Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Pain relief for menstrual cramps  (Read 892 times)

Milly1974

Pain relief for menstrual cramps
« on: August 21, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »

Hi  just wondering what pain relief you ladies take for menstrual cramps? Ibuprofen used to work for me but don't seem to touch it anymore. The cramps are really strong and keep me awake at night.

Lisa 😏

Flossieteacake

Re: Pain relief for menstrual cramps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 01:18:07 PM »

Hello Lisa. Could you ask your DR for something stronger? My friend has endo and she has stronger pain killers that are prescribed by her DR. I am sorry to hear your cramps are so bad.

laszla

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 01:30:43 PM »

I have the same problem and was recommended ibuprofen with added lysine which is supposed to act more quickly than plain ibu for menstrual cramps but I haven't tested it yet.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 01:52:33 PM »

Feminax I think it's spelt.  Ask your Pharmacist whether it's still available.  The idea being to begin 2/3 days B4 a period is due.  It was the drug which relieved intense cramps for me.   :bighug: A hot water bottle made my pain worse, laying in a warm bath helped. 

joziel

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »

When I had bad endo cramps, I took naproxen as soon as I got my period and for the first 2 days afterwards. Don't wait for the pain to start and then respond, it's already got hold by then - as soon as you see the first sight of blood, take the NSAID and keep taking it regularly for the first 2 days (or whenever you get the pain).

I used to prefer Naproxen to ibuprofen because it seemed to be more effective and one capsule of it lasted 8 hours, so I just needed 2 capsules (Am and PM) each day. However I think it is prescription only in the UK now. In the US you can get it over the counter, should you ever take a trip there.

Other ideas include a TENs machine you can get for period pain which you put on your stomach under your clothes. I haven't tried that.

But really you probably want to get some things on board to stop the pain systemically rather than just reacting to it each month. Get a copy of Lara Briden's 'Hormone Repair Manual' as she has lots of suggestions. For endo, she recommends NAC and berberine and zinc... and magnesium. I'm on everything she recommends and I have a history of endo. I don't have any pains at the mo although I'm on 200mg of utrogestan continuously which helps suppress the endo. You could ask about continuous progesterone too, if you are on HRT...

C.C.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 02:05:50 PM »

When I was having period pains, I took something called Midol, not sure if you have it in the UK.  It has acetaminophen for the pain, caffeine (diuretic for water gain) and pyrilamine maleate, which is an antihistamine to help with bloating.  Also, a  good old hot water bottle on the tummy helps too. :)

Milly1974

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 08:05:10 PM »

Thank you all for your replies  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 08:40:11 AM »

How do you feel this. morning?

GrumpyMe

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 03:11:59 AM »

Hi Lisa, my old gp prescribed me buscopan years ago for period pain. I didn't hold out much hope as nothing else I tried ever worked but oh my god, magic in a pill, total game changer. Apparently when feminax first came out (when they actually worked for me) the ingredients were paracetamol,  codeine and hyoscine. Then after a while they were changed to just ibuprofen not sure why. Hyoscine is the ingredient that is in buscopan. Honestly you'll never go back after trying it. Good luck.