Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New Member in Perimenopause  (Read 977 times)

Emma G

• First Flush
New Member in Perimenopause
« on: August 23, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »

Hi,

My GP actually sent me here to look at all the resources this website has, as I am suffering with many symptoms of perimenopause/menopause and am currently not on any medication at all. I am 47 years old.

I feel like I am going mad! Forgetting my words, brain fog, intense anxiety, vivid dreaming, itchy, I've lost all my confidence and self esteem.

My doctor said I should probably start HRT but I have some history of cancer in my family (Grandma - Breast and Mum - Ovarian) plus I haven't had any children myself, which apparently can increase my chances of gynae cancers anyway.

I really don't know where to start. Alternative therapies seem like a waste of time and money. I am a vegetarian so I get a lot of Soya in my diet anyway. I have a history of depression and anxiety since my teenage years (non-medicated) which I self manage using therapy, mindfullness techniques and journalling.

I just feel a little bit overwhelmed by it all and can't seem to think straight enough to make any informed decisions.

I don't want to take HRT if it doesn't help the anxiety, as that is the thing which I can't seem to cope with currently and SSRI's don't supposedly work for hormonal anxiety, only normal anxiety (that's what my GP said). The rest of the symptoms I can sort of live with to a point at the moment.

Any experience and POV about this would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks Emma

Flossieteacake

Re: New Member in Perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 01:59:23 PM »

Hello Emma. Welcome to the forum. One of the reasons I tried HRT was the intense itching. It was unbearable for me. Luckily that has stopped now that I have HRT.

I understand your concerns regarding cancer in your family and also not having had any children. I have not had children either.

I have seen members reporting HRT helped with some of their anxiety. If you look around you will find many threads on anxiety.

Whatever you decide to do, you will find support on here. :)

Emma G

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 03:20:44 PM »

Thanks!  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 05:19:15 PM »

Hi!  Some ADs do help reduce hot flushes.  Apparently.  Some help with anxiety. 

How R your periods behaving?  I wouldn't take much notice of women who haven't had kids being at more risk.  No one has asked me!!!

Your family history of cancer can be probably discounted - Quality of Life is important.  Depending on what cancer your Grandma and Mum suffered with will depend on how keen a GP is to prescribe any form of HRT - of which there are many!  Does your GP have access to those records?

MayB if your GP isn't confident about prescribing then ask for a referral to a dedicate menopause clinic. 

Do read the threads about 'bladder issues' and any related to vaginal atrophy.  The latter may well require a form of HRT which is delivered into the vagina to ease any dryness.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there.  VA can mimic repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well!  4 warned is 4 armed ;-)

Let us know how you get on.

Cazikins

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »

I wouldn't take much notice of women who haven't had kids being at more risk.  No one has asked me!!!

Oh I didn't realise you had ever asked about trying HRT CLKD  :o :o I must have missed that. I've always told gynaes & doctors that I've never had a pregnancy  when asking for HRT or having a problem..

Welcome Emma G, It has to be your choice & your decision weather you take HRT or not & be comfortable with it. Read up as much as you can & I'm so glad to read that your GP sign posted you here. xx

Grumpymoo

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »

Honestly would advise anyone to try hrt I was so miserable and really scared to start on it but on the first day I felt heaps better all my head fog had gone I could think clearly I wasn’t anxious at all and super calm I’m on the right progesterone and oestrogen gel I think the bad effects are nothing compared to the good we get out of it  :)