Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What do I do if no HRT works?  (Read 1023 times)

Unicorn

What do I do if no HRT works?
« on: August 28, 2022, 04:23:12 PM »

I'm at my wits end and I can hardly function....

I'm 48 and been in perimenopause for about 4 years now.  Presently I suffer with terrible pounding heart, palpitations and hot face, especially morning but at the moment, it's virtually 24/7.  They make me feel sick and anxious and generally unwell 😪.  My periods are quite regular still.  I've suffered from anxiety in the past, but this feels 'different'.

I can cope with the other bits better but this is so severe.  It has lasted 2 weeks constant so far.

I have tried hrt patches, gel, and utrogestan, Sertraline but now I have come off all hrt and the sertraline as they were doing bugger all, even after increasing etc.  I was on them for months too. I have also tried propranolol but don't want to risk depression on those too.

Now I'm into 5 days on Fluoxetine, anything to make me feel more normal.  I really don't think hrt agrees with me and I feel a freak because it works for everyone else xx I may have to commit myself to a mental health facility soon if it doesn't ease 😪
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 04:29:53 PM by Unicorn »

Flossieteacake

Re: What do I do if no HRT works?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 06:16:02 PM »

From what I have seen on here, many members are unable to take HRT. You are not a freak. You are anxious and this is very distressing but it does not mean you need to be on a mental health ward.

If you cannot take HRT then perhaps you can take treatment for vaginal atrophy and manage the other symptoms with something else. I know we have spoken before about therapy and I really think you should try it. You could discuss your concerns over the physical symptoms you have and your fear of being on a mental health ward.

With therapy you can also learn coping methods. They can be used life long. You are not alone unicorn. We are all here to support you. It is just sad there is no quick fix. We can all help you one step at a time.

Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 06:25:54 PM »

🥰🥰🥰🥰 Flossieteacake, I owe you a pint 😁😁🥰

Everything else is relatively mild peri wise, I just cannot cope with this xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »

It is a lot to cope with. I guess I cannot change your mind about trying CBT? It could just be 6 sessions and they can be done at home via the phone or video.

Unicorn

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »

Thanks Flossie 🥰 I did try it when these symptoms started.... it really didn't help tbh.  I feel it's more physical than mental, if yswim? Xxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 08:01:03 PM »

Thanks Flossie 🥰 I did try it when these symptoms started.... it really didn't help tbh.  I feel it's more physical than mental, if yswim? Xxx

I do understand that. I am just sad it is making you feel so distressed. It is horrible for you.

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 08:32:41 PM »

Bless you Unicorn, unfortunately though it doesn’t work for everyone else, so don’t for one moment think you are a freak.

If you’re a freak, then so are the rest of us, so the best thing we can all do is try and stay grounded.

Yes hrt works for some without any problems, but I think the majority of us have to work harder at finding a balance.

I do hope you have a good night and find some acceptance and great  love for the real you.

Unicorn

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 10:41:10 PM »

Thank you Marchlove and Flossie 😊 💓  I'm currently on a night shift, so trying to keep focused on my work for now 😄🥰
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:48:23 PM by Unicorn »

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 06:40:49 AM »

Hi unicorn,

I also suffer with really bad anxiety; I had CBT and it helped a bit.

I have found this site to be invaluable even if its just to realise that other women are going through similar things.

So you are not along, sending love and hugs

xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 09:31:34 AM »

Anxiety for me is physical.  All the therapy in the world doesn't help.  'feel the fear' etc.,  >:( written by someone who had never been fearful? 

Anxiety hits instantly: feel sick, nauseous, shake from head to toe, curled into a ball within 3-4 secs..  Then my brain starts 'what if I don't recover'.  Fortunately my GP has given me an emergency pill: last taken in 2018 until Wed  :-\ :'(

Relaxation therapy helped.  Bachs rescue remedy might be an idea?  Others find exercise works, which is why many go jogging.  When I'm that anxious I can't leave the settee . 

Depending on which regime you are taking (sorry menobrain here), have you considered weaning off?  Which symptom did you begin taking it for?  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary will help if you decide to wean off.