Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sleep Issues - Melatonin or Magnesium  (Read 1010 times)

discogirl

Sleep Issues - Melatonin or Magnesium
« on: August 30, 2022, 07:16:13 AM »

Hi all,

I'm having terrible issues sleeping at the moment.

February of this year developed bi-lateral tinnitus, so dr put me on amitrypline. Prior to that I slept wonderfully.

To cut a long story short, I have just started on HRT because of anxiety and horrific insomnia. Insomnia is now getting to the point where it is affecting my very lovely and understanding hubby.

I am on estraderm patch 25mcg and 100 utrogestan.

I was just wondering I do take magnesium glycinate but I take it at a different time to the progesterone tablet.

My question was regarding melatonin as I'm wondering if this would help me get to sleep quicker. But does melatonin interact with HRT? As I want to give the HRT a good go.

Thanks all xxx

Gnatty

Re: Sleep Issues - Melatonin or Magnesium
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 07:55:01 AM »

How long have you been taking the hrt? If after a few weeks you still have no improvement you may need to increase the dose - 25mg is a very low dose - it suits some women but others often need a good bit more. But you can't rush these things. Melatonin is worth a try, the NHS can prescribe if you are over 50. To the best of my knowledge it's fine to take with hrt.
Hang on in there, things will improve for you. I know how anxious you must be to start feeling better but start low and go slow as is so often said on here is the best advice.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »

Hi Gnatty,

I have only been on HRT since last thursday so obviously still far too soon to gauge, but I agree I may need a higher dose, however as you say low and slow is best.

Thanks so much for your help, I will let you know how I get on

xxxx

Louise2010

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 09:31:23 AM »

Hi
How is your sleep doing now discogirl?
I take magnesium glycinate with my evening meal that helps me.
When I had terrible insomnia my HRT wasn’t working. I had to increase my oestrogel to stabilise which helped.
I also took melatonin as I was desperate and took that directly before bed. I don’t take it now because my sleep pattern has improved but I would take it again if I had to.
If you want to discuss further p,ease feel free to DM me.
Xx

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 10:26:46 AM »

Hi louise2010

How kind of you.

Well I've been on HRT for 2wks and the last few days my sleep pattern has been good (touch wood)

I think anxiety was driving the insomnia.

I too take magnesium bisglycinate just before bed and I really find it super. Really relaxes me.

I'm sorry your HRT wasn't working. Did you try another regime or are you off HRT altogether?

xxx