Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen dominance/histamine intolerance  (Read 1015 times)

Samsz

Oestrogen dominance/histamine intolerance
« on: September 02, 2022, 09:42:43 PM »

Hi,
I changed my HRT patches to a gel as I wasn't absorbing. My only symptom was very bad insomnia which when at the right HRT level it is fine. I was on 125 mcg patch and my oestrogen blood test was only 100.
Anyway, so I now can sleep, but when I am up this high I get anxiety. Since the gel it hasn't eased - has just been there in the background. I am thinking I have histamine intolerance and am seeing a dietician next week.
Over the weekend I had a big health scare with my dog and it just sent my anxiety through the roof - I have never felt so bad - very out of control. I started citalopram to help (which I used to be on) and I think it made me 100% worse (due to the histamine I think?)
So I am trying to analyze my symptoms - I'm also wondering about Oestrogen dominance (I know you can have this even if your blood test is low) I am on the equivalent to 100mcg patch and take one progesterone - is this enough? Could this  be the root of the cause of anxiety?
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but I really am extremely spacey after the horrific last few days.
Thanks for listening....Samz

Marchlove

Re: Oestrogen dominance/histamine intolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 06:55:18 AM »

Hi Samsz

Sorry to hear of your anxiety. I have doggies too and I know when they are ill it is extremely worrying.

I think the reason you are sleeping now is because of the Utrogestan which usually has that effect.

Yes, estrogen can cause anxiety in some people, it’s all about getting the dose right. You have to go by symptoms not a single blood test result.

So what you could do is start slowly reducing the amount of gel you use.

Yes you could have histamine intolerance which is not helped by too much estrogen, hopefully the dietitian will be able to help you with this.

M x

Samsz

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 10:31:37 PM »

Hi M,

Thanks for your reply  :)
I think it is definitely the oestrogen that helps my sleep - when I increase a dose due to insomnia it always works, but then comes the anxiety. Newson Health clinic agree that my sleep is oestrogen related and just said to carry on with the same dose to see if the anxiety will ease, but its been about 5 weeks now and I'm really suffering.
I'm worried that the dietician won't properly understand the menopause side and things will get confusing!
I was hoping someone would know about oestrogen dominance causing anxiety and whether I should be on a higher progesterone dose as I am on a high oestrogen dose.....
Anyway - thanks again for your help  :)

Samsz

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »

Sorry, I also meant to say that NH said that yes, blood tests aren't reliable in the peri, but as mine was so low, even when fluctuating it should never go that low and so this was very telling that I am not absorbing.
I don't understand how if I'm not absorbing it I am getting side affects!
It is so confusing!

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 07:23:43 AM »

Yes estrogen dominance can cause anxiety and through trial and error that’s what I’ve found to be my own personal experience.

A serum blood test tells you what’s in your blood at any given moment in time not what’s in your cells and tissues.
It also depends  on what time of the month and even what time of the day you have the blood test done.

Are you in peri and on sequential or continuous progesterone? X

Samsz

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 02:12:09 PM »

Oh do you...... I'm on utrogestan continuously - 1 per night.
I am in peri.
So how did you help yourself with this oestrogen dominance? Do you take more progesterone?
I wonder if oestrogen dominance can give the same symptoms as histamine intolerance?
So you don't think that my bloods show that I'm not absorbing, is that what you mean?
Sorry to be bombarding you with so many questions - I am just at the end of my tether with this.
Thanks so much for your help x

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 02:51:35 PM »

Hi Sansz

What I’m saying is that bloods can fluctuate so much, especially in peri, that you need to go by symptoms and most importantly by what actually works for you.

I helped my self by taking a very low dose of estrogen (I’m post) and if I was still peri I’d consider not taking any at all apart from topical if I had VA.

So no I don’t take more progesterone.

Yes estrogen can cause histamine reactions, following a low histamine diet can be helpful, so hopefully the dietitian will help with this.

Newson Health seem to be in favour of high estrogen doses, this works for some but for a lot of women it doesn’t

I’m afraid there’s no magic one size fits all and it’s a question of you finding out what works for you.

Rest assured, you’ll get through this so don’t give up working out what works for you!

X

Samsz

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 03:07:14 PM »

Hi,

Yes that makes sense - I've actually halved the gel I am on today as I'd rather have insomnia than anxiety!
The only problem with if it is histamine related is that the diet is too restrictive for me as I a m a vegan!
Thanks again and hope you stay well x

Samsz

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 03:08:49 PM »

Sorry - by topical, do you mean gel? and what does VA stand for?
You will be sick of me soon! ;D

Marchlove

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 03:26:56 PM »

It might have been better to decrease a bit slower, but see how you go.

Yes being vegan will be an issue as a lot of the foods are high in histamine.

VA stands for vaginal atrophy which is basically your vagina becoming dry and sore due to lack of estrogen. You’d know if you’ve got it!  Lots of threads on here for you to look at if even it raises its head.

X

Samsz

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 05:42:51 PM »

I see - thanks again x