Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thyroid results, fatigue and birth control  (Read 741 times)

Vicky81

Thyroid results, fatigue and birth control
« on: September 12, 2022, 08:56:24 AM »

Hi all
Hope you're all well?
So it's me again...

I recently changed my birth control 9 days ago to a more oestrogenic one (cilest), on the advice of my female GP to hopefully get my symptoms under control. I must admit the physical anxiety isn't really present as much, but I've got low flat mood,, no interest but yhe main issue I've been having is fatigue....sleeping so much its impacting my daily living.

Had a full thyroid check last week and below are my results-

TSH- 1.15 range (0.27- 4.2)

Free T3 - 5 .50 range (3.1- 6.8)

FREE THYROXINE - 14.1 range (12- 22)

All antibodies are normal too and vitamin D was in optimal range at 103.

I'm going to get checked for everything that could also cause fatigue - diabetes, DHEA, cortisol. Now the Las time I did a cortisol saliva test it was high throughout the day...

What do you ladies think? You are much more knowledgeable than me by a long shot.
Just to note too- I had the fatigue on zoley, marvelon and now this pill.
I just feel like my days are passing me by xx

Vicky81

Re: Thyroid results, fatigue and birth control
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 08:57:18 AM »

Sorry- I forgot to add that the last two evenings I have felt moody and slightly teary towards my partner

Vicky81

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 09:06:48 AM »

Oh my days...so sorry. I forgot to add that while I was on the pill break from marvelon and waiting to start cilest...there was one day I went to work,, meant to do a 8.30- 2.30....I had to go home at 10....I was terribly fatigued that was the worst sday so far.
 Wondering if this is fluctuations? As whrn I think back to last year when all this started and didn't know it was peri...I was very very fatigued every day . So wasn't taking any hormones at all...

Clarella

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 08:17:16 AM »

Oral oestrogen including within birth control can mean you need more thyroxine.

Starting COP when I was in my very early 20s is what revealed my hypothyroidism. I think I was already likely to be slightly hypo but I got considerably worse. The same can happen with oral hrt. Transdermal doesn’t have this effect as it doesn’t go through liver.

I would ask Gp for a test and adjust accordingly however you may need to wait a little longer to get the most accurate level results if that makes sense? If you raise a tiny bit now (say an extra 50 a week) you may need to retest in 3 months and may need more.