Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Wild Goose Chase  (Read 782 times)

discogirl

Wild Goose Chase
« on: September 16, 2022, 05:28:07 PM »

I sometimes wonder if I'm on a wild goose chase with all of this.

I'm 4 years post menopause, with no symptoms, I slept really well even with my night sweats.

I orignally went on HRT to try and resolve the insomnia and anxiety which had began in february when I developed tinnitus.

Am I correct in thinking that even though I no longer get hot flushes or night sweats, that HRT can still help me with my insomnia? Some research I've read online seem to indicate that HRT can only help insomnia if hot flushes and night sweats are the cause. Mine is actually getting to sleep, which seems to indicate it's anxiety causing the insomnia.

I'm on amitrypline which can also apparantely cause anxiety and insomnia, it did sedate me initially but doesn't now, so I'm slowly tapering off that just to see if that helps. (The tinnitus doesn't really seem to bother me now - touch wood.)

Actually after I'd been on HRT for about 4 days my sleep improved then a few days ago it just seemed to slip right back. I know it can take up to 3 months but I don't understand how my sleep seemed to improve.

Any advice would be great xxx

Flossieteacake

Re: Wild Goose Chase
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »

If insomnia is due to hormones then HRT can help as it should regulate that. Just like if the anxiety is hormonal then HRT can help with that too.

I know some find anxiety medication helpful along with HRT. I am not sure how you would feel about that.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 05:44:10 PM »

hi flossieteacake

im not too keen on anxiety medication reallym

as with the HRT i suppose only time will tell. at least HRT doesnt cause insomnia it helps it so hopefully my HRT regime will eventually help.

hope your doing ok xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 05:45:30 PM »

I understand. It is not for everybody. Another option worth trying is CBT. You can self refer and it can be done online for free. I have heard many people say CBT has helped them get better sleep.

I am okay. You are sweet to ask.  :)

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »

Yes hrt can definitely help / cure insomnia. It does take a while though. It was the last of my symptoms to go . I know realise I’ve not slept properly for years xxx

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 05:53:32 PM »

hi dotty

thats encouraging to hear.

was your insomnia caused by hot flushes/night sweats or was it anxiety related may i ask

xxx

Gilla999

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 06:04:06 PM »

HRT can definitely help with insomnia when night sweats aren't present - for me night sweats only arrived at the very "end" when my Estrogen must have got really low, but I probably had about 6 months before that of prolonged insomnia on its own (where I didn't realise low Estrogen was to blame so hadn't started HRT). However for me personally low Estrogen insomnia is and has always been "3am insomnia", not problems getting to sleep.

Something I have noticed though which I thought was worth mentioning as I saw your other post about Utro: Over the last few months I've been trying to up my Progesterone level and this has led to some experimenting with either trying higher doses (of Utro or Cyclogest) or trying taking it throughout my cycle (i'm not yet post meno). Quite a few of these experiments have led to problems getting to sleep, which is extremely unusual for me these days and definitely felt chemically induced.
I know Prog is supposed to be sedating but for me too much or at the wrong time I have actually found to be stimulating (and I remember quite some time ago seeing women on here mention the same). It's probably not connected in your case, but just thought I'd mention it in case  :)

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 06:10:30 PM »

hi gilla999

well i have just started using the utrogestan vaginally and i use it in tbe morning as i didnt find it sedating either.
i believe vaginal route has less side effects.

i am weaning off the amitrypline i dont like the drug and feel i'd be better off it.

thanks so much for replying i really appreciate it xxx

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »

Hi discogirl. My insomnia wasn’t really related to anything. When it first started I wasn’t getting night sweats. I just went from sleeping ok to not being able to sleep at all. Didn’t realise at the time that it was hormonal. Xx

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 06:27:49 PM »

hi dotty

that was me. i slept really well.

suddenly developed tinnitus then i dudnt sleep.

i think ive realised the anxiety then the tinnitus and not sleeping i believe has all been hormone related i think
xxxx