Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: no sleep  (Read 3231 times)

ange63

no sleep
« on: September 05, 2022, 08:33:34 AM »

I am really struggling with insomnia.   Making me feel so unwell as I'm shattered.   Sometimes feel sick with tiredness and so light headed feel faint.   Had to give up my part time job as I simply cannot function.      Does anyone else suffer like this and has found anything works to improve sleep?   Thank you for any pearls of wisdom.   x 

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: no sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »

Omg, it’s just awful not sleeping. Makes everything else so worse.
I know some people take an antihistamine to help.
I take them if my anxiety’s too bad. Makes me sleep through the night mostly.
Of course, check first if you CAN take them if your on any meds for anything.
I take Benadryl Acrivastine as the other types seemed to make me ‘hung over’.
xx

ange63

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 09:59:26 AM »

Thanks Jilly, its probably the drowsy antihistamine you mean.   I'll have a look.   But need to be careful if its the Phenergan antihistamine as need to be careful with taking it long term.      I will have a look at your suggestion though.   Fingers crossed.....

ange63

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 10:09:43 AM »

Jilly just looked up the antihistamine you suggest,  strong stuff.    As I'm older, 59, not sure I could give it try.     Ho Hum!!

C.C.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »

I struggle sometimes, I know it's so annoying and frustrating. :-\ I have little problem falling asleep but once I'm awake it's so hard to go back to sleep. I've tried all sorts of things- I drink Chamomile before bed, it helps me fall asleep but then I have to get up during the night to pee.  I've tried Melatonin, doesn't really work consistently, I listen to sleep stories and meditations for a busy mind.  I went back to trying Magnesium and it seems to help, I'm experimenting with the right dose, right now I'm trying 300mg before bed.  I've tried Gravol (dimenhydramine) but I feel hung over in the morning.

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »

Hi ange63,

I really do feel for you; my sleep pattern (like a lot of ladies on this forum) is all over the place.

Been on HRT for two weeks and it seems to be slowly (touch wood) sorting itself out.

Low estrogen/progesterone can cause insomnia, the worst thing is anxiety drives the insomnia and it ends up like a viscious circle.

If you've always slept well, it can be important to find out why you've suddenenly started not sleeping and try to treat the underlying cause; ie. anxiety, hot flushes etc.

I take magnesium bisgycinate at night, it helps to calm and relax me and I also use rain and thunder sounds when falling asleep so it's something for my mind to anchor on.

Sometimes as well it can be useful to keep a notepad by your bed and before you go to sleep write down any worries you have, sometimes that helps just putting them on paper rather then them going round in your mind.

Let me know how you get on xxx

ange63

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 08:02:54 AM »

Thank you discogirl.       I'm still struggling with poor sleep.  Tried progesterone PV this week..... took first one in the day and never helped that night but used second one just before bed and I did feel more calm and managed 5/6 hours sleep so not great but better than nothing.  One thing though is I had a very vivid and unpleasant dream which is disturbing ...  getting Oestrogel today hopefully so will try the correct regime and see how I get on... fingers crossed... this will be 3rd type of HRT.

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »

hi ange63

i also suffer with poor sleep....never used to.

ive been on HRT 16 days oral utrogestan 100mg and 25mcg estraderm patch.

my sleep seems to be a liitle better as is anxiety but its early days.

let me know how you get on xx

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 02:07:07 PM »

My insomnia and anxiety were caused by oestrogen deficiency. Good luck with the new hrt regime, I hope it sorts it out.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 04:26:21 PM »

Yes. HRT helped a bit, but things got a lot worse when I had to deal with my abusive mother after my dad died. I was prescribed an antidepressant which helps with sleep. Now I only have the odd bad night, rather the odd good night.