Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: amitrypline  (Read 4328 times)

Amazing grace

Re: amitrypline
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 12:49:39 PM »

Amitriptyline is definitely not an anti epilepsy drug, its a tricyclic antidepressant, only used at higher doses for depression, not used for that much these days as the newer style ssri drugs replaced them, it's mostly used for, IBS, IC, insomnia, migraines and nerve pain these days at lower doses, odd that you were told it was used for that purpose CLKD, my grandad and uncle have epilepsy and have never been told to use amitriptyline, are you sure your not confusing it with gabapentin and pregabalin which are anti epilepsy drugs but also used for nerve related pain x

Limpy

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 02:06:48 PM »

Strange that: I was told in the 1990s it was used as an anti-epilepsy drug and never as an AD: many types of which I began taking in the 1980s.

CLKD could you possibly be confusing Amitrypline with Gabapentin?
That is an anti epilepsydrug that has also been used for pain relief.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:08:24 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 02:19:36 PM »

Nope.  Never been prescribed either.  I know what I was told by my GP and a pharmacist in the 1990s.  Ah well.

discogirl

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »

Hi marchlove,

Thanks so much for your lovely words of encouragement.

You're so lovely and kind

xxxx
Hi Discogirl

I was on it for about three years. Initially it worked well for sleep but over time it stopped doing so.

It took me a year to come off it. Slowly slowly, until I was down to a few bits from cut tablet and then every other night, then nothing.

The end result was I felt like I did before I started taking it, no better or worse.
 Certainly it didn’t end up helping my insomnia.

But don’t be discouraged, my insomnia is so much better and yours will be too given time.

Mx

discogirl

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 03:32:10 PM »

I also came off with out my gps help, as she also said there's no way it causes sleep issues but it definitely does, it's also listed in the side effects In the PIL that Comes with it, I did 5mg for a month then every other day for a month then stopped, it's was around a month and my sleep was much better, if sleep wasn't an issue for you before amitriptyline yours will probably return to normal quicker than it did for me, thanks for your well wishes that's so nice of you, I too hope your get off it OK and get your sleep back, insomnia is awful makes everything so much worse when you can't sleep doesn't it, good luck and hope you are sleeping well soon xx

Thanks so much for your kind words Amazing grace xxx

Amazing grace

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2022, 03:39:16 PM »

You are very welcome xx

Mary G

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »

I'm getting on well with amitriptyline for migraine prevention.   I think its success depends on dose and reason for taking it.

My type of silent migraines with cortical spreading depression react well to old fashioned TCAs as opposed to the newer types of ADs which can actually cause migraine aura.

I think much depends on the dosage and at lower doses, amitriptyline does not work as an antidepressant, it's used for migraine prevention, pain control and IBS-D so not a good choice for anyone with constipation.

From what I have read, side effects (like drying out tissues) kick in on high doses ie over 75mg but obviously not everyone will agree and some people will not get on with it at all.   I suppose it depends on how your brain is wired up!

Lyncola

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 04:55:22 AM »

I love my amitriptyline, I’m taking 100mg. My neurologist put me on it because I was having 100 plus facial pains and headaches a day. I’m now range between 0-4 a day.
I’m getting the best sleep, dry up my nose problem. And my mood is amazing, was highly depressed July 2021. And apart from the odd dry mouth no side effects at well
Pages: 1 [2]