Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: No hot flushes but overheating and sweating from time to time  (Read 1357 times)

KarineT

No hot flushes but overheating and sweating from time to time
« on: August 22, 2022, 04:24:05 PM »

Hello,

I will be 3 years postmeno in January 2023 and, lately, I've been experiencing hot sensations that start from the shoulders and into the face. With these I end up sweating and, although they don't happen 24/7,  it can happen during the day but it's mostly at night. I'm hoping that they will resolve eventually.

Any of you in a similar situation? Would you call these hot flushes or sweating episodes?

Thanks

Karine

Taz2

Re: No hot flushes but overheating and sweating from time to time
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 04:28:54 PM »

Hi Karine. These are hot flushes. Strange feeling to start with but you do get used to them. This is how my early ones were too.

Taz x

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 04:55:23 PM »

Hi Taz,

Thanks for your reply.

What happened after that?  How did they change?  What stage of the menopause were at when they started?

Karine

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 05:30:15 PM »

Mine started when I was 51 and still getting periods. Over the next two years they gradually increased until they were full sweats both day and night. They become regular and happened every 20 minutes day and night which is when I began HRT. The flushes/sweats lasted around 4 minutes from start to finish and disrupted my work in school and I found it hard to concentrate. I used to take a change of clothes in as it's not nice sitting in damp underwear  ;D

Of course this is just my experience and many women's flushes don't progress in severity.

Taz x

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 06:36:40 PM »

I hope that it won't get worse for me but sometimes I fear that it will. The menopause is much worse when you"re still working.  I was hoping that I wouldn't start meno until I was in my late 50s but it wasn't to be.  I guess, one can't choose when it will kick in.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »

Mine are a bit odd too. They never start on their own, always after some heat - hot drink, sitting by the fire etc. I got overheated but no where near what some people experience. I didn't recognise them as flushes but they went when I started hrt. I think it might better be described as the thermo regulatory system malfunctioning.

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 08:36:24 PM »

Yes. And it's particularly difficult at night, especially lately with this hot weather.  I found that I would wake up with a sweaty face in the middle of the night. I had to have the fan on, otherwise it would be unbearably hot.  Let's see what happens in winter.  I will be able to determine whether these are really hot flushes/night sweats or if my discomfort is due to the hot wheather.

Tora

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 06:34:05 AM »

Totally agree it’s tough working with flushes, many have to. Mine started last summer, weren’t related to hot drinks and I thought they were weather related too. The night ones interfered with sleep resulting in anxiety. Can you take a fan and ice packs into work?
I know you don’t want to go down the HRT route (who does?😂) but if working is vital it’s worth considering as even a small dose can stop flushing.
Hope things ease up soon.

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 03:24:47 PM »

It's bothersome but the anxiety & low mood are more problematic.  I've always been of an anxious nature.  This also happened during my reproductive years so I'm not sure HRT will help with that. I had a difficult childhood as I was brought up in a non-supportive environment, which, I believe, has contributed to the way I feel generally.  I've started CBT but I am not sure if that can help me feel less vulnerable.