Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Extreme Bloating and Fluid Retention/Weight Gain  (Read 1066 times)

Julie04

• First Flush
Extreme Bloating and Fluid Retention/Weight Gain
« on: August 27, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »

Hi everyone, I am 46 and have been on Elleste Duet 1mg for four months now, I have decided to stop today because I can't take anymore of the fluid retention and weight gain.  I run most days and eat the way I have always eaten but I just can't seem to shift these ten pounds or so.   My mood isn't great either and I just feel in a rage more days than not.  I have been reading up a little on progesterone sensitivity and I seem to have a lot of symptoms. Just to ask if anyone can relate to any of this and maybe offer some advice?  Thank you  Julie  :)

joziel

Re: Extreme Bloating and Fluid Retention/Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 01:39:44 PM »

Have you tried transdermal estrogen and body identical utrogestan progesterone? More women tolerate that, as a progesterone, than synthetic progestins as in combined oral products.

Julie04

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »

Hi Joziel thanks for reply.  I haven't tried anything else and can't get to see my GP even for a telephone conversation until 29th September so I am just a bit fed up today :(

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 01:43:05 PM »

Hi Julie. It can take a while to find the right HRT. Joziel's suggestion of transdermal HRT is good.

The progesterone in Elleste is Norethisterone which is well known in some women to cause low mood and PMT type symptoms which could be the reason for the way you are feeling.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

joziel

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »

Julie, I would just ask the receptionist to send a message to your GP and ask if you can be switched to estrogen only patch or oestrogel, plus utrogestan. Because you have already been "approved" for HRT so you shouldn't need a whole extra consultation just to try a different product... just to pick up a new prescription.

Julie04

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »

Thank you all 😊 I will contact GP Monday see if they could leave a message. Just so low today with this feeling and trying to understand it all a bit more. This forum is amazing ! Xx

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 02:39:29 PM »

Also if your practise offers email consultations you could also try that option - at least then it will be put on your medical notes & a doctor will know what you are wanting. x

Clarella

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 07:44:35 AM »

Also, oral oestrogen is likely to nudge a thyroid into hypothyroidism if you’re that way inclined.

Combined oral pill in my 20s is what led to my hypothyroidism diagnosis; I probably already had it mildly but oral oestrogen increases the need for thyroxine. If I were to take oral hrt id have to have thyroid levels monitored and probably adjusted after 3 months.

Just something to be aware of as weight gain in hypothyroidism is mostly water retention. A switch to transdermal may resolve it but also may not if thyroid is starting to deteriorate.

Julie04

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 08:21:48 AM »

Thank you so much for all this info it’s very helpful. Xx