Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estraderm and Utrogestan  (Read 951 times)

rabt

Estraderm and Utrogestan
« on: September 06, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »

Hi there

I have recently changed to Utrogestan and the Dr has said that I take until day 26. I have also been given Estraderm mx 50 patches which she said I should start taking all the time after day 26.  I’m confused though. I’m not sure if that means start using the patches on day 27 and use them continuously twice a week or if I should wait until I’ve had a period to start the patches. I know I’ve to take the Utrogestan days 15-26 but for this first time I’m not sure if it’s okay to just start on the patches after day 26. I’m not sure what the effect of that will be. Will I still have periods ? I’m a bit confused and wish I’d written it all down when I was at the Dr’s as the old brain fog has struck again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estraderm and Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 07:59:30 AM »

Morning.  Is there any useful info in the leaflets in the boxes?

I'm sure that someone will be along with sensible advice  ::)  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 08:30:40 AM »

Hi rabt

:welcomemm:

I can understand your confusion!

First are you post-menopause or peri-menopause ie still having periods? The usual practice is to start counting the first day of the bleed as Day 1. It sounds like you are being given the post-menopausal licensed dose which is almost continuous progesterone, with 3 days off to allow for a bleed if one is needed. However most practitioners take 10 mg continuously without a break. If you are peri then you will need a break.

There is no reason not to start the patches at the same time as you start the progesterone, though if you've had heavy periods or missed one the doc might be suggesting you take progesterone only the first month to ensure any womb lining is shed during the break.

Usually once you start the regime and start counting you just stick to the same 28 day cycle irrespective of the bleeds ( which may be unpredictable if you are ovulating infrequently or irregularly) - though if bleeds  persist at the "wrong" time, some tweaking may be necessary.

Does this help?

Hurdity x

rabt

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I’m in the perimenopause and aged 51 and have regular periods which are very heavy but we’re usually 30 to 31 days apart.  I was taking the HRT that was in tablet for started with oestrogen in the packet then moved to progesterone. I took this for three months but the progesterone part wasn’t agreeing with me so the Dr has changed my prescription and said carry on the first part of the pack from before as I’d already started it but when you reach the progesterone part start taking the Utrogestan tablets and then then move to the patches. I’m just now sure whether I should have a break after day 26 of the Utrogestan or whether to start the new patches straight away after that .
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:00:51 AM by rabt »

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 08:48:34 AM »

For HRT, oestrogen is applied or taken continuously, and it is only the progestogen that may be varied. So keep the patches on all the time, and start the progesterone as advised. ie if you stop taking the hRT tablets, then as soon as you finish the pills, start the oestrogen patches the next day.

Not sure why you can't just finish the cycle you started with the tablets, and then start the new regime with patches, and progesterone as per advice? Actually if you do complete the cycle of tablets then I would have the 3 day break before starting the oestrogen patches and progesterone. This 3 day break would then be days 26-28 if you see what I mean, Day 1 would be the start of the patches and utrogestan.

As I said in previous post, as you are perimenopausal this may not suit you though the longer duration of progesterone may help to regulate the heavy bleeding?

So my suggestion - finish current cycle of tablets. Have 3 days break ( as doc advice) - to allow the bleed (so yes you will still have periods if you are peri-menopausal) - then start Utrogestan and patches  and count this as Day 1, and see how you go from there - and keep a diary so you know what's what!

Maybe the doc wants to thin down your lining hence no oestrogen for the first cycle?

I hope that's a bit clearer?

Hurdity x

rabt

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 10:31:54 PM »

Hi there

I’m confused. I took the Utrogestan as advised by the Dr until day 26 which was yesterday morning (im on shifts). I am now not taking anything so you think I should have a 3 day break then take patches and Utrogestan? The Dr has said Utrogestan only from day 15 to 26. It was just whether I needed a break I was querying. It’s difficult to explain. I’ll give them a call to clarify