Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal cream  (Read 2758 times)

Rocky

Vaginal cream
« on: September 04, 2022, 01:26:04 PM »

Hello, I am 69 and was prescribed vaginal estrogen as I am still having sex which made my vagina sore and bleed a little bit. My partner recently cannot have sex so I stopped using the cream. I have experienced drenching night sweats, PJs sheets, hair etc. could this be because I stopped the estrogen?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal cream
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 01:38:02 PM »

Hi!  Vaginal atrophy treatment should be used on a continual basis for ever.  Initially it's for 2-3 weeks nightly, followed by as necessary: recommended is every 3/4th and 5/6th night.  Some require it nightly as well as a moisturiser or 'ovestin' for the labia to stop the skin thinning = itching.

What are your periods doing?  Mine waxed and waned for several years B4 stopping, which is when peri-menopause symtoms might start.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Browse round.  Make notes ;-)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »

Hello Rocky. Welcome to the forum. I agree with CLKD. You will need to use the cream forever. Not using the cream should not have made you have night sweats. That is usually helped with HRT. Are you taking any HRT at all?

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »

Agree with the comments above, don't stop using the cream, as mentioned it is for life and Vaginal Atrophy will turn into a chronic condition if not treated.

Rocky

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I will carry on with the cream. As I am 69 not on HRT, but from what you are saying the night sweats could be hormonal? I thought it might be the hot weather but don’t think that would cause drenching.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 05:31:50 PM »

I would say that it's definitely hot flushes you are experiencing, a horrible side effect of the menopause.

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 05:36:21 PM »

Hello Rocky & welcome to the forum.  I agree with the others that regardless of whether intimacy is a factor, continuing with the vaginal oestrogen should help you stay comfortable & prevent further troublesome deterioration of the urogenital tract that so many of us experience as we age.  If your night sweats are not easing as the very hot weather has passed though, I would also mention to your GP that these have recently started as there can be other reasons for them that he/she may want to check out for you.
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 05:50:43 PM »

69 doesn't mean that you can't be prescribed HRT if necessary :-)

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 09:19:04 AM »

Hi again, just looked at the  leaflet inside the box, and it does say it is an HRT preparation with all the risks, and the gynacologist who prescribed it said to me, be careful, don’t take too much as it is HRT. So I guess that answers my question, as weather much cooler but still bad  nights sweats. I will continue with it and see how things go.

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 09:59:17 AM »

Don't worry about the leaflet, it's well known that using HRT vaginally is safe with much less risk of causing any issues.
My leaflet goes straight in the bin, Vaginal Atrophy is not something you can live with unfortunately, so treatment it is!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM »

Ayesha is right. I wish they got rid of those leaflets as it only scares people. You can use the cream every single day. How odd a gyno would warn you about it. It is very mild and not dangerous.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 07:37:58 PM »

I agree with Ayesha and Flossieteacake, ignore the leaflet and use your Ovestin daily if you need too.  l am the same age as you and am still on hrt, l also use Ovestin as and when l need it.

Pippa52

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 01:02:11 PM »

Hi I am 69! (Hysterectomy and no ovaries) and am on Oestrogel HRT. I have just also been prescribed Ovestin and still continue with love making with my Husband. I find HRT makes a massive difference to my life and whether I was still sexually active or not I would definitely still take it I think. So sorry to hear of the symptoms you are experiencing they really are so debilitating and I do hope that you start to feel better soon x

Rocky

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 10:15:32 AM »

Thank you ladies for all your advice. Will continue back on the vaginal cream, I realise it will take a while to work. xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »

Rocky - Quality of Life is important.  Some menopause Doctors are trying to get those leaflets in the various VA treatment boxes altered !  I never read any leaflets in boxes other than Paracetamol  ;)
Pages: [1] 2