Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sudden dips  (Read 1474 times)

arc73

Sudden dips
« on: September 03, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »

Hi all

I've been on HRT just over a year now, first on Ostrogel plus Mirena and then Evorel Conti with Mirena due to the gel shortages

I don't think I have got to menopause yet and most of the time I feel much better since starting HRT

Every now and then it just seems to not work for a month or so. My boobs deflate, my VA gets worse and I ache/sleep badly. I'm on 75 patches, which usually are enough. In fact at times I have to drop to 50 due to my boobs coming back too much!

Is this quite typical with my own hormones fluctuating underneath the HRT? Do people adjust their dose up and down to manage?

Flossieteacake

Re: Sudden dips
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 05:53:20 PM »

Hello arc. I was just wondering how you are treating the VA? I know it says to use Ovestin or Vagifem twice a week but I find daily is much better. VA is painful and very distressing and I think it is important to use something daily.

I am unsure of the other question you have but I am sure somebody will be along soon with advice. :)

arc73

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 06:12:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply

I have ovestin, and also dermovate steroid as apparently I have lichen sclerosus, although the main symptom was pain with a small amount of redness.

I'm sporadic with the ovestin if I'm honest. I won't need it for a while and then suddenly a flare. It feels like the VA gets much better when my overall levels are higher

Clearly I do need to get back into a routine with the ovestin

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 06:40:10 PM »

Thanks for your reply

I have ovestin, and also dermovate steroid as apparently I have lichen sclerosus, although the main symptom was pain with a small amount of redness.

I'm sporadic with the ovestin if I'm honest. I won't need it for a while and then suddenly a flare. It feels like the VA gets much better when my overall levels are higher

Clearly I do need to get back into a routine with the ovestin

I am sorry you have lichen scloerous. I know VA is often misdiagnosed as that. I would try to use the ovestin daily to keep everything under control.

Can I ask why you sometimes use 50 then change to 75 and then drop again? I think HRT needs to be consistent. With me, my breasts are a lot bigger on the oestrogen and it is annoying but I think it will confuse your body if you change your dose.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »

Has the lichen sclerosis been diagnosed?  Steroid treatment shouldn't be used unless required as it can thin tissues.  R U due to a check up with a consultant?

Use the 'ovestin' every night if necessary.  When I get the need2P I swallow 2 'nurofen' capsules 3 times a day to ease the nip as the urine flow stops.  It has taken over 8 years of use to know that I no longer require treatment nightly, now that I recognise the niggles I can adjust as necessary. 

arc73

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 07:18:28 PM »

Yes I have a formal diagnosis of LS and am under a consultant. Nothing helped the pain even with daily steroid use until I started HRT.

I don't drop down to 50 patches very often, a week every 6 months maybe when my own hormones seem to be quite high and I have really swollen breasts and feel a bit over oestrogenised

I don't get the nip but seem to currently have an overactive bladder, when I need a wee now it can feel like I'm in danger of wetting myself. I bought d-mannose but its not worked noticeably

Hopefully in another few weeks this overall dip will end and I'll start sleeping and feeling more normal again

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 07:20:54 PM »

Yes I have a formal diagnosis of LS and am under a consultant. Nothing helped the pain even with daily steroid use until I started HRT.

I don't drop down to 50 patches very often, a week every 6 months maybe when my own hormones seem to be quite high and I have really swollen breasts and feel a bit over oestrogenised

I don't get the nip but seem to currently have an overactive bladder, when I need a wee now it can feel like I'm in danger of wetting myself. I bought d-mannose but its not worked noticeably

Hopefully in another few weeks this overall dip will end and I'll start sleeping and feeling more normal again

I also get the overactive bladder. It is horrid. You can ask for Vagifem to use along with Ovestin. They are pessaries and can be inserted while using the Ovestin for the outer area. D-mannose did not work for me either.

I hope the dip ends soon and you are back to your usual self. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 07:24:55 PM »

At least you have a diagnosis.

I would up the VA treatment for at least 3 weeks.