Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: oral hrt recommendations  (Read 725 times)

vintagefiend

oral hrt recommendations
« on: September 03, 2022, 05:22:50 PM »

Hi, been having a horrible time on oestrogel, then estradot. very small amounts, can't cut down any more

I've stopped everything since yesterday as so fed up- among other symptoms, anxiety (palpitations on waking particularly, also waking up every couple hours) and a very black mood.

i have no ovaries (or womb) would really like some form of oestrogen (and testosterone at some point)

i think i've done so much jigging around that i just need to rest and recalibrate!

i also wondered about taking oestrogen in an oral format- is this still possible? i realise it's seen as less safe but i do wonder if trans-dermal just isn't suiting me.

i'm 50 and menopausal naturally around 47. removal ovaries/womb 2 years later.

specifically, i sweat more than the average person on my trunk and legs!! this is due to a previous operation. it's not a problem when sedentary, but when i'm very hot and certainly when i exercise it's bad!! i've only been exercising for the last 2 or 3 months- first time in decades!- i'm certain it affects my patch- less so the gel as obvs that's a daily application, and placed after exercise, then absorbed. i dunno, i'm worn out and i know i'll start to slip as my oestradiol plummets to zero but i don't know what to do.

vintagefiend

Re: oral hrt recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 06:13:48 PM »

i also sweat more on my arms more than the average person!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »

Hi! do U have an over acting sweating mechanism, I expect it's got a medical terminology  ::)

Even when ovaries are removed, a small stub may be left behind which will generate small amounts of oestrogen.  Enough sometimes to cause symptoms.  When did you have surgery?  R U due for a follow up consultation?

MayB ask to be referred to a dedicated menopause Clinic?  Let us know how you get on.

vintagefiend

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 08:24:54 PM »

hi CLKD
thanks for response- the sweat thing is from previous op yonks ago- it's a known side effect- never been too much of an issue until i tried exercise and patches!
i might think about the newson centre tho have thrown a lot of cash at all this!!
i think i just need to reset right now- then i'll think about what to do.
didnt know about the ovary stub- i dont have follow up but might get one soon as surgeon didnt give testosterone- ive written to him to ask for it and he said happy to prescribe in principle- so thats good news tho i need to be in a better place with oestrogen. had ovaries out 2 years ago
ah am waffling! i'm just venting re hrt really- just fed up with it not working as it should.
hope you're well x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 08:13:57 AM »

A dedicated menopause clinic is the way to go as gynaes rarely know much about HRT ;-)

Let us know how you get on.

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 06:34:30 AM »

Hi there are lots of different types of estrogen to try ,

look at the treatment tab at the top of the page. Firstly i would get the thyriod and vitamins checked - D, B12 and iron ( ferritin levels should be 80 - 150 for health).  Then once you have ruled out these things making you feel rubbish, then look at starting HRT again perhaps.

Start low and do not chop and change for 3 months. It took me 3 months to feel better and I nearly gave up several times. Your body needs time to adjust.
 Ask to be referred to an NHS menopause clinic.
Go on Louise Newsons website and listen to her pod casts .

I hope you feel better soon.

PMX

vintagefiend

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 07:22:51 AM »

thanks pepperminty,

really useful info
will def get thyroid etc checked
just spotted the treatment tab so will check that out
the temptation to take any form of hrt is strong today as feel pretty low but my brain tells me to just rest it for a bit- i've messed around so much.
when i've reset my baseline-to zero-i will definitely stick at one type and one dose of hrt!
thanks- i feel less alone :)