Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Ouch, what's the worst period pain you've had (but still normal)  (Read 1110 times)

KaraShannon

Hi everyone

It's probably because I went without progesterone for 3 months (that's covered elsewhere and I know it's not good, I won't go through the context here)

But today I have a temperature (not fever just high for me, as a hypothyroid you tend to know) and ongoing strong period pains.  My period was over the course of last week, but last night I got the sense that I was at the start it again as I had all the pms symptoms. 

So today period pain that's not terrible, but ongoing all day and I feel pretty unwell with it, haven't eaten.  Have a long drive tomorrow, why do these things always happen at the wrong times, I'm not feeling up to it but I have to do it.

As someone who only got period pain as a teen, I don't know how bad it can be so wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences.  After all if I'm not ill I aim to keep going tomorrow.  I'm imagining I have a lot of irritation and 'lining' to lose because of going without progesterone  :-\ and the last 2 weeks on progesterone I've felt really energetic. Thanks  :)

joziel

Re: Ouch, what's the worst period pain you've had (but still normal)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 02:43:15 AM »

Hey have you done a Covid test? Just with the fever and not feeling great….and it can mess with periods too….?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 08:39:43 AM »

My period pains were excruciating  >:(, 'feminax' helped.  Bent over, nauseous, walking up and down - nowt helped  :'(

As suggested, do a Covid test especially if you are a) driving a long distance and b) mixing with others.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 10:40:19 AM »

My worst pain EVER was when I had a post meno bleed.
I’d messed up my hrt experimenting, and made a bleed.
The cramps were the worst I’d ever experienced in my life. Bent over sometimes with them. Scared to move.
In the shower, I saw clumps of blood, dark red colour, so rang doc, had to go for a scan.
All was ok, thank goodness, but it all lasted for about three weeks if I remember correctly.
No fever or anything, …..but if you’ve been without your progesterone, I’d say it’s that. I had too much oestrogen not enough prog, hence the bleed. It’s bloody painful.
Take some painkillers. Hopefully  it won’t last too long for you.
And be CAREFUL driving home tomorrow, slowly does it.

Jd xx

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 09:58:27 PM »

Not a period pain, abnormal blood loss from womb after menopause, lost a huge clot, paracetamol did not touch it.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 10:28:58 PM »

Hey have you done a Covid test? Just with the fever and not feeling great….and it can mess with periods too….?

Yes I did Joziel, it was negative.  I did wonder.

While this is tmi, at the stroke of midnight last night the pain suddenly stopped (and it was awful, all day and I have a high threshold) and the bleeding began.  Horrendous today on my trip, thankfully working with someone I know well enough or I wouldn't have gone. 

I think you were the one who said this might happen, and with the messing up of my hrt I imagine this is a good thing, a safety valve hopefully. 

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 10:30:17 PM »

Thanks CLKD, yep done, it was negative.  I did wonder but the temperature and nausea went away once the pain stopped.

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 10:37:08 PM »

My worst pain EVER was when I had a post meno bleed.
I’d messed up my hrt experimenting, and made a bleed.
The cramps were the worst I’d ever experienced in my life. Bent over sometimes with them. Scared to move.
In the shower, I saw clumps of blood, dark red colour, so rang doc, had to go for a scan.
All was ok, thank goodness, but it all lasted for about three weeks if I remember correctly.
No fever or anything, …..but if you’ve been without your progesterone, I’d say it’s that. I had too much oestrogen not enough prog, hence the bleed. It’s bloody painful.
Take some painkillers. Hopefully  it won’t last too long for you.
And be CAREFUL driving home tomorrow, slowly does it.

Jd xx

Thanks jillydoll

Yes I was worried last night, but today it's normal bleeding just a lot of it.  I will tell the doctor and am hoping it's a reset after me messing things up.  The pain went last night around midnight after going on all day without a break.  It went suddenly and hasn't returned.  It helps to hear that someone else got this after a change in hrt routine thanks.

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 10:40:24 PM »

Not a period pain, abnormal blood loss from womb after menopause, lost a huge clot, paracetamol did not touch it.

That happened to me last night, the pain suddenly stopped after going all day, then a bit later I noticed a large clump of blood, the likes of which I've never had in my life  :o ;D..........it's not funny really, but thankfully nothing else like that and today it's just a lot of bleeding.  Lesson learned.

VanillaLover

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 08:31:03 AM »

I sometimes get these appalling cramps where my whole body seems involved. I often feel faint when these happen and have to lie down. They last a few hours and are like labour pains….dreadful. Last an hour of two then back to normal pains. Luckily doesn’t seem to happen every month. I try to keep on top of things with ibuprofen from when bleeding starts and paracetamol on top when it’s bad.

I’ve always had bad period pains but these really bad spells  seemed to start a couple of years ago.

Ibuprofen is best as other posters have said as it blocks prostaglandin.

VanillaLover

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 08:32:00 AM »

Should add that’s cramps aren’t particularly related to blood flow for me. Don’t get the big clots (yet!)

joziel

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 09:31:09 AM »

These cramps like people describe are characteristic of endo. 10% of women have endo, but since it is notoriously difficult to diagnose (especially when mild and you don't have a diagnostic laparoscopy) it is likely to be far higher.

I had endo and in the first 2 days of my period, I would get cramps which began normally but quickly progressed to being excruciatingly painful. I would be writhing around on the bed, unable to find a position that was comfortable, sweating a lot, I threw up, had diahorrea - and then twice passed out. (I think from the pain.) My husband wanted to call for an ambulance but I made him call 111 for advice instead, and after taking paracetemol plus ibuprofen I was really fine again within an hour. (Although very tired after all that.)

I "fixed" this by taking naproxen as soon as I saw blood, for the first 2 days of my period and it was interesting to me that Lara Briden advises people with endo to use NSAIDs like that, because it reduces the amount of flow and also reduces the prostaglandins (which cause the pain).

Which is all to say, please consider that you might have endo if you are getting these severe period pains - more than just for one cycle after a lot of build up. Taking HRT and using estrogen needs some thought and care, if you do have endo, so you don't feed the endo.... There are also some natural supplements which can really help with endo.

Check out Lara Briden's book "Hormone Repair Manual" for what she recommends for endo and heavy periods.