Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: First week of HRT  (Read 1249 times)

CelesteM

First week of HRT
« on: September 03, 2022, 09:26:18 PM »

Good morning from Australia,
I’m 9 months post menopause nearly 51 and after many annoying menopause symptoms coming out of nowhere in last 2 months I have finally started taking HRT. I had 3 days of the Estalis conti which I ripped off after suffering 24/7 period pains (I rarely had them when I did have a period!), so my doctor prescribed me Femoston conti 1/5, which I been on for one week now. Can anyone advise me how long it takes to notice the difference? I’m still waking at 3am, irritable, tired, dry and still feeling anxious etc. My hot flushes and slight joint pain have gone but they were never really that bad. I’m also feeling very thirsty, but other than that no real side effects. Should I stick it out for the 2 month prescription? It’s the lower dose.
Also, the other question I have is that have I left hrt a bit late being nearly 9months post last period? I’m worried for my future health as my recent tests have shown high cholesterol, higher blood pressure, but still normal range (use to be quite low in my mid 40s) and I have seemed to have aged a lot in the last 2 years and gained a little weight especially around the waist. Very frustrating as I’ve always been slim and now most of wardrobe is unused. I also have zero libido, it feels like suddenly that part of my life is over! I don’t even find men attractive anymore-zero interest…I feel like I’m suddenly an old lady at 50!
My neighbour who is 58 has gone through the menopause symptoms,  which are now over (took 6 years) never took HRT, looks amazing and young and is very healthy! I’m very confused about this time of life and what I should be doing. Should I be doing more than just take hrt? I regularly exercise and eat well. Thank you everyone!

Flossieteacake

Re: First week of HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »

Hello CelestM. ( Just to say your dog is so cute). I think one week is early to feel better. I know everybody is different but I did not see any improvement for a few months. I think it is very encouraging the joint pain has gone with the hot flushes. Although they were not too bad it still shows something positive is happening. The thirst is annoying. I have had that too.

I do not think you have left it too late at all. 9 months after your last period is not late. You loosing your libido is understandable. Thing of all the changes that is happening to your body. Once your symptoms are under control you can see if that helps. Are you using anything for vaginal atrophy? I am not sure if you know what that is but there are lots of useful threads on here to explain more. It is were lack of oestrogen causes the vagina and vulva to be dry and sore. It often comes with bladder symptoms that mimic UTI's.

There are some people who seem to sail through menopause but for many of us it is not like that. I think you are doing all you can. It is just a matter of time for the HRT to help. Please do not beat yourself up and think others are sailing through it. Many of us do not.

Nicodemus

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 08:12:59 AM »

Hi Celeste
In the Uk we are usually advised that it takes at least 3 months on HRT to see a difference. For me, the night sweats disappeared almost immediately but other symptoms haven't gone yet though they are improving. I'm about 3 months in but on patches. A week is very early days so I wouldn't worry too much if nothing else is improving yet.

Feeling thirsty can be a symptom of underactive thyroid  - have you had this checked?

If you are still suffering with dryness after some time on the HRT it could be that you need vaginal oestrogen as well as the femoston, particularly if you have or start getting bladder problems. It could be worth checking for visual signs of vaginal atrophy - shrinking of the labia and clitoris. I'm also finding sea buckthorn capsules good for dryness but I don't know if you can get it in Oz - it's a supplement rather than prescribed. Some women also use vaginal moisturisers - YesVM or YesOB, Sylk, Olive & Bee (which is Australian) though I found some of them irritating - it's a bit trial and error. It's probably worth trying these out now if you're uncomfortable rather than waiting to see if HRT sorts it out.

I think for low libido some women need testosterone - I don't know much about this but there are some women here on it who can probably advise.

I don't think you have left it too late - 50 seems about average on this forum for starting HRT. It is worth speaking with your doctor regarding the blood pressure and cholesterol though. It sounds as though you are doing the right things regarding exercise and diet.

Nas

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 11:35:21 AM »

Excellent advice from the other members.

One thing I noticed and that is you say you are 9 months on from your last period and you are on a conti regime? Usually a conti regime is prescribed for ladies at least 12 months from their last period, otherwise you could be at risk from break through bleeding. Just something to consider, that’s all. Femeston does come in a sequi format I think, so maybe mention it to your GP?

Best of luck, it’s a right old roller coaster ride for sure!

We are all here with you 😊
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:37:31 AM by Nas »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 01:04:17 PM »

Intense thirst may equal diabetes.

:welcomemm:  some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

CelesteM

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 03:07:58 AM »

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! Yes this time of my life is so radically different from how I was even one year ago, it’s going to take me awhile to get use to it!
My doctor made me have a complete check of all my blood work twice (fasting and non fasting) before she would start me on HRT. Also, a breast scan and pap smear. Everything came back normal except for higher cholesterol and low vitamin D which I am now taking vit d supplement and a statin medication for. No diabetes or thyroid issues. Also regarding VA I have noticed I need to go to the bathroom more and as I said in my post I really feel dead down there, no libido at all! I will ask my doctor about therapy at my next visit.
The thirsty feeling only started the day I started the Femoston. It’s making me drink more water, which is probably a positive!
Sorry but I am suffering from mine fog too! I am 4 months post menopause, 16 months since my last period. Thanks again!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! Yes this time of my life is so radically different from how I was even one year ago, it’s going to take me awhile to get use to it!
My doctor made me have a complete check of all my blood work twice (fasting and non fasting) before she would start me on HRT. Also, a breast scan and pap smear. Everything came back normal except for higher cholesterol and low vitamin D which I am now taking vit d supplement and a statin medication for. No diabetes or thyroid issues. Also regarding VA I have noticed I need to go to the bathroom more and as I said in my post I really feel dead down there, no libido at all! I will ask my doctor about therapy at my next visit.
The thirsty feeling only started the day I started the Femoston. It’s making me drink more water, which is probably a positive!
Sorry but I am suffering from mine fog too! I am 4 months post menopause, 16 months since my last period. Thanks again!

Brain fog is a common symptom so do not worry. There is even a light hearted thread on here about it. :)

It is reassuring you have had tests done. You will feel a lot better once you have something for the vaginal atrophy. You could ask for vagifem and ovestin. Vagifem is a pessary that is inserted and Ovestin is a cream that can be used for the outer area.

Emm225

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 10:04:46 AM »

As others say...can take a while...leave it a few months.  I put a bit of weight on and have always been slim and felt very tired and unwell at first but now I wouldn't be without it.  Yes , my middle might be slightly thicker but it might have got that way anyway, and to be honest mentally...and physically...it has made such a difference I wouldn't be without it.  See how it goes...