

Agree with all the ladies.  Twice a week on Vagifem is not enough.  I'm on 5x a week and many are on daily.  It's trial and error (mostly error until you find the right does and combo.  Premarin contains hormones NOT found in the human body.  My advice?  Stick with Vagifem and/or Ovestin.  Good luck.  Sucks getting old(er).

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 09:39:59 PM »

After a few weeks, Vagifem reduced my frequency of loo visits during the night. Is that what you mean by urinary issues?

Jules

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »

I'm prescribed it every night fir two weeks then twice weekly. After 6 weeks I was advised to stop because I had breast pain and they needed to check the cause. Within two weeks I had a uti after sex even with my usual prophylactic tablet and burning vaginal pain. I'm starting vagifem again but have to reduce the dose. It's really frustrating. I'm nearly 65 but reaching the point where sex is too much angst. I don't get uti any other time or any other irritation. My GP will only prescribe 8 weeks of doses too.
Agree with all the ladies.  Twice a week on Vagifem is not enough.  I'm on 5x a week and many are on daily.  It's trial and error (mostly error until you find the right does and combo.  Premarin contains hormones NOT found in the human body.  My advice?  Stick with Vagifem and/or Ovestin.  Good luck.  Sucks getting old(er).

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 08:41:00 AM »

Jules - was the urine sent to a Lab for 'growing'?  What was the cause of your breast pain, sometimes the body reacts initially with VA treatment then settles as it's a really low dose.  Which of course your GP should know, also it isn't up to a GP to tell ladies how often to use VA treatments.  :bang: Would he/she tell a diabetic to reduce treatment  :-\.  Every night is essential for many.

Ring the Surgery to ask for a referral to a menopause clinic: not a gynae : you do not 'HAVE TO' reduce the dose.  There are waiting lists. Or you can send an e-mail to Dr Currie on here for advice to hand to your GP.  Let us know how you get on.

Sometimes ladies need every night or a couple of times a week for ages. When I get the need2P feelings I take 'nurofen' to ease the nip as the urine flow stops.

Jules

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 11:15:22 PM »

No it wasnt sent to a lab this time. Ive had that many uti i sort of know the difference now but due to once being hospitalised on arrival in New York with a bladder and kidney infection that had not been diagnosed by my GP, im rather paranoid and hyper sensitive. This last episode started with more vigorous sex than usual and it resulted in soreness which I couldn't quite pinpoint to one area.  The breast pain we think was the vagifem as it stopped when i stopped the vagifem. Im back on it now and hoping it is successful and i dont get any more side effects as ive also had bleeding previously and needed tests.   Its put me off sex anyway as I'm OK otherwise

Jules - was the urine sent to a Lab for 'growing'?  What was the cause of your breast pain, sometimes the body reacts initially with VA treatment then settles as it's a really low dose.  Which of course your GP should know, also it isn't up to a GP to tell ladies how often to use VA treatments.  :bang: Would he/she tell a diabetic to reduce treatment  :-\.  Every night is essential for many.

Ring the Surgery to ask for a referral to a menopause clinic: not a gynae : you do not 'HAVE TO' reduce the dose.  There are waiting lists. Or you can send an e-mail to Dr Currie on here for advice to hand to your GP.  Let us know how you get on.

Sometimes ladies need every night or a couple of times a week for ages. When I get the need2P feelings I take 'nurofen' to ease the nip as the urine flow stops.
:)