Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Problems switiching from cyclical to continuous Utrogestan  (Read 1211 times)

vikkiod

• First Flush
Problems switiching from cyclical to continuous Utrogestan
« on: September 13, 2022, 08:42:56 PM »

I am 53. I have been happy as larry on 50mcg Estradot Patches and 2X100mg of Utrogestan starting on day 12 for several years. The only problem is that my bleed would start before I had finished my Utro and my period would be about every 23 days. More recently, even down to 19 or 21 days which meant I felt like I was always on a period - not too heavy or painful though. About 3 months ago my doctor suggested that I should start to take the Utro continuously at just 1x100mg every night, and I had to agree it felt like a fabulous idea at the time to finally wave goodbye to the bleed!

However, I feel it was only a good idea in principle because I now barely recognise myself. I have bloated up and my hair is starting to fall again (itchy scalp). I am waking with anxiety in the middle of the night and flushing. Today, I feel like I have a bowling ball in my lower stomach which is killing me. I am grizzly all the time and suddenly feel like I am not coping with work!! Lovely. 

I am just so tempted to stop taking the Utrogestan altogether and wait for a period. Then go back to the original regime that suited me for so long.

Does anyone else have any similar experience or advice?

Thanks,

Vik. x

discogirl

Re: Problems switiching from cyclical to continuous Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 06:40:40 AM »

Hi vikkiod,

I'm very new to HRT and just wanted to share about utrogestan.

I'm post meno, so maybe my experience is not the same as yours, but i started taking utro it didn't help me sleep, or I didn't feel it did, so I now take it first thing in the morning, which is fine as it doesn't make me drowsy.

More experienced ladies will be along to give you better advice, but maybe it's all your body settling down to taking it continuously.

I hope your okay xx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 08:18:45 AM »

If you don't already use utro vaginally it might be worth trying. Some people (like me) who don't do well on prog use a sequi regime in meno, it's your choice. Slightly higher risk but worth it for me. The anxiety and flushing are probably because your own production of oestrogen has fallen and you would benefit from a higher dose.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 08:22:06 AM »

Hi Sheila99,

Hope you don't mind me butting in, I'm post meno and new to HRT, what exactly is a sequi regime?

And when you say you didn't do well on prog what were your symptoms if you don't mind sharing, it would just help me.

Thanks so much xxxx

Dada39

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »

Hi Vicky, maybe you can ask your doc to up the progesterone dose to 200 mg daily even on continuous regime?

Did your hair shedd and the scalp before taking hrt? Progesterone it is know to conterbalance dht the hormones responsible of hair shedding.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 01:39:34 PM »

Hi Sheila99,

Hope you don't mind me butting in, I'm post meno and new to HRT, what exactly is a sequi regime?

And when you say you didn't do well on prog what were your symptoms if you don't mind sharing, it would just help me.

Thanks so much xxxx
When you're peri you take oestrogen everyday and progesterone for 12-14 days then have a bleed. As you're meno you're probably on a conti regime where you take progesterone every day and don't have a bleed. I get fatigue on utro so use a long cycle (6 week) sequi regime as I don't want to be permanently doped. It doesn't help me sleep either though it does for many women.

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 03:18:52 PM »

Ah thanks for clarifying that Sheila99.

Yes I use utrogestan orally and continiously, I use it in the mornings though as soon as I get up as it doesn't help me sleep either xxx

vikkiod

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 07:00:41 PM »

Hi Vicky, maybe you can ask your doc to up the progesterone dose to 200 mg daily even on a continuous regime?

Did your hair shedd and the scalp before taking hrt? Progesterone it is known to counterbalance dht the hormones responsible of hair shedding.

Yes, my hair was shedding before starting HRT and once I was on it, it thickened up nicely. I have just started with the itchy scalp again and have noticed I am a bit thinner around my hairline. Maybe I am needing a bit more estrogen?

vikkiod

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 07:24:09 PM »

Hi vikkiod,

I'm very new to HRT and just wanted to share about utrogestan.

I'm post meno, so maybe my experience is not the same as yours, but i started taking utro it didn't help me sleep, or I didn't feel it did, so I now take it first thing in the morning, which is fine as it doesn't make me drowsy.

More experienced ladies will be along to give you better advice, but maybe it's all your body settling down to taking it continuously.

I hope your okay xx

Thanks, Discogirl. It just shows how different we all are as I only need to think about taking 2 x Utro and I can drift off into a blissful slumber. I miss those days as I don't get that effect with just one of them. Thanks for dropping by. x

vikkiod

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 07:31:26 PM »

If you don't already use utro vaginally it might be worth trying. Some people (like me) who don't do well on prog use a sequi regime in meno, it's your choice. Slightly higher risk but worth it for me. The anxiety and flushing are probably because your own production of oestrogen has fallen and you would benefit from a higher dose.

Hi Sheila, I have always quite liked the sedative effect of 2xUtro so I don't think that I can say I don't do well on it. I was so happy and settled on my old regime that I am gutted that I have tried to change to continuous. I am on 2x25mcg estradot patches as I can't get hold of the 50's. I did add another one for about 3 days to boost it up to 75mcg but that was when my stomach ballooned and it is still aching badly. Needless to say I ripped it off and am now back to 50 and NO utro. Should I wait until I bleed until I start taking 200mcg again, I wonder?

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 09:35:31 PM »

Have you changed patch? You talked about estraderm originally and the latest post says estradot. Just wondering if it could be that? I think I would do what you're suggesting. If stopping utro doesn't cure it perhaps stop the patch too.