Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Low dose HRT  (Read 1183 times)

pamb21

• First Flush
Low dose HRT
« on: October 08, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »

Hi ladies

I'm postmenopausal and currently on Evorel 25 patches and Provera 2.5 mg which I started July this year.  I've been doing really well on this regime.  My hot flushes have completely disappeared and I feel less tired during the day,

I was on Evorel Sequi 50 initially back in 2017, but at the end of 2018 I developed a strange rash and some other strange symptoms.  I thought it could be from the HRT so went to my GP who advised me to stop taking it.  The rash got worse so I was referred to a dermatologist at the hospital who diagnosed Dermatomyositis, an autoimmune condition.  I had to have a full cancer screening as this condition can appear when there is an undiagnosed malignancy somewhere.  Thankfully I got the all clear.  I was advised to start very high doses of steroids and other drugs to counteract the side effects of the steroids, but as my skin was the only thing affected at the moment, opted to just use steroid creams initially.  I then changed my diet completely to a vegan diet and to the amazement of my consultant, managed to put my autoimmune condition into remission.

I had been told that they didn't think the HRT was what caused it so as my hot flushes came back with a vengeance, I decided that now my condition was stable that I would again try HRT, but as I'm now postmenopausal I am taking the oestrogen and progesterone together but at a smaller dose.

Everything was fine until last week when I started feeling my skin ****le like it did when the rash appeared, so I'm thinking that the HRT has been a trigger.

I'm pretty loathed to stop the HRT so I was wondering if cutting the patches in half and  cutting the Provera in half also would still give me at least a very small amount of HRT, or do you think it would be so small it would be a waste of time.

I realise I may have to come off it altogether as I don't want my condition to kick off again, but I just wanted another opinion.

Thank you

Pam x

discogirl

Re: Low dose HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »

Hi pamb21,

I'm so sorry you've had such an awful time but I'm so glad you got the all clear.

I'm pretty new to hrt and everything, but someone will come along and help or correct me if i'm wrong but I think Provera can cause skin issues xxx

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 12:27:34 PM »

Hi pamb21

Welcome to the forum :)

Discogirl is quite right that Provera can cause rashes, hives etc

I would suggest that you change your progesterone to Utrogestan, which can either be taken orally or vaginally.

M x

pamb21

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 02:22:34 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies.

The rash that I'm getting is a Dermatomyositis rash which isn't a typical rash you'd get from the HRT.  It's more that the HRT is driving the Dermatomyositis rash

What I was querying was whether cutting such a low dose of HRT would give me any benefits, ie help with hot flushes etc., without my autoimmune condition flaring up, or would it be such a low dose that it wouldn't give me any relief at all.

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 03:37:05 PM »

I’m post menopause (65) and I take very low doses and have no hot flushes and relief of most symptoms.

Not all but I am also hypothyroid, so it’s a bit of a juggling act.

So in answer to your question, yes even low doses can help.

Mx

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 08:06:47 PM »

hi marchlove

what dose of hrt do you take xxxx

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »

Hi discogirl

I’m on compounded E & P so a bit below the radar as far as the BMS is concerned!

In many respects though, it matters not, because either way I’d stay low and slow.

xx