Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: suicidal  (Read 2430 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: suicidal
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 09:23:44 PM »

Night night.  Bath time for me.  With a book. 

discogirl

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 06:35:38 AM »

Morning, just to give an update.

It took me ages to nod off last night, went to bed at 10pm and I was exhausted but couldn't shut my mind off, my heart was racing like mad, so in the end I got up and I put an extra half patch of estraderm on.

So I eventually fell asleep and got 5 hours!!!

I don't think my estraderm mx I'm supposed to cut but I don't want to jump up to 50mcg as I think that would be too much of a big jump

xxxx

SarahJayne

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 06:52:23 AM »

Hi discogirl,
Your original post struck a chord with me, so please know this, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Peri and post menopause is a time of stress, pain, struggle, worry, anxiety, depression…you name it. If it was easy, this forum wouldn’t be needed😂.

I too had insomnia, in some respects I think it’s the worst symptom. Lack of sleep impacts every aspect of life and makes normal function almost impossible. I am incredibly lucky I don’t work now. But the insomnia started just before I left and with hindsight that’s probably what contributed to me leaving. 2 hours a night and working in a school with difficult teenage boys does not mix😂.

Without wanting to sound dramatic and get people panicking, it does leave you suicidal. When you think there’s no end in sight, nothing seems to work, HRT needs adjusting and you can’t function because of tiredness it’s hardly surprising.

Now I find that the bouts of insomnia have lessened and I just get up, sit downstairs with a warm milk and a book or some knitting.

I can see others members have left really useful advice re HRT etc, so I’ll sign off, I just wanted you to know that you’re not alone, it will get better, and just take each day and night as they come.

X

discogirl

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 06:57:50 AM »

Hi SarahJayne,

Thank you so much for your help.

I think the shock is that I always did sleep really well.

It's amazing though the help from the other ladies on this forum has over-whelmed me, how helpful and lovely they all are.

I do think my issue is low estrogen, as I don't suffer really with hot flushes or night sweats and even when I did it didn't trouble my sleep really. My issue is with falling asleep and if my anxiety is through the roof my mind just doesn't shut off.

As you say it impacts every single area of your life.

I put an extra half of my estrogen patch on last night.

hopefully with tweaks along the way it will settle down.

Was your issue with falling asleep or waking up and not being able to get back to sleep xxx

Abc123

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 07:12:58 AM »

I hope you don't mind me commenting. I used to fall asleep like a light but since having long covid insomnia is an unwanted friend. Although the issue isn't solved, what I find helps is listening to either yoga nidra in an app called Insight Timer or listening to an audio book I know. If I don't know the book I listen too intently, but if I know it, I can listen to the familiarity and drift off. I bought some Bluetooth ear buds so I don't worry about getting tangled up or disturbing my partner and it's made it far less stressful. Some people find a pillow speaker good too.

The person I like on the Insight Timer app is Jennifer Piercy and her bone deep sleep track. I made a playlist with that and some white noise and just let it play. The bud falls out while I'm asleep and it's made a big difference to how I feel about the insomnia and has improved it a bit as my mind goes on less of an adventure if kept busy listening!!

Best wishes.

discogirl

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 07:19:00 AM »

Hi Abc123,

I'm so sorry you had long covid and insomnia as a result. Many people suffer with long covid and I send you big hugs.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes I use white noise, rain, thunder, audio books etc. what threw me the previous night, was the fact I that I literally did not sleep.

I got 5 hours last night, and what actually calmed me was hubby has a paul mckenna sleep app which actually helped calm me down.

Its' a good idea about the audio books.

Lots of love xxx

Abc123

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 07:29:23 AM »

Ah thank you.

The reminders of dark times in the past can be overwhelming and adding hormones to the mix compounds it. So glad you had a better night last night and apologies for teaching you to suck eggs with the audio suggestions!! Xx

discogirl

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 07:33:42 AM »

Hi Abc123,

No you didn't at all;

I'm new to all this, including audio books!!!

your and all the lovely ladies on this forum have been a lifeline for me.

I really don't know where I'd be without you all so thank you

xxxx

Abc123

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 07:39:13 AM »

<3 xx

discogirl

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2022, 07:47:43 AM »

Hi Gilla999,

Thank you so much for understanding and I'm sorry you went through such a bad time, however I hope sunny days are with you now!!!!

My insomnia started in february when I developed tinnitus out of the blue, however prior to that I had anxiety which I think was hormone related. The tinnitus doesn't really bother me now however I went through months of insomnia, and you are so right it is a bit like having PTSD. Previously I slept like the proverbial log.

I now actually get frightened about going to bed as weird as it sounds!!!

I'm on amitrypline, intially that did sedate me but my body got used to the sedation eventually so I now take that in the morning. I do use magnesium bisglycinate at night which helps calm me a bit.

However, when I started HRT on 25th August, by 31st August my sleeping was starting to improve so the other night was a bolt out of the blue. I'm only on 25mcg of estraderm so last night I cut another patch in half to add that to my other patch, so fingers crossed.

I hope you are in a better place now and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me xxx

Dotty

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 08:08:09 AM »

I used to hate going to bed because although I was exhausted I was dreading the fact that I wouldn’t be able to sleep. xx

discogirl

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 08:10:53 AM »

Thats exactly it Dotty.

I used to love going to bed.

Maybe this is all just part of the ageing process

xxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2022, 08:46:50 AM »

It is interesting the increase in patch helped you sleep. I would think that indicates the lack of sleep is due to low oestrogen. This is so positive as it is something that can easily be adjusted.  :) Is is good you were able to get some sleep.

I totally understand feeling anxious trying to sleep as you are worried the insomnia will return. I think that in itself will stop you sleeping. If you slept once increasing your patch then I hope this can reassure you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2022, 09:45:21 AM »

For years I dreaded going to bed because of dreadful nightmares  :'(

Last night due to a sore socket and remaining tooth up there, I laid waiting for infection to begin  :-\. At 6.00 I got up to take 'nurofen'.  Guilt took over  :'( so I was tossing and turning. 

Glad that you got some sleep!  Every hour helps during the next day.  Don't increase the patch too much too soon ?

discogirl

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 10:43:28 AM »

Hi CLKD,

pain from dentists is the pits, I'm sorry you had a bad night.

No, that's why I just put half a patch on to 'top up' the other one, as I didn't want to go up to 50 mcg which my GP was happy for me to do in a couple of weeks, but i felt that jump would have been too much.

Hope i'm ok on a patch and half.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4