Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestradiol and progesterone levels  (Read 682 times)

SarahK50

• First Flush
Oestradiol and progesterone levels
« on: September 13, 2022, 12:09:49 PM »

Looking for some advice please.
I’m on hrt 4 years. Last October I increased my oestrogen to 100mg daily. I take utrogestan 100 nightly too. My GP wants to increase my utrogestan to 200 nightly.
Had a recent blood test where my oestradiol is 196. Progesterone is 11.9. My womb lining is normal also.
I feel ok at the moment. Don’t think from my bloods that I should increase my progesterone. It took me a while to settle into taking it
What does anyone think please?

laszla

Re: Oestradiol and progesterone levels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 05:03:27 PM »

Your oestradiol should be higher, that's the one to concentrate on. It seems you aren't absorbing it well, what form is it in - you might need to try another if you're not absoribing with this.
Oestradiol levels should be around 300 for bone protection and for some women higher even than that depending on their symptoms - for example for hormonal depression up to 800 pmol are recommended.
But I would at least aim for 300.
If your womb lining is normal I don't see the need to increase your progesterone - which causes problems for many women. Only reason to increase progesterone would be if you dramatically increased your oestrogen intake and developed a thickened endometrium.

SarahK50

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 05:32:18 PM »

Thanks that would be my thinking. I was on gel and wasn’t absorbing. I’m on evorel 100 and clearly not absorbing it too well either. Not sure what to try next.

shoppingqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 10:20:33 AM »

Hi
If you’re absorbing from the patch at your current levels you could add another 25 or 50 patch?
Or honestly if you are feeling ok, why change anything? Some people might not need higher levels? Just a thought . If it ain’t broke, why fix it? Also, if your womb lining is ok as well it suggests your current prog dosage is doing it’s job. I think we can be quick to change things. I never checked my estrogen levels when first on tablet HRT and went on symptom control only. I think sometimes we become very (overly) focused on the numbers and not how we feel. I’ve done it too
Many times myself jumping about to try and hit the 300-400 but actually then messed up something that was doing the job. Being ok, functioning and not having life changing symptoms has got to be the goal. I have thyroid issues and have become numbers obsessed with that and after a very rocky road for the last year have decided to stop getting bloods checked obsessively and go with how I’m feeling. Xx

SarahK50

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 10:46:21 AM »

Thanks for the responses. You are so right in terms of going by how I feel. Had felt great but the tiredness creeping in again. Going to hold steady for a while and see how I go. Not going to increase my utrogestan

shoppingqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »

It’s worth sticking for a bit as things can settle again. Is not worth missing the sweet spot which is so easily done.
Take care x