Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: severe anxiety  (Read 1289 times)

Dougal

severe anxiety
« on: August 24, 2022, 10:38:53 AM »

hello all
I am 57 and post menopause by about 2 years. I cannot take HRT.  I have recently been diagnosed with a tree pollen allergy. I also have ear trouble, I am currently under the consultant for tests etc. I am beyond fearful due to general anaesthetic phobia, as I fear i may have to have an operation. This is now out of control its all i think about. I also suffer with menopause hot flushes and fatigue aswell as anxiety. My Doctor tried me on setraline, this made the flushes much worse. I am about to start citalopram. does anyone have any idea on how i can overcome all this. I am starting telephone anxiety counselling next week. What can i take instead of HRT alongside my citalopram. does anyone else have this phobia. I feel i am going mad.

Flossieteacake

Re: severe anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 10:49:45 AM »

Hello Dougal. Are you taking antihistamines for your tree pollen allergy? They will help you so much. I can understand your anxiety over your ear issue as you are not sure what to expect. Citalopram may help you to feel less anxious and the counselling will help too. You can use the sessions to discuss the worries you have.

You are not going mad. I think fear of anaesthic is a very common one. I have a phobia of needles so I know how you feel.

Pippa52

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 11:30:26 AM »

So sorry to hear you’re suffering anxiety is a really dreadful thing to have to deal with  my heart goes out to you. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 01:20:14 PM »

What are your fears based upon?  I fear vomiting after GA so my anesthetist gave me an-sickness medication b4 surgery, 1 small dose during and another in recovery.  Job Done!

It's the best sleep that I have  ::).

The most important thing is to tell the medical team should you require surgery.  Make a short note of your fears to hand to the Ward Sister, the Consultant and the Anaesthetist B4 signing any consent forms.

Is there a particular reason why you are unable t consider HRT?  There are many ways of delivering into the body - mayB make a list of symptoms to decide which one you would like to ease, then ask away about treatments to consider.

Let us know how you get on.   :welcomemm:

Dougal

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 01:08:28 PM »

Thank you for your replies.
I am unable to take HRT due to having a retinol thrombosis during a pregnancy - many years ago. I did take patches and a tablet form on trial under a gynaecologist - but this made me bleed and i developed a breast lump - cyst so had to stop.
Am suffering sweats and severe anxiety. Wondered what I could try in addition to citalopram.
x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 02:55:33 PM »

R U under the care of a Dermatologist or ENT Consultant re the pollen allergy?

MayB consider a de-sensitising course?  How much Citalopram are you taking, is this specific to ease hot flushes?

laszla

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 03:47:38 PM »

Dougal one of the few evidence based things that has been shown to help menopausal symptoms as an alternative to HRT is acupuncture.
If - hopefully - your phobia doesn't extend to needles then it might be worth a try.
For the anxiety side of things, the usual suspects such as mindfulness meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, EFT are all really helpful and you can choose meditation and yoga routines specifically aimed at anxiety. Insight timer is a huge free app with meditation, and Yoga with Adriene on youtube has lovely, relaxing yoga sequences and she has a real gift for soothing one I find.

I go to the meno clinic at Chelsea and Westminster and although I'm on an industrial strength regime of HRT, the consultant always also adds 'yoga, mindfulness and CBT (the only of these I don't like) in the section of what he's prescribing me.

Carinda

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 07:06:13 PM »

Hi - I can relate to your phobia. Infact I've had phobias to medications my whole life and I don't even take paracetamol (tied to contamination OCD) but a GA was THE most terrifying thing ever. Imaginably terrifying, my worst nightmare. I had never had one, but found out that I needed a very important/critical surgery about 7 years ago (in my late 40s). I was in meltdown, totally, in all honesty I decided I would rather take my chances without the surgery (it was for cancer!) I was so unable to cope and was convinced I'd die during it. The after hysterical 'weighing up' I realised that the cancer would have one definite outcome, but the GA had at least an outcome of everything being fine. I started by looking up hypnosis as a possibility - but found out I didn't have enough time to follow that route through.

So, How did I manage it ? I told the nurses doing my premed a couple of weeks before that I had a severe phobia/anxiety (even talking about it my BP went into the high range!) and requested to speak directly in a one to one meeting with an anaethetist  - just me, him and my raft of questions/fears. He spent a long time explaining everything to me; do people die on the table ? How do they save people who have a reaction ? What if, what if, what if.......etc'. He answered everything, he wasn't patronising and was so encouraging and calm in his answers. He was truthful though, he told me stories of the sorts of people who were at risk, those who had needed additional medication to reverse the GA and things like that. I had to trust the person doing the anaesthetic, and I trusted him, he put some of my fears to rest. I felt safer after the answers than I did before, but it didn't go just like that in the flick of a switch I still was panicky but I was able to push myself to get there. You could do the same thing if it came to you needing an operation, in advance request the opportunity to talk with the anaethetist. 

One thing did occur to me at the time, you have a set of the most highly trained medical professionals around you during surgery watching your every stat and the minutia of your health, the anaethetist is the most highly trained of them all - years longer than other medical 'trades'. It is their life, their duty their resolve to safetly get every person through that surgery. Where else in your life do you have such a set of professionals checking your wellbeing every second ? The chances are you are at much less risk on that operating table than you are eating your tea alone at home.

Would I do it again ? Yes, I would....I can't say I'd be calm and cheerful about it, far far from it, but educating myself on what really happens during it helped me learn to accept the process.

x
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 07:44:54 AM by Carinda »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 07:09:00 PM »

Hi - I can relate to your phobia. Infact I've had phobias to medications my whole life and I don't even take paracetamol (tied to contamination OCD) but a GA was THE most terrifying thing ever. Imaginably terrifying, my worst nightmare. I had never had one, but found out that I needed a very important/critical surgery about 7 years ago (in my late 40s). I was in meltdown, totally, in all honesty I felt I would rather take my chances without the surgery (it was for cancer!) I was so unable to cope and was convinced I'd die during it. I started by looking up hypnosis as a possibility - but found out I didn't have enough time to follow that route through.

So, How did I manage it ? I requested to speak directly in a one to one meeting with an anaethetist a couple of weeks in advance due to extreme anxiety/phobia - just me, him and my raft of questions/fears. He spent a long time explaining everything to me; do people die on the table ? How do they save people who have a reaction ? What if, what if, what if.......etc'. He answered everything, he wasn't patronising and was so encouraging and calm in his answers. He was truthful though, he told me stories of the sorts of people who were at risk, those who had needed additional medication to reverse the GA and things like that. I had to trust the person doing the anaesthetic, and I trusted him, he put some of my fears to rest. I felt safer after the answers than I did before, but it didn't go just like that in the flick of a switch I still was panicky just this time I was able to push myself to get there. You could do the same thing if it came to you needing an operation, in advance request the opportunity to talk with the anaethetist. 

One thing did occur to me at the time, you have a set of the most highly trained medical professionals around you during surgery watching your every stat and the minutia of your health, the anaethetist is the most highly trained of them all - years longer than other medical 'trades'. It is their life, their duty their resolve to safetly get every person through that surgery. Where else in your life do you have such a set of professionals checking your wellbeing every second ? The chances are you are at much less risk on that operating table than you are eating your tea alone at home.

Would I do it again ? Yes, I would....I can't say I'd be calm and cheerful about it, far far from it, but educating myself on what really happens during it helped me learn to accept the process.

x

You are so brave to manage to face your biggest fear. It is so encouraging to hear how kind and understanding the anaesthetist was. That really makes all the difference when a doctor is caring. I hope you are okay now and the surgery worked.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 07:09:48 PM »

Carinda - I did exactly the same B4 elective surgery.  The Anaesthesist was then able to monitor the amount of GA given, any meds that were required B4, during and after the surgery.  Came through fine.  Phobias are over whelming  :'( :-\

Carinda

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 07:16:19 PM »

You are so brave to manage to face your biggest fear. It is so encouraging to hear how kind and understanding the anaesthetist was. That really makes all the difference when a doctor is caring. I hope you are okay now and the surgery worked.

Yes, I'm all good now thank you :) Its amazing what you can do when your back is against the wall to be honest Flossieteacake. That anaethetist was incredible, I almost feel I owe him my life with that one conversation. He even changed his shift on the rota so that he did my operation, and planned in advance that he was going to work at double quick speed with the team on the day to get the GA in place before I even had chance to think and ....run...... ;D

They are overwhelming CLKD, they aren't rational, but you are quite right in your previous post that the key here is communicating your fear to those who can help :(

.....but anyway, the hypnosis thing. Its not something I've ever done/considered, but I was that desperate that I was willing to try literally anything. Some people do say it has worked for extreme flying fear, and various other phobias, and I know you certainly aren't alone with the GA phobia - so might be another thing to look into.

You can also try to get some CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) to reframe your extreme/out of proportion response to the situation and the percieved risk. I didn't have time for this either, but if you get the ball rolling in advance it is something that can work. I tried to do a bit of my own at home - listing why this GA would be fine (e.g. I knew nobody that hadn't got through it fine, it was safer than driving my car somewhere, the clinicians were experts and would make sure I was ok etc etc and more etc), rereading it constantly, halting myself mentally from reenforcing negative outcomes and  generally trying to counteract the fear with a positive thought instead. There are stacks of self-help books also on dealing with phobias - another suggestion.

I was prescribed some diazepam to take before going to the hospital, I didn't use it in the end, but there is also the option to have some medication to make you calmer.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 07:46:15 AM by Carinda »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 07:18:19 PM »

Yes, I'm all good now thank you :) Its amazing what you can do when your back is against the wall to be honest Flossieteacake. That anaethetist was incredible, I almost feel I owe him my life with that one conversation. He even changed his shift on the rota so that he did my operation, and planned in advance that he was going to work at double quick speed with the team on the day to get the GA in place before I even had chance to think and ....run...... ;D

They are overwhelming CLKD, they aren't rational :(

I am happy to hear you are okay now. He really sounds like such an amazing person. :)

Marchlove

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »

This has been so enlightening to read, thank you.

I’ve had issues after anaesthetic’s follieing two operations. Awful awful mood symptoms and insomnia for days afterwards.
But another op I had, no problem’s at all. So I obviously react to certain medications.

I will certainly engage with the anaesthetist if I have to have any further surgery.

M x

ElkWarning

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 04:19:02 PM »

It's funny isn't it. I don't have a phobia of GA (even though I have phobias around lots of other things) despite an issue with one of the constituent elements ... We (my blood family) can't metabolise said element and we're at risk of respiratory arrest. I think the reason it doesn't scare me is because anaesthetists are so thorough when treating me and, like Carinda, I get walked through the whole procedure (anaesthesia-wise) every time ... Also, I used to work in a medical school and many anaesthetists and surgeons have the hyper vigilance aspect of anxiety finely honed as it helps them to be the best - in other words, I always found them empathetic / understanding.