Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Dry mouth, potentially HRT related  (Read 1373 times)

Sjw75

• First Flush
Dry mouth, potentially HRT related
« on: August 27, 2022, 12:28:44 AM »

I would really love to know if anyone has experienced similar to me.
I am new to HRT, the doctor prescribed me elleste duet. I have taken the first packet and 7 tablets from my second packet.
Just under 3 weeks ago, I woke in the night struggling to swallow. I managed to get back to sleep before it happened again. This led to a full blown panic attack.
I saw the doctor the next day, he simply said its anxiety.
The last few days, I've been having the same difficulty swallowing. Usually after eating but it's becoming more and more frequent. When it happens, my body goes into panic, my swallow reflex just doesn't work properly, I have to force it. This is all causing me more anxiety to the point where I feel I can't breathe now. I'm scared to go to sleep and scared to eat.
I really do think my mouth is excessively dry. I'm trying sucking sweets, chewing gum and drinking water.
I'm pretty sure it's the HRT and I've not taken today's tablet.
In addition, I had my first HRT period and it was horrendous. The pain was akin to contractions. It also lasted over a week.
I don't think I'm going to take any more of it.
Has anybody else had a similar experience with a dry mouth and the swallowing issue I am describing?
Thank you so much for reading!

Flossieteacake

Re: Dry mouth, potentially HRT related
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 07:20:49 AM »

Hello Sjw75. Welcome to the forum. I also have times were my mouth is very dry. It is uncomfortable. I have heard of other women waking with the dry mouth you describe. I can understand why it is making you anxious.

I looked up elleste duet and read it does cause bleeding. This must explain why your bleeding was so bad. If it were me I would ask to try something else. Maybe patches would be more suitable for you.

Harebell

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »

Hi Sjw75

I was prescribed elleste duet in the beginning. Did about three months I think maybe more. Then changed to Femeston. It has a different progesterone.

But then I went back and asked to try patches. I think they  are so much better as it doesn’t go through your digestive system it goes through the skin.

You could go back and want to try patches. I have evorel sequi patches and a monthly bleed  and I am just about to try utrogestan for the progesterone and hope to end up with no bleed by having the sequi oestrogen only patches and utrogestan tablets every day.

Hope you are ok.

Harebell

Peana

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 04:29:10 PM »

I had a horribly dry mouth for the first month I started HRT, along with a really unpleasant taste.  It would also wake me up, so I kept some 'artificial saliva' by the bed.  Xylitol is supposed to help, but unfortunately it upset my stomach - there are lozenges that you can keep in your mouth overnight, but I can't remember the name, sorry - xyli something?  I'm prone to saliva stones, so I now regularly massage my saliva glands to increase saliva flow (found a youtube video) and luckily it has settled down, and although it still flares up every now and then, it's nothing like as distressing as that first month.  Maybe as your hormones settle it will also ease off for you, although I didn't have the problem you describe with swallowing.  That sounds very unpleasant. 

Anxiety is really distressing.  Following recommendations on MM I've recently been using the youtube channel 'therapy in a nutshell' which has some excellent grounding exercises for anxiety. There's also another thread about 'the tapping solution' app - you could maybe try the free trial and see if that helps you at all.

I'm on estradot patches, so can't comment on elleste.  Sorry that you're suffering.