Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Excellent consultation with HRT nurse.  (Read 1636 times)

flossie fiddler

Excellent consultation with HRT nurse.
« on: August 30, 2022, 05:24:49 PM »

I posted here last week regarding the unsatisfactory consultation I’d had with a locum doctor at my practice. The practice manager was most helpful when I rang up with a grievance regarding my consultation, and made an appointment for me with HRT nurse at another practice.

I’ve been today, and the nurse was excellent, really knew her stuff and told me never to be fobbed off by somebody saying that I should come off HRT if I don’t want to. Prescribed me an additional 3 months supply of Everol Conti to go with the measly 1 box the locum gave me to shut me up.

We also talked about the Vagifem I’m currently on. She said it’s normal practice to come off it for four weeks every three months, to see how things are going. She advised that when I finished my first box of Conti, to take a four week break from Vagifem to see if I still have the dryness. The reason behind this, she said, is that lack of topical oestrogen can possibly cause thinning of the vaginal wall. She advised that after four weeks if I still feel I need to be on it, then start up again and do another three months with a four week break afterwards. She said that often the Conti patches alone can sort out the symptoms down below, but there’s no reason why I can’t use Vagifem if I feel the need, and is happy for me to experiment.

Seeing her again in 3 1/2 months. I’m a very happy bunny right now. I really felt like I was heard and understood.

Oh, and that rotten locum who told me that my blood pressure was too high, and only acceptable if I was 80, despite the asthma nurse the previous day saying it was fine… the nurse took it today and it was 124/78. Not bad at all for a 57 yet old!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:59:12 PM by Flossie Fiddler »

Flossieteacake

Re: Excellent consultation with HRT nurse.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 05:44:38 PM »

:hapij: This is such a wonderful post to read! I am so happy for you. I know how much it means to be understood and listened to. It is wonderful you have found a nurse who is knowledgeable.  :)

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »

Great news Flossie, you must be very pleased.

Interesting what she said about the topical oestrogen possibly causing thinning of the vaginal wall.

At the moment (age 65) I haven’t yet had to use it much at all and instead seem to be ok with just systemic low dose.

How wonderful to be listened to!

X

flossie fiddler

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »

:hapij: This is such a wonderful post to read! I am so happy for you. I know how much it means to be understood and listened to. It is wonderful you have found a nurse who is knowledgeable.  :)

Yes, I’m so happy. Really feel like I’m in good hands.

flossie fiddler

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 06:46:16 PM »

Great news Flossie, you must be very pleased.

Interesting what she said about the topical oestrogen possibly causing thinning of the vaginal wall.

At the moment (age 65) I haven’t yet had to use it much at all and instead seem to be ok with just systemic low dose.

How wonderful to be listened to!

X

I didn’t know about the topical oestrogen thing either. I’d never been told be the doctor who originally prescribed it that it needed a break every 3 months.

Marchlove

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 07:00:36 PM »

I don’t think they know Flossie, it’s a new one on me too.
But somehow I seem to have settled in my regime ‘down there’ and I think you will too. X

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 07:09:26 PM »

In all my puff I have never heard that one, about vaginal oestrogen thinning the vaginal walls  ;D. If your current regime keeps you comfortable, don't stop.

(I wonder where she got that idea - it doesn't seem to have filtered through to anyone else!)

JP x

Marchlove

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 07:25:56 PM »

It’s an odd one JP, to be sure x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 07:42:37 PM »

She's talking rubbish about the Vagifem  ::).  It is for Life.  Some ladies require treatment every night, some can cope with every 3/4th and 5/6th night.

I have found that I can go a few weeks without ovestin - when I ge the familiar niggles I use if for 5 nights.  Works for me.  I understand that VA treatment plumps up the vaginal walls .  She's also incorrect about HRT alone can ease symptoms.

Marchlove

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 08:02:31 PM »

In your experience CLKD, have you not found that systemic hrt can ease symptoms?

It’s so useful to hear of MM members personal experiences. X

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 08:17:20 PM »

I imagine it all depends on how much oestrogen you are using as to whether you need topical too. I find 3 and a half pumps of oestrogel plus testosterone is enough to not need vagifem or ovestin.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 08:09:46 AM »

'ovestin' suits me fine.  It was like razor blades  :o up there until my GP prescribed appropriate VA treatment.  Over 5 years ago, probably.