Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Finding suitable hrt  (Read 1334 times)

Karen max

Finding suitable hrt
« on: August 15, 2022, 11:45:16 PM »

Hi all
I haven't been on group in long while, can't seem to find old post..
I'm 6 years post menopause and still struggling to find suitable hrt, I've been on 50mg, 75mg,100mg of different patches but they all had side effects. I was on tablet form of hrt at the start can't remember names of them as there were a few they give me they all caused break through bleeding..
After being sent to hrt clinic I was given ostergel plus provera , I couldn't cope with provera side effects were awful.....fast forward .... I'm now changed to estrogel and biological progression starting of on 2 pumps of gel  which wasn't helping me at all ( night sweats, anxiety, no motivation at all ) clinic upped does to 4 pumps of gel, which I'm finding unbearable ( headaches,tummy issues, memory is awful brain fog ) just generally feeling numb inside seems the only emotion I have is tears.
Everything I do is a chore even getting a shower is a chore for me 😭 . I'm 55 and would love to get my life back to some kind of normal life,
I've also noticed from I started this mixture of hrt my sinuses are really bothering me plus I've gained weight which isn't due to over eating as I eat my 3 healthy meals a day, I suffer arthritis, fibromyalgia Also waiting for 2 knee replacemens only excerise I can manage now is on excerise bike.
Has any of you lovely ladies any suggestions regarding any other form of hrt I could ask to try ?
I still have womb, so I know I definitely need to use progesterone, am I just a person who isn't suitable for hrt as at this point I honestly feel like weaning of it completely but don't know if I could face all the awful symptoms of menopause again
Sorry for the long post but I'm truly at my wits end trying to find the right combination of hrt

Kaz x

Stella2

Re: Finding suitable hrt
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 07:07:02 AM »

Hi Karen,

I feel for you. I am not an expert but it might be that you have to find the correct dosage for you. Maybe it's somewhere between 2 and 4 pumps? It would be so nice if we would have support when we need it, it's so difficult to speak to GP when you need it. I also had some issues and my GP decided that instead of 1mg of gel I take 75 patch that is equivalent to 1.5mg (3 pumps of gel) but this seems too much for me as my breasts became sore and heavy. I am gradually cutting a bit off the patch off, keeping it at the same level for 2-3 weeks to see if I feel better and trying to find the best dosage. I am not sure if this is how it should be done. I hope that other ladies will be able to share their experiences.  :)

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:20:30 AM »

Hi Kaz

Sorry to hear you are feeling so awful.
There are a few things you could try.
For instance some women find that taking the Utrogestan vaginally cuts down onthe GI issues.
 I presume your only taking 100mg continuously?
Another thought is that many ladies are finding that a lower dosage of estrogen is more helpful mood wise. I’m one of those and I’m on a very low dose.
I’m afraid it’s a question of trial and error to find what dosage suits you.
Lastly, you may find that testosterone will help your brain fog, strength and energy levels. You will have to say that your libido is bad to get it prescribed, so be prepared for that.

M x

Karen max

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 04:46:53 PM »

Hi
Thanks ladies for replying  :)
I have been on the gel and progesterone just over 2 years, in that time I have made adjustments to the gel by lowering it slowly right down to 1 and half pumps per day but symptoms came back after 2 days, hot flushes, muzzy head, not sleeping ect, so I've went back up to 2 pumps of gel in morning and 1 at night
I think it's the progesterone that is causing the problem, I've no motivation at all, seems I've no emotions inside at all apart from crying at drop of a hat
Anxiety is through roof most days, it's like the old me has gone as this strange lazy person has jumped inside my body, I just feel numb inside
Only thing that has improved is my skin which was red flaky around nose and forehead has cleared up
I've never heard of using the progesterone 100mg internally, I might give that a try as it's definitely causing me tummy issues constantly acid reflux and indigestion

Thank you both so much 😘

flossie fiddler

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 07:42:32 AM »

I so relate to this. I posted on here just now regarding going back on HRT. I  was on Evorel Sequi before, which was great for me. I’ve been off HRT since the start of 2020 apart from Vagifem and all the old symptoms have returned.

I’m looking at going back on the Everol Conti patches (if they’re still available) or something similar.

Might that be an option for you?

Karen max

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 02:13:35 PM »

Hi
Yes I was on everol conti 100mg but think it was way to strong they put me on 50mg which wasn't great but definitely better than 100mg then they became unavailable
I'm calling hrt tomorrow asking for 75mg if it's available
My body just can't accept progesterone in pill form
Hope you feel better soon , as it's awful trying to find suitable hrt

Kaz X