Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What to do regarding hrt levels?  (Read 883 times)

Clarella

What to do regarding hrt levels?
« on: August 23, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »

I have so many questions but will stick to main one!

I really started to go down hill after Easter. I had covid on Jan which affectEd me badly, mini long covid and I’m not sure when that resolved and worsening meno started.  had started hrt the previous in nov, 37.5 and felt a lot better though not 100% till covid came along.

Blood test in May showed about 134 oestrogen on a 50 patch. Went to 75 which was tough actually.

Had another covid infection in June. Not as bad but did feel tired for 5-6 weeks. Ive just had another blood test as was still havingperi symptoms and it’s 258.

I added an extra 12.5 myself last week and do feel a bit better but still some tiredness.

I also asked Gp about trying continuous regime as cycle is lengthening and I feel I need less of the ups and downs. (I take vaginally but may try orally.)

I’m not sure if I was supposed to make another appt or not about the oestrogen level - she’d originally said she would like it at 400-600.

I am v low and prone to anxiety at the moment. Aching feels like it’s lasted the last 2 - 3 years. I worry about my bones. I’m trying to exercise but it can wipe me out. Feeling quite lost and unsure next steps.

Probably to raise to 100?? Or try very slowly?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What to do regarding hrt levels?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:50:14 PM »

:bighug:

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains, which can cause hiatus hernia/reflux.  For which there is treatment.

A week is probably not long enough to feel real benefit, the body doesn't get where it is suddenly.  What do you intend, to keep with the extra 12.5 or up it again?  You may find that if you add too much too soon, you will feel worse rather than feel benefit.

Thyroid function and low VitD can cause tiredness too - have you had a full blood count recently.

Anxiety surges can be due to hormonal upheaval, do they feel cyclic?.  Some require HRT as well as anti-anxiety medications to get symptoms under control.  A few anti-depressant drugs can help with anxiety.  If that's the way to go to over come the anxiety, it might be worth trying.  6-8 months then decide?

MayB have a list of concerns for when you next speak to y our GP?  Let us know how you get on.

Clarella

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 07:56:14 AM »

Thank you so much for your reply.

I was confused and anxious about levels when posting and then Came down with a bug which probably made it worse!

My question was should I raise it myself while waiting for Gp - forgot to arrange a follow up. I’ve since contacted them and will be getting a reply. I’ve decided to raise; I’m only 45 and that level is clearly not enough.

Thyroid is perfect and I’m on thyroxine. If anything I’ve been on too much recently and dropped which is another reason I worry about my bone density.

Someone else pointed out vit d - I’ve been taking the better you 3000 spray on and off for the last two years, a test just before that in showed 73 but my friend said you can still be deficient. I’ve actually got a medichecks test to do to check myself.

Second question- was I hasty in moving to continuous? I sort of wanted some consistency but now feel the last few horrid v late periods on cyclical may have been post covid. my last cycle started with utrogestan. And then period came exactly 7 days after stopping as it did when I first started (so 3 week cycle). 

I think a lot of the anxiety is environmental. Right now I’m recovering from a stomach bug and feel rubbish!

Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve been dealing with who I now know to be peri symptoms for many years. A baby at 41 did seem to resolve many but then they came back with vengeance and worse when he was 1.

joziel

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 10:56:49 PM »

You could for sure try increasing your estrogen but my advice is to go slow. Don't go right from 75 to 100, split the difference. If you can get your current 75 patches and ask the GP for some 25s as well, you can begin with half a 25 for 12wks (with the 75, to make 87.5) - and then go to 100 if still needed. Maybe you will be fine at 87.5....

Clarella

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 06:29:46 AM »

Thank you, I did consider that and am currently adding half of a 25 I had left over. Only another half left - hoping I can get a phone call to day to get more 25s.

Clarella

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »

She’s agreed though I had to push - because I’d struggled a bit going up from 50 to 75 she wasn’t going to put me up but I argued that I still feel shite! And she felt it was a good way to do it. :)

Realistically I should be aiming for higher and better symptom control at aged 45??

joziel

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 07:41:11 PM »

If you were only 134 on a 50 patch, you definitely need more and 75 probably isn't going to be enough either...

Clarella

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »

That’s what I thought.

Gp originally said aim for 400-600 oestrogen.

I think she eased her opinion as I’d had achey legs and difficulties going from 50 to 75. But is happy to proceed at a slower rate going to 62.5 .

Will have to see how it goes!