Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Should/could I try an extra pump of Oestrogel? What would you do?  (Read 663 times)

Gill67

Should/could I try an extra pump of Oestrogel? What would you do?
« on: September 08, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »

Hi there everyone,
I posted recently about the almost constant heavy sweating I am getting (not hot flushes, just sweating) which has always been my one problem during menopause & is the reason I started HRT about 3 years ago when I was 51. It's so heavy that it's quite life-limiting. I started on Kliovance tablets (1mg Oestrogen/0.5mg progestin) and this worked well.
Anyway, my own estrogen levels must still be declining because over time the sweating returned and was solved by changing the HRT to one with a higher dose of oestrogen (kliofem tablets, 2mg oestrogen/1mg progestin).

The sweating returned again earlier this year so I saw GP recently & requested a change because of the symptoms and the fact I now know more about HRT & don't think I should have been on Kliofem due to my medical history. GP agreed to start me on Oestrogel & Utrogestan. So, I have been on 4 pumps Oestrogel for 4 weeks now. Apparently, this is giving me about 3mg oestrogen.

Unfortunately, I have had no improvement in the sweating yet. I know 4 weeks isn't very long but I'm sure the last time I changed the tablets and the higher dose it didn't take 4 weeks to see an improvement. I'm so desperate to end the sweating that I'm wondering if I should try upping the Oestrogel to 5 pumps? I'm sure I read on the Oestrogel info leaflet that if you've seen no improvement in symptoms after 4 weeks, you could increase the dose but now I can't find that info anywhere.

My GP is kind but clueless about HRT and I wouldn't get even a telephone appointment to discuss it for about a month anyway, so I'm just thinking should I go ahead and up the dose myself, or continue on the 4 pumps and see if it does improve? What would you do?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 09:13:14 AM by Gill67 »

Limpy

Re: Should/could I try an extra pump of Oestrogel? What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 10:04:28 AM »

If it were me I would up the dose and see if things improve. If they do, tell your GP what you've done citing the Oestrogel leaflet as the reason why.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:06:05 PM »

Thermo regulatory issues usually go within a couple of weeks so if it was me I would increase the dose too.

Gill67

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 03:50:29 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies, I think I’ll give it a go. Just sat dripping through a work lunch, constantly dabbing my face and forehead to stop trickles of sweat running down my face. I can’t go on like this much longer !