Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Need advice on post menopause Estrogen & testosterone  (Read 976 times)

Mags11

• First Flush
Need advice on post menopause Estrogen & testosterone
« on: August 30, 2022, 07:17:41 AM »

Hi ladies, sorry for the extremely long message below.

I am 7 years post menopause (57 years old) and started Lenzetto spray 4 months ago.  It keeps my hot flushes & night sweats away but I still feel tired all the time and my memory anf brain fog haven’t improved either.  I increased it from 2 to 3 sprays in the morning and when I saw the NHS doctor last week, I asked if I could try patches instead of the spray in case they made a difference and helped with my tiredness and energy levels. I started the Estradot patch just over a week ago 75mcg and after a few days I started to struggle to sleep.  I have never had a problem getting off to sleep, usually it only takes me around 5-10 mins but it has been taking me hours to get to sleep and last night I was awake till 5am :(  I’m at my wits end!  I usually go to bed between 10 and 10.30pm and wake up around 6am.  For the last 9-10 years I have always woken up approx 6-10 times a night but usually turn over and go back to sleep.  I had hoped that taking Estrogen would stop me waking up so much through the night.  I am also on Progesterone 100mg daily as I still have my womb.  Unfortunately the doctor won’t do blood tests for E or P on NHS and just go on change in symptoms.  I have also had a pain in my lower stomach for the last few days especially when I press it which I think is my bladder.  I was wondering if the jump to 75mcg patch from my spray has increased my levels and affected my sleep and if this is causing the pain in my bladder?  I’ve had a couple of headaches too and I never suffer from them.  Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated? 

I also have a query about testosterone.  My energy levels and stamina are extremely low, which makes exercising so much harder for me as I have always been a very active person.  I’m losing muscle mass and find it hard to build at all,  I’m putting on a lot of fat around my belly and my libido has been at zero for years now which really upsets me as my husband and I have always had a very active sex life and I just want to get that back.  I asked my doc if I could start testosterone.  She said my blood would need to be taken and asked me what I would do if it came back in the normal range.  I couldn’t believe she asked me that, I said I don’t have a clue as I don’t want to go through the rest of my life with no sex drive at all, I’m only 57.  I’ve looked up so much information on T levels and I’m waiting on Testosterone and SHBG results to come back so they can work out the FAI (free androgen index) %  I know Dr Louise Newson recommends anyone lower than 1.5% starting it but I’m sure the NHS figures are much lower than that, does anyone have more info on that? 

I also ripped off the patch this morning as I can’t take another night like that and was just going to use my Lenzetto spray from tomorrow.   I will call the docs today although I know I won’t get to speak to her as I always have to wait a few weeks for a phone appointment and she still hasn’t phoned me with the blood results and they were back last week apparently.  Do you think I should try the 50mcg patch instead?

Any thought on the above would be most appreciated as I’m desperate!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 07:27:51 AM by Mags11 »

Gnatty

Re: Need advice on post menopause Estrogen & testosterone
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 07:48:58 AM »

It sounds like the patches are possibly causing surges in oestrogen - I had similar experience ie no sleep on them and do much better on oestrogel. Why don't you go back to the Lenzetto as it was keeping away the hot flushes etc and then get yourself by hook or by crook some testosterone. I really believe this will help you with muscle mass, energy, libido and even sleep. In fact your symptoms are classic low testosterone. Hopefully you will be able to get some via the NHS. If this proves difficult then unfortunately you may have to go privately. Which is not how it should be! While you are waiting for sleep to settle have a read on some of our insomnia threads for over the counter ways to help you over this temporary problem.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 08:34:07 AM »

Hi the Lenzetto spray is weaker than was originally thought.  1-2 sprays is equivalent to a 25 patch.  The equivalent of a 75 patch would be more than 3 sprays. So its likely that 2 sprays was not enough to combat your symptoms, but the jump to a 75 patch was too much.

I would advise seeing your GP about the pain in your stomach as you cannot assume that it's caused by the HRT. x

Mags11

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 08:55:08 AM »

Thanks Dotty, it only started after I started taking the patch and actually feels like a ovulation pain I used to get but I think it’s poss bladder as it’s on both sides.  I started on the 75 patch as I was on 3 sprays of Lenzetto but as you say it might have just been too much for me and might have absorbed differently.  I will def speak to the doc.  I also meant to say in reply to Gnatty that I take Magnesium every evening already and also take a small amount of Melatonin to help with sleep also, not every night though. I have tried over the counter natural sleep remedies in the past but they never seemed to make much difference.

Floo36

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 12:19:17 PM »

It may also be that you don’t absorb anything from the patch, just a thought.  Perhaps go back to the spray as it seems that was helping, you may need a higher dose though or give it some more time. 

Mags11

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »

Thanks Floo36 I told the doc I will just go back to the spray at the moment as I can’t possibly go through another sleepless night.  She also got my Testosterone results back today and my levels were low, FAI 1.3% so she actually said I could start Testosterone, I’m shocked I didn’t have a fight on my hands and just praying it actually helps me 🤞

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 04:22:49 PM »

Hi Mags

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your HRT woes

Have you thought of taking the progesterone cyclically? Some women get continuous side effects from taking progesterone continuously, brain fog being one of them, headaches being another. I take it cyclically for this reason. Downside is you get a withdrawal bleed....which to me even in my late 60's is the lesser evil!

Good news about the testosterone! What have you been given? Go easy on it to start with and don't use as much as they suggest! The effect is not immediate....

Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Mags11

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, I discussed that with my doctor about progesterone but definitely don’t want to go back to bleeds and she thought it would benefit my sleeping taking it daily..  I’ve had the brain fog for years now and was hoping the Estrogen would help it. 

I think the Testosterone is Testim as she mentioned a tube and 1/10th pump of it every other day.  I will find out tomorrow when I pick up the prescription. So happy to finally get to try it 😃