Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tapping (or emotional freedom technique) for anxiety  (Read 1979 times)

joziel

tapping (or emotional freedom technique) for anxiety
« on: August 20, 2022, 09:37:56 PM »

I discovered something that really helps me with the anxiety I get during palpitations. Sometimes it's even gotten rid of the palpitations. (The only other thing that can do that, is a workout!) Marchlove told me to make a post about it...

It's called tapping (or the emotional freedom technique). It involves tapping yourself in specific locations around your body (meridians), whilst repeating various statements. Which I know sounds like woowoo... I only tried it because I was desperate. I've already tried 'breathwork' and focussing on my breath. And meditation apps. None of that seemed to work.

But this has worked. And apparently there's some research behind it - they've even done controlled trials where they've got people to tap in other places(!) which don't work.

If you want to check it out, you can download an app from the app store called the Tapping Solution - and sign up for the free 11 day trial (and then go to your subscriptions and cancel it so you're not charged after the 11 days).

You can also go to YouTube and search for 'emotional freedom technique' and 'tapping solution' for more info.

Songbird

Re: tapping (or emotional freedom technique) for anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 09:47:46 PM »

Yeah Joziel.  I have been using this app for a wee while. It's quite good as the "Release the Anxiety" session is free, it only takes about 10 minutes and I think it's quite effective, I have to say. It's always something else to have in your toolbox as my boss used to say  ;D

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 06:45:59 AM »

I used to have a practitioner who recommended this to me a few years ago and I found it very helpful.

The other thing she taught me was shaking therapy, which helps release strong emotions from your body like anger. I think it’s called Trauma/Tension Release Therapy. If you Google it, you might find a local practitioner and some offer group or zoom classes. It’s quite a strong therapy so best to work with someone.

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »

Interesting that some autistic children 'flap' or run continually, which is a release of stress for them.

Let us know how you get on joziel.

Pippa52

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 09:26:29 AM »

Just signed up for this. The anxiety at night right now is just awful and sleep a distant memory most of the night. Thanks so much for posting this joziel will definitely give it a good go x

jorainbow

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »

Tapping is fantastic and an easy habit to get into!

joziel

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »

Pippa, I'm really sorry to hear that. I thought things were going better for you now as we haven't heard many updates from you recently.  :'( 

My cardio appointment is an entire month away  >:(  and I am going to call tomorrow and explain the severity of things and see if they can bring it forwards or put me on a cancellation list or something. Someone's got to cancel in the next couple of weeks...

violetbat

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 12:49:14 PM »

I am currently on the trial since I saw it mentioned on another thread on here. It is brilliant and has already really helped with the quality of my sleep. I am using it like a dummy and can not imagine not having access to instant calming.
I think the app is really well done and it has so many sessions to choose from. I have found that just tapping on my collarbone point brings alot of relief on its own.
I am short of money but will be paying for a year's sub once the trial is over. With continued use things should get better. I have tried headspace on and off but I much prefer these sessions, something to do with the tapping and meditation is much more effective than just meditation alone.

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 06:23:38 PM »

Enrolled on to the app and started yesterday.  Loving it so far.  I've used the anxiety course and intend to use the one to help with sleep tonight :) x

joziel

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 06:31:43 PM »

Ah, that's good that others find it useful. I think I've been able to get the palps to stop a few times by tapping on the collarbone point. Unfortunately they do start up again soon after, if they feel like it  ;D but sometimes they stay away!

Pippa52

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »

Ah, that's good that others find it useful. I think I've been able to get the palps to stop a few times by tapping on the collarbone point. Unfortunately they do start up again soon after, if they feel like it  ;D but sometimes they stay away!

It's a great app I love it.  So much to explore on there too x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 07:13:59 PM »

Thank you for recommending this app. I just tried the 'boost your happiness' one. :)

joziel

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 10:33:05 PM »

That's good Flossie, hope it helps you.

AgathaC

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 10:46:58 PM »

I have signed up too!
I have studied the “how to tap” this evening and am about about to use the pre-sleeping resources.
Thanks for the recommendation x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 07:27:14 AM »

That's good Flossie, hope it helps you.

Thank you. :)
Pages: [1] 2