Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help sweats are becoming unbearable  (Read 2888 times)

Gill67

Re: Help sweats are becoming unbearable
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 08:39:32 AM »

Hi Kenny, you probably know progesterone increases body temperature, but the right amount of oestrogen should help to counter that effect.  Many of us find we get quite strong side effects of one sort or another from Utrogestan

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your helpful replies to both Kenny and me. Wrensong, I didn't know that  progesterone increases body temperature- that might help explain why yesterday morning I felt that the sweating was actually a bit worse! I also felt a bit sort of 'hung over'... tired, bit groggy, headache. Not very pleasant, I hope that if the Utrogestan is causing that, it dies away soon. I never had any problems with the progestin that was in my Kliofem tablets, but that's an artificial version so maybe that's why.

Kenny and Gill67, I hope you don't mind if I reply to you both on here, your threads very similar!

I have never had hot flushes or night sweats either but I was plagued with day time sweating.   Looking back, it started mid to late 30s and suddenly became much worst immediately post menopause.   

I tried various forms of HRT but the only thing that worked was Oestrogel...

Anyone who has had this debilitating symptom will tell you that excessive menopausal sweating is a world away from normal sweating in hot weather.   It's a vasomotor symptom that can only be resolved by using a highish dose of oestrogen.

I hope that helps.

Mary, thanks so much for this, your sweating issue is exactly the same as mine. It's so life-limiting. I avoid as many social occasions as I can, because people notice my sweaty face, wet hair etc. My glasses steam up, my clothes get damp and anything dark shows up huge damp patches across my chest and back. I look like ive just been running a 5k or something. If I have to go out I have to factor in about an extra half hour of 'getting ready' time, because even having a shower causes more sweating and I have to lie quietly on the bed with a fan on me to stop it so I can just get dressed!
It's so physically uncomfortable too, to be damp and sticky all the time, so now I just avoid doing as much as I can because I just want to be comfortable. But I can't just sit on the sofa for the rest of my life.

I'm 54 and I'm probably classed as post-menopausal, because I went onto sequential HRT (Trisequens) about 3 years ago because of the sweating, then after a year GP moved me to Kliofem continuous HRT, so I stopped having a bleed every month. KLiofem contains 2mg oestrogen and 1mg progestogen and I was fine on that until a few mnths ago when the sweating started to return. As you say, it's not related to the warm weather, I sweat heavily and constantly whatever the weather is like. Movement seems to cause it. I don't even feel hot most of the time, it's not like a hot flush. I just break out in sweat all over my face and torso and it'll continue until i sit down for a while.
I'm really hoping 4 pumps of oestrogel will be enough, as according to manufacturers leaflet, 4 pumps is equal to 5gm Estrogen, which is one more gram than I was getting on Kliofem. That one extra gram might be enough to stop the sweating. It's very encouraging that you say that a high dose of oestrogen can resolve it. I know the Kliofem stopped it, so I'm assuming that my own oestrogen levels have fallen to the point that I need more than 2mg estrogen to stop the sweating. At least the gel is easily altered to find the right dose.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:06:41 PM by Gill67 »

Kenny

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2022, 09:08:22 AM »

Morning, just want to say how reassuring it is to hear from you lovely ladies and your experiences. 😘Today I have used 11/2 pumps same as yesterday, also didn’t take the progestron as I’m going to try every other night , so I’ll take tonight . 2 slight tweaks, I’ll keep you updated,, still no GP call but I’ve made the decision to tweak my own and will tell GP that. Have a good day ladies..x

Wrensong

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »

Hi Kenny, thanks for the update.  Everything crossed for you.

Hi Gill67, sorry you are also suffering with this horrible consequence of menopause.  Yes, the only form of progesterone said not to raise body temp is Dydrogesterone (in the Femoston range).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dydrogesterone

"unlike all other clinically used progestogens, dydrogesterone does not have a hyperthermic effect in humans (i.e., it does not increase body temperature)."

Hopefully, as you say, you will find you feel better on Utrogestan as time goes by.
Wx

Gill67

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »

Hi Wrensong, thanks for the info and the link on Dydrogesterone, that's interesting and helpful.  I'm only 6 days into this new regime of gel and utrogestan so I've got to give it a while yet to see how it goes before I can fiddle about with it too much. Though last night I decided to try the Utrogestan vaginally, as I am pretty sure that the weird groggy hungover feeling yesterday morning was related to it. Anyway, got up this morning and did not feel as hung over, or quite as sweaty as the day before, so I think I'll continue with it vaginally for now.
I'd also just like to echo Kenny's commentts about how helpful it is to read other peoples' experience with excessive sweating. It has been getting me down recently, which isn't really like me, but I'm just so sick of it all day every day. Not knowing anyone else who suffers with it can make you feel a bit isolated sometimes, even though I know other woman are suffering in different ways. It has made me feel more positive to know I'm not completely alone in this, so thank you to everyone who has contributed :-)

Wrensong

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »

Hi Gill67, it makes absolute sense to continue with your new regimen when you have only just started, to give your body time to adjust & I'm sure you know the general advice is to stick with it for 3 months unless we have reason to believe any particular HRT combo is really not suitable.  I just posted the Dydrogesterone link for anyone reading who's interested now or who may pull up this thread in the future.

Many members report the hungover grogginess from Utrogestan so you're right to suspect it's related, but it's great that vaginal application may be helping reduce those effects for you.

I absolutely agree the forum is a great place for support, sharing of experience & info, for all that menopause throws at us and it's invaluable in helping to reduce the sense of isolation & worry.  It was a stroke of genius to set it up I think!

It's also lovely for us all when members say thank you - makes posting feel worthwhile.  So thank you to you & Kenny for expressing your appreciation to everyone who's posted.
Wx

Mary G

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 04:09:29 PM »

Gill67, you are right, it's a horrible, lonely experience and I was baffled at first because the mega sweating is nothing like typical hot flushes or night sweats.

I had a very sudden menopause in 2006 aged 45.  The excessive sweating started in the 90s but in 2006 my periods stopped very suddenly never to return and the sweating went into overdrive.   I remember I was in a phone shop in the UK and I suddenly broke into the most horrendous sweat.   The sheer speed of it was quite incredible.   Even sitting mess light bulbs made me sweat!

By 2007 I thought I should see a doctor so I had a load of blood tests and found out I was post menopause.  I had a Mirena coil at the time and wondered if that might have stopped my periods but the doctor rightly pointed out that it didn't stop them in 1998 so it would not be stopping them now.   Also my oestrogen level was 30 pg/mL which is my oestrogen base level now (15 years later) without HRT - I decided to do a baseline test.  Basically I need levels to be around 80-100 pg/mL (about 300 pmol) to feel good and keep the sweats away and I can achieve this level on one pump of Oestrogel.   

So it all depends of how well you absorb the different products but I found Oestrogel to be the best form of oestrogen by far and three pumps got rid of my sweats very quickly so four pumps should work relatively quickly and may even be too much but no harm in trying.

Please do keep us posted on your progress!

Kenny

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2022, 04:35:54 PM »

Oh well, eventually got a text today to say I will have a telephone call with my GP but not for another week.!! Thankfully I’ve had another quite good day, I’m carrying on with Progestron vaginally every other night and 11/2 pumps of gel, I’ve still had the odd sweaty face but not went into full blown sweat 👏.thank the lord I didn’t need GP,,😀,, between ourselves lovely ladies I’m feeling more positive.

Gill67

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 12:27:06 PM »

Hi Kenny, good to hear that you're feeling more positive and that the sweating 'might' be easing a little. 

Just a quick update from me, I'm on day 10 now of 4 pumps of estrogel and 100mcg tablet Utrogestan. No improvement in the sweating as yet, but still early days I suppose. I really didn't like the groggy, headachey feeling I've been getting that started a few days into the new treatment- I wasn't looking forward to putting up with that for weeks just hoping it would die away. So like you, I switched to taken the Progesterone vaginally. Didn't notice much change but only remembered yesterday that I could take it every other night! So I didn't take it last night and woke up without a headache or grogginess for the first time in about a week. Yay! I hope that continues.
Re the sweating, I feel at the moment that it's actually a little worse, which isn't good. Again, I'm hoping that is just a temporary side effect of being on new types of hormones and different method of delivery. I was on the older-type combined synthetic pill before I changed.
I notice that the instruction leaflet in with the Oestrogel says that if no improvement in symptoms is seen after one month, the dose can be increased. So I will give myself an extra pump per day then & see what happens.

Kenny

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 09:18:18 PM »

Hi Gill67, I’m eventually having a telephone call with my GP in the morning, I’ll update you all. My sweats have not disappeared but have settled down quite a bit 👏, I’m going to continue with the progestron vaginally every other night, apparently in one if the posts they say it’s not needed every night as it’s going straight where it’s needed.Catch up tomorrow.x

Kenny

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 08:00:28 PM »

Update ladies, seen lovely lady GP today, apparently I should have been told I could increase to 2 pumps ,,I will try that in the morning, today I’ve had a few facial sweats but think I was a bit stressed, I mentioned the tingly feeling and lump on the side of my breast which is quite recent, she sent me for a chest X-ray as she couldn’t find any lump but there was a tender spot., she feels it was more my breast/ chest bone ,, hence chest X-ray, she has asked me to keep a close eye on it and see her in 4 weeks with update on HRT , if there is still discomfort in my breast in 4 weeks and I have increased the gel she will refer me for investigation. I’m not unduly concerned as I’m convinced it is my hormones.. Let’s see how 2 pumps works 🙏
Pages: 1 [2]