Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Still bleeding on Provera  (Read 897 times)

florriepeck

Still bleeding on Provera
« on: August 25, 2022, 04:41:27 PM »

My GP prescribed Provera 10 mg daily as my progesterone component of HRT.Utrogestan just wasn’t controlling bleeding. But I’m still bleeding on the Provera. I’m on a continuous regime and aged 58.
I’m on Evorel 150 patch and I’m wondering if reducing to 125 might help stop the bleeding. Is it due to me being on quite a high dose of oestrogen. Do I need to consult GP or just try it myself and see how it goes.

Hurdity

Re: Still bleeding on Provera
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 03:51:47 PM »

Hi florriepeck

Obviously only medical investigation can determine the cause of your ongoing bleeding but that is a very high dose of oestrogen for someone of your age. I know we are all different and we don't necessarily want to follow dogma but the "standard" post-menopausal dose of oestrogen on patches (not for younger women who reach menopause early) is 50 mcg. Yes there are different absorption rates so you may need 150 mcg to attain the same levels as another woman on 50 mcg - some needing more to achieve symptom control (eg me!) - but is there are reason why you are on such a high dose?

Also if you've never had any investigation then it would be wise to consult your GP in case there could be reason for ongoing bleeding (eg fibroids or polyps, or thickened lining/endometrial hyperplasia). This is advised in any case for bleeding on conti regime that does not settle after 6 months.

Hurdity x

florriepeck

Re: Still bleeding on Provera
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:13:41 AM »

Thanks for reply hurdity. I’ve had scan to investigate other causes of bleeding and all fine. It’s definitely HRT related. My GP ( Newson) increased patches as I still had some symptoms also bloods showed low oestrogen levels.
I’ve taken it upon myself in last few days to decrease patch. Initially from 150 to 100 to see if this eases the bleeding.
I’m on testosterone now which I wasn’t when patches were increased due to ongoing symptoms such as joint pains ( which may now be helped by testosterone).
I’m wondering how quickly I can reduce patch dose hurdity.
Maybe try 75 on next change this week?