Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Kidney infection symptoms after taking HRT  (Read 1111 times)

CelesteM

Kidney infection symptoms after taking HRT
« on: August 28, 2022, 06:12:00 AM »

Hi, I have recently started taking HRT (post menopause) and during the first week of Estalis conti 50/140 patch I contracted a kidney infection/UTI which my doctor and myself thought was unrelated. She told me to take off the patch and start a cours of antibiotics. After a week it cleared and my GP prescribed Femoston conti 1/5 to start as the patches gave me terrible period pain and headaches. It seemed fine for the first day no side effects like the patch, however my symptoms of kidney infection  has come back, pain in the back, urinating frequently and feeling thirsty. My doctor prescribed me another script for antibiotics and said to stop the Femoston. Today my pharmacist mentioned that HRT does change your kidney function so I thought maybe the hrt has given me these UTI like symptoms. I haven’t had a UTI since my 20s! I’m going to see my doctor again this week, but in the meantime I thought I could ask if any of you ladies if you’ve had this side effect from their HRT. Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 08:21:21 AM by CelesteM »

Joaniepat

Re: UTI symptoms after taking HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »

I've not heard of UTIs being a side effect of any type of HRT, although others may correct me. However, the lower urinary tract is oestrogen dependent, and frequent UTIs are a symptom of peri/menopause. As well as ABs to clear the infection, you would benefit from local oestrogen (eg, Ovestin or Vagifem) to help prevent further occurrences and to keep the genitourinary tract healthy. The tissues in this area become thin and fragile, leaving you more open to infection. Your systemic oestrogen will help, but many need local oestrogen as well.
JP x
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:16:52 AM by Joaniepat »

CelesteM

Re: Kidney infection side effects after taking HRT
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »

Thank you for your reply. This regarding kidney infection, I have no painful urinating like the cystitis I had in my 20s. No discomfort down there at all. Only my kidneys are uncomfortable and I’m urinating a lot and very thirsty, which my doctor said was sign of a kidney infection. The pharmacist said it may be a side effect of the HRT as kidneys regulate/produce hormones?  He said to see my doctor again as it may not be an infection but related to my HRT. I was wondering if anyone had a similar side effect from their HRT. Thanks!   :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Kidney infection symptoms after taking HRT
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 08:35:03 AM »

Your GP and Pharmacist .............  >:(

Morning.  Was a fresh urine sample sent to a Lab for testing?  If there is a bug grown then the appropriate antibiotic should be prescribed as well as pain relief. An infection cannot be confirmed by a dip stick test at a surgery which may show 'normal' blood traces etc.. 

Ask your GP for vaginal atrophy treatment, you don't need blood tests or an exam..  If you meet resistance with that request, ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.  VA treatment is used for 2-3 weeks every night to plump up the vaginal tissues = less itchy.  Then the treatment is used every 3/4th and 6/7th night to keep symptoms under control.

U have nothing to lose by trying VA treatment.  I've not heard of kidneys producing hormones  :-\, the kidneys excrete what the body no longer needs. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 08:37:11 AM »

As we get older there are often no cystitis type symptoms of UTI so we miss it until it's progressed further up the urinary tract. When I had this I wasn't told to stop HRT and I didn't think it was a side effect. I was referred for a kidney scan though as I was over 50. This showed no kidney disease thankfully.

Are you running a fever? It's very important that you get on top of this as quickly as possible especially if you develop rigors (intense shivering) which happened to me and shows the bacteria is very high. Also how long was your first course of antibiotic and has your urine been tested to ensure there is no antibiotic resistance? Rest as much as you can too. I hope you are soon feeling much better

Taz x

CelesteM

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 09:03:58 AM »

Thank you! My first course of antibiotic was for 7 days which I started on day 3 of the Estalis conti patch (which my doctor told me to take off) and by day 5 I was feeling much better, then started back Femoston on day 8. By the next day the UTI symptoms were back. I have just picked up my second course of antibiotics which are stronger penicillin type for 10 days. I’m reluctant to take The Femoston as well as it said on the leaflet inside not to be taken with if you have kidney problems. I feel ok, no fever just the back pain and frequent urinating and thirst. It’s seems strange that the UTI started the day after I started taking both types of HRT, first my Estalis patch and now Femoston. I’m feeling so down about this with not much chance of resting with a full time job and two teens!

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 09:43:03 AM »

I remember the start of my Vaginal Atrophy journey out walking and feeling this awful lower back pain enough for me to get back home. Phoned the doctor and she said if it was my kidney's the pain would be very severe. It wasn't that severe but it was the start of my muscles weakening due to the aging process and the beginning of VA.
A long story cut short but although I still suffer with muscle aches the treatment for my VA is very successful and that was after a few false starts with taking antibiotics that in hindsight were unnecessary. 

Why VA is never the first thought with GP's in the older woman is beyond me!