Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gina  (Read 2133 times)

Minusminnie

Gina
« on: August 23, 2022, 05:28:09 AM »

Just musing .I wonder what price the new OTC Gina vaginal tablet will come in at ?  there will also be a new leaflet in the box.

https://www.fsrh.org/news/fsrh-statement-gina-hrt-pharmacy-menopause/

Although Vagifem will still be prescribed i guess over time it will be phased out in favour of all OTC Gina and a GP then won't prescribe it.  Those aged over 60 in England who get free prescriptions would then have to pay.

Guess there is always Vagifrux made by a different company.  Unless that moves to OTC.

Taz2

Re: Gina
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 06:31:05 AM »

It's a shame it's only for post menopausal women. My soreness problems started while still in peri. I wonder if there'll be an age specified for those already on HRT who don't know if they are post meno or not?

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 07:31:21 AM »

It's a shame it's only for post menopausal women. My soreness problems started while still in peri. I wonder if there'll be an age specified for those already on HRT who don't know if they are post meno or not?

All not so straightforward then.  Maybe some accountant will push for further approvals after seeing initial sales.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:49:06 PM »

I’ve been checking out Gina on a regular basis each week which will be available in September. They haven’t decided on the cost yet and the spanner in the works is its for women over 50 who have not had a period for a year.

I wonder what the medical reasons are for the restrictions on availability given the low dosage of the pessary. 

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »

I fall in that category as I haven't had a period for nearly 3 years now and I sometimes feel some burning sensation/irritation down there so I could benefit. i wonder what the side-effects are though.

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 09:43:11 PM »

The discomfort only happens when I wipe with toilet tissue.

As for the fact that Gina is only available to postmeno women over 50 is questionable.  There might be something in the formulation that is not suitable for women who are still having periods but I don't get the over 50 thing.  I was still 49 when I reached the menopause.  Do they think that there's less hormonal activity after 50?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:45:05 PM by KarineT »

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 11:22:19 PM »

I fall in that category as I haven't had a period for nearly 3 years now and I sometimes feel some burning sensation/irritation down there so I could benefit. i wonder what the side-effects are though.

Has your GP refused to prescribe vagifem for you?

Taz x

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 07:22:55 AM »

Hi Taz,

I've never been on any HRT and I've never asked for it so this is not a problem for me.  Should I experierience soreness I can now pop in to the chemist and buy something for it. But I can wait as it's not causing too much of an isssue at moment.  It may not get worse but if it did I have the easy option.

If it's similar to Vagiferm, why isn't Vagiferm also available over the counter?  Why is Gina only for the over 50s who are 1 year postmeno and over?  That's strange. 

Karine

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 08:18:30 AM »

Hi KarineT

Gina is exactly the same as Vagifem. It costs £29.99 for 24 pessaries but at the time of writing it’s still available on prescription, although a lot of us are thinking for how long!  It's just that it makes it more convenient to go to the pharmacy if you didn't want to bother asking a doctor for it.

It's a very safe HRT method to take the reason it's available over the counter.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 08:34:20 AM »

Hi Karine.

I think it's been mentioned before that even if you have only the slightest hint that VA is beginning (my first indication was the feeling you describe) then it really needs to be treated as soon as possible. To wait until it has become established means it can take many months before you feel comfortable again. As you said that Gina might benefit you I thought you had been refused treatment by your GP but now I understand that you haven't discussed it yet.

I'm not sure why the guidelines are for post meno but maybe it's because when you are having periods it is felt that VA is less likely to be the cause of soreness and it could mask other reasons. Maybe someone else can answer that part.

Taz  :)