Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Fluoxetine?  (Read 3465 times)

Unicorn

Has anyone tried Fluoxetine?
« on: August 23, 2022, 05:15:43 PM »

Hi all, sorry to post again, but wondering if anyone has tried Fluoxetine for racing heart, flushes and anxiety?

My last question, then I'll leave you all have a break, sorry! Xxxxx

Just to say a huge thank you to all of you for the advice, this forum and its ladies are fantastic xxx
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 05:17:16 PM by Unicorn »

Gilla999

Re: Has anyone tried Fluoxetine?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 06:13:30 AM »

I've been on most of the antidepressants there are out there at various time in my life, including Fluoxitine many moons ago when it used to be the first line treatment. Compared to other SSRIs it is slightly more stimulating and can (and did for me) cause a bit of insomnia for the first few weeks. On the plus side I didn't gain any weight with it - in fact I lost it.

Is there any particular reason why you're asking about that AD than any other? If you're looking for an AD in general than I believe first line treatment is still Citalopram. I found Escitalporam or Sertraline to be the best SSRIs out there (in terms of benefit vs side effects) but it's a very personal thing... a bit like HRT, everyone will have a better response to different meds.

Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 07:16:19 AM »

Hi Gilla999, thanks for replying 🥰

My GP decided to try them as I was on them years ago xx

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »

If you've taken them and know you tolerate them that makes sense. I do recall there being some evidence / studies that show SSRIs can be used for night sweats etc associated with Peri menopause. It didn't work for me but there is evidence behind it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! X

Unicorn

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 10:46:50 AM »

Thank you ❤ im so lost and in tears atm.... on hrt and I thought it was working but anxiety and pounding heart horrific today.  I'm at a loss on what else to do xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »

Thank you ❤ im so lost and in tears atm.... on hrt and I thought it was working but anxiety and pounding heart horrific today.  I'm at a loss on what else to do xx

Unicorn, I know how overwhelming this is. You are not alone here. Anxiety is so debilitating. I know you are desperate to fix this but right now I think you may need to just tell yourself this, I am anxious but this will pass. Can you take some deep breaths? It can help to lie down. Put your hand on your chest and take some deep and slow breaths. This will pass.

Unicorn

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 11:00:50 AM »

Thanks Flossie ❤ does this ever get better???? Xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »

Yes it will. I think it helps to take it one day at a time. Thinking of the future will only add to your anxiety. Do you think you may find some therapy helpful?

Unicorn

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »

Hi Flossie, thank you for the idea, but I think the anxiety is more 'physical' if that makes sense? Its the pounding heart, heart fluctuations that make me feel ill.  I have stress in my life, but I feel it's not connected? Does that make sense? Xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »

Hi Flossie, thank you for the idea, but I think the anxiety is more 'physical' if that makes sense? Its the pounding heart, heart fluctuations that make me feel ill.  I have stress in my life, but I feel it's not connected? Does that make sense? Xx

That does make sense. I was thinking of something like CBT which helps deal with anxiety by teaching coping methods. I understand you may not wish to discuss personal things but I wondered if a practical technique may be helpful.

Unicorn

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 11:31:08 AM »

It's a weird one, because I have had anxiety in the past but this kind of feels 'different' (strange but true).  This feels like a more physical with the pounding heart, especially in the morning and hot face 🥵.   It comes on me when I'm calm (?!) I don't understand it xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 11:39:23 AM »

It's a weird one, because I have had anxiety in the past but this kind of feels 'different' (strange but true).  This feels like a more physical with the pounding heart, especially in the morning and hot face 🥵.   It comes on me when I'm calm (?!) I don't understand it xxxx

For me I find sometimes I develop anxiety or depression and I do not know why. I think it is connected to something happening but then being blocked out. Perhaps then it is too much for our bodies and it shows physically. I am not sure if that makes sense?

Molly

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »

Unicorn by any chance does it happen after you drink tea or coffee? for me it was a big trigger just keep an eye and see. x

Unicorn

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 12:57:53 PM »

I'm not sure Flossie, I'm sooo confused...I don't think so 😍.

Thank you Molly, I'll try and cut coffee out or go to decaff for a while.... I think it makes it worse xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 12:59:32 PM »

I hope your GP is being supportive and helping you get to the bottom of this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4