Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Should I take Testosterone if libido ok and oestrogel working well?  (Read 1459 times)

laszla

Re: Should I take Testosterone if libido ok and oestrogel working well?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »

Hurdity, when I mention clinicians and researchers I’m not referring to self-styled HRT ‘experts’ without medical degrees writing columns in Cosmopolitan etc.

I’m referring, among others, and because I have direct experience of some of them, to medics like Nick Panay and colleagues at Chelsea & Westminster. While the BMS refuse to acknowledge that T does anything other than improve sexual function, Panay et al. unequivocally say (to patients and in public interventions) that it affects cognitive function, musculoskeletal health and mood. Less often mentioned, but established in two studies, is T’s breast protective action. Not to mention the protective role of other androgens such as Dhea, Dht, Dhea-s.

It is irrational, I would even say preposterous, for them to maintain that the depletion of a major sex hormone would affect just one function, when men and women have sex hormone receptors throughout so many of the body’s systems.

I agree with you that evidence-based findings are in principle the way to go, but looking into the machinations of medical research, one soon realises that it is a highly flawed system.
Most studies are small, and/or limited and unbalanced in some way and in the last 10 years or so many findings even of larger studies in medicine and science have been called into question because of the ‘Replication Crisis’ - ie. the virtual impossibility of reproducing the same results of a study in repeated investigations, thereby undermining the robustness of the original results.

At the same time, an enormous and well-funded study such as the WHI one in America that wiped HRT off the menu for years, was a complete travesty.

Even Randomised Control Trials, the so-called gold standard of medical testing, have many pitfalls. And what study doesn’t end with that old chestnut “more research is needed to establish X, Y, Z”…
All this to say that ‘evidence-based’ research is an extremely imperfect enterprise.

More generally, I also find that an organization – the BMS -  that claims that “most menopause care is ably provided by primary care teams” diminishes its credibility, given that virtually every day on this forum there is a ‘read it and weep’ post about seriously subpar GP menopause ‘support’ and on here we’re only a tiny fraction of affected women.

laszla

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 02:21:34 PM »

Lily, whatever one's HRT regime exercise is hugely helpful physically and mentally. I also found my legs became much stronger with the addition of T, having been pretty active all my life I got to the stage where standing up after squatting down in a shop to get something from a lower shelf became a major enterprise!

Lily102

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 03:25:08 PM »

Laszla and Gnatty thanks for your replies. I agree with Laszla

" that evidence-based findings are in principle the way to go, but looking into the machinations of medical research, one soon realises that it is a highly flawed system.
Most studies are small, and/or limited and unbalanced in some way and in the last 10 years or so many findings even of larger studies in medicine and science have been called into question because of the ‘Replication Crisis’ - ie. the virtual impossibility of reproducing the same results of a study in repeated investigations, thereby undermining the robustness of the original results."

So to that end, I think reading around as much as possible (whilst knowing the limitations is the way to go). And i've spent a lot of today doing that. After 5 great days of high energy, I'd hoped I was done and dusted for a while!!

I'm leaning more towards sticking with oestrogel (2 to 3 pumps)and utorgestan (100 mg for 25 days) for another 2 weeks and then adding T.

I started Oestrogel on the 4th day of Follicular phase (day 8-14 ish). I had already taken 2 of the Femoston oestrogen-only tablets as I hadn't expected the new prescription to come through so quickly. I'm now in the Luetal cycle which has always (before peri menopause)  been horrible for me (low energy and low mood) so this might be the problem rather than too little estrogen or too much progesterone.

Read all about the cycles today (listed below so I can keep these cycles clear in my head) as need to know as much as I can about all this.

Menstruation (day 1-7ish)
Follicular phase (day 8-14 ish)
Ovulation (day 15-21ish)
Luteal phase (day 22-28ish)

Utorgestan being a natural progestogen hormone, derived from plants that are biochemically identical to the progesterone hormone produced by your ovaries MIGHT BE a better option than Mirena coil which is synthetic. But Mirena coil can help with Fibroids which I'm wondering if I now might have ( few hours of awful period pain I had each month with Fem 2/10).  Mentioned this pain to the doctor a few years back but she never suggested that it might be fibroids. Came across fibroids on the forum here today as somebody on oestrogel & utrogestan described the exact same few-hour pain symptom as me. I have lightish to medium blood flow periods. That person is going for a scan. I'll wait for her reply before I check for fibroids. I can cope with ibuprofen for a while longer. A few hours or days of pain is a small price to pay.

margherita

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »

I agree with you that evidence-based findings are in principle the way to go, but looking into the machinations of medical research, one soon realises that it is a highly flawed system.
Most studies are small, and/or limited and unbalanced in some way and in the last 10 years or so many findings even of larger studies in medicine and science have been called into question because of the ‘Replication Crisis’ - ie. the virtual impossibility of reproducing the same results of a study in repeated investigations, thereby undermining the robustness of the original results.

At the same time, an enormous and well-funded study such as the WHI one in America that wiped HRT off the menu for years, was a complete travesty.

Even Randomised Control Trials, the so-called gold standard of medical testing, have many pitfalls. And what study doesn’t end with that old chestnut “more research is needed to establish X, Y, Z”…
All this to say that ‘evidence-based’ research is an extremely imperfect enterprise.

I had vaguely heard of the Replication Crisis but went into a bit of a rabbit hole reading up on it after seeing this post and wow, scientific/medical research is light years away from the near perfect machine it's often perceived to be and malpractice and myriad biases are rife. Found this to be a very good article that explains these issues if anyone's interested in following up. https://www.researchsquare.com/blog/how-the-dissemination-crisis-created-the-replication

Hope you manage to get some answers Lily, I would definitely consider T though it sounds like you have a few other things to clarify first
Pages: 1 [2]