Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lanspronal  (Read 1287 times)

Smokey

Lanspronal
« on: September 08, 2022, 12:12:29 PM »

So I’m due a review with the doctors and know I will have to stop taking the lanspronal as I’ve been on them for probably to long. But how to stop I know you can’t just stop but does anyone know how to reduce them I take one each morning 30mg.  Should I do alternate days? 

Has anyone had experience of stopping?

Many thanks.

Ayesha

Re: Lanspronal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 12:38:38 PM »

My husband has weaned himself off of them by taking one every other day.

I assume you mean Lansoprazole?  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 12:41:10 PM by Ayesha »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 12:46:44 PM »

Is there a reason you want to stop it? I have to take it for life due to hiatal hernia.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 01:23:09 PM »

PPI’s have side effects and if you don’t need to be on them then that’s great!

As a matter of interest, Flossieteacake, do you take supplements to counteract the side effects of PPI’s? I also have to be on them long term and I take extra supplements.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 01:39:52 PM »

PPI’s have side effects and if you don’t need to be on them then that’s great!

As a matter of interest, Flossieteacake, do you take supplements to counteract the side effects of PPI’s? I also have to be on them long term and I take extra supplements.

I take calcuim, magnesium, and iron. I did not know you had to take PPIs too. Supplements are very useful in cases like this.

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 02:03:43 PM »

Thanks ladies, yes it’s lansoprazole.

That’s interesting Flossieteacake as I have a hiatus hernia too but my doctor has never suggested I take the lansoprazole for that, it was originally taken for gastritis which I have had on several occasions. I shall mention about taking it permanently if I ever get my review! I have a flare up of symptoms at the moment my fault as last night we treated ourselves to steak and made the mistake of having pepper sauce with it it was probably the cream in it that has set my stomach pains off.

I’m trying to cut foods at the moment that don’t agree with me which lately seem to be a lot😩

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 02:10:31 PM »

That's the reason my husband was put on Omeprazole because of gastritis. He's still taking them every other day to use up the tablets. He's been told if he needs to, he can go back on them.

If it's your diet that needs tweaking then go down that road, better than taking PPI's if you can possibly do without them.

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 02:12:10 PM »

I take calcuim, magnesium, and iron. I did not know you had to take PPIs too. Supplements are very useful in cases like this.

Yes, unfortunately a stomach event caused damage a few years ago and I have to be on them probably for life. I did try to come off them but was advised not to, I did anyway but was soon back at the doctors asking for them again.
I take B12, Zinc, Calcium Citrate, VitD. I can’t take Magnesium because it upsets my stomach.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 02:13:31 PM »

Yes, unfortunately a stomach event caused damage a few years ago and I have to be on them probably for life. I did try to come off them but was advised not to, I did anyway but was soon back at the doctors asking for them again.
I take B12, Zinc, Calcium Citrate, VitD. I can’t take Magnesium because it upsets my stomach.

Oh I am sorry to hear that. I too tried to come off and felt really bad. It is good you are taking those supplements.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 03:10:15 PM »

I'm on Omeprazole for hiatus hernia and have been advised that supplements don't work as the mechanism of the ppi stops the stomach from absorbing the supplements in the same way that it stops the absorption of the vitamins contained in our diet?

Taz x  :-\

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:34 PM »

All might not be lost, one hopes!! 

A survey from 2015 Darrell Hulisz, RPh, PharmD
Marissa Wagner 2015
“A recent study is casting some doubt on whether patients on long-term proton pump inhibitors (PPI) require additional supplementation, such as calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, and iron. Data from two prospective trials, one of five years, the other of 12 years of continuous PPI use in over 800 patient showed no clinically relevant changes in vitamin D, vitamin B12 , folate and homocysteine levels over time.
PPIs inhibit the secretion of hydrochloric acid which mediates small intestinal absorption of calcium. Additionally, PPIs may lead to reduced bone resorption of calcium since osteoclasts possess proton pumps that may be affected by PPI therapy. To date, data linking PPI use to increased bone fracture are from retrospective observational studies. The data from these studies have been inconsistent. However, data from the Women's Health Initiative has led to the recommendation that older patients on long-term or high-dose PPI therapy should consider increased dietary or supplementary calcium and vitamin D intake to minimize the risk of fracture. If calcium supplementation is indicated, calcium citrate should be used since it can be absorbed without an acidic environment.”

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 05:08:45 PM »

All might not be lost, one hopes!! 

A survey from 2015 Darrell Hulisz, RPh, PharmD
Marissa Wagner 2015
“A recent study is casting some doubt on whether patients on long-term proton pump inhibitors (PPI) require additional supplementation, such as calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, and iron. Data from two prospective trials, one of five years, the other of 12 years of continuous PPI use in over 800 patient showed no clinically relevant changes in vitamin D, vitamin B12 , folate and homocysteine levels over time.
PPIs inhibit the secretion of hydrochloric acid which mediates small intestinal absorption of calcium. Additionally, PPIs may lead to reduced bone resorption of calcium since osteoclasts possess proton pumps that may be affected by PPI therapy. To date, data linking PPI use to increased bone fracture are from retrospective observational studies. The data from these studies have been inconsistent. However, data from the Women's Health Initiative has led to the recommendation that older patients on long-term or high-dose PPI therapy should consider increased dietary or supplementary calcium and vitamin D intake to minimize the risk of fracture. If calcium supplementation is indicated, calcium citrate should be used since it can be absorbed without an acidic environment.”

Thank you for posting this. It is very encouraging. :)

Weeloz

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 11:12:51 PM »

Smoky do you still get acid reflux whilst on lansoprazol. How did you find out you had a hiatus hernia did you need to get an endoscopy for it . I have been on lansoprazol for 2 months and still get reflux acid

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 11:30:48 PM »

Hi Weeloz. The only way to find out is to have an endoscopy. I've got the common sliding type of hiatus hernia  I find my reflux is bad on esomeprazole but fine on Omeprazole. Do you take it first thing in the morning before even a cuppa?

Taz x

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 11:56:34 PM »

I'm on Omeprazole for hiatus hernia and have been advised that supplements don't work as the mechanism of the ppi stops the stomach from absorbing the supplements in the same way that it stops the absorption of the vitamins contained in our diet?

Taz x  :-\

I've been taking Lanzoprazle for a couple of months for heartburn but not daily. I'm now wondering if this is why I'm feeling tired all the time, I'm not taking any supplements.
Pages: [1] 2