Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 897 times)

Mamma

• First Flush
Looking for advice
« on: August 18, 2022, 01:47:29 PM »

Hi I’m new here
I’m 47 and been told I’m in the menopause!
Not had the usual symptoms and had blood test done
I’m still getting bleeding and all the period symptoms
Started hrt couple weeks now but don’t see any difference to be honest
Brain fog that is it
Anyone else experienced this? (Not brain fog 😂)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »

We all have brain fog intermittently ....... we have a thread : Doing stupid things :  ::)

HRT might take a few months for you feel any benefit.  4-6 months ......

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  What have you been prescribed?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »

Hi Mamma. Blood tests are rather unreliable in diagnosing where you are in menopause but I would think you are in peri-menopause which are the years when periods begin to change and other meno symptoms develop. It usually happens in your forties and can last up to eight years. Trouble concentrating is a symptom.

Which HRT are you using? It's good you have been offered it early on as not all GPs are clued up on peri menopause.

Lots of info and knowledge on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Mamma

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 08:48:34 PM »

Hi thanks for reply’s 😊
I was told at the beginning of the year I was peri I’ve had good few periods this year (I’ve got merina coil)
Had lots of trouble with my stomach and heartburn/indigestion and urine infection/thrush
When I went to the doctor about it he suggested hrt (evorel)
And said my levels were showing that I was actually in the menopause 🤔

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »

I don't actually know, perhaps others do, is there a clear cut off point between peri and full on menopause.  I'm just wondering if your oestrogen levels have dropped a bit more and what one doctor would call peri another might call menopause.  My experience so far is they don't seem to be concerned with names just the symptoms. 

I was told my periods 'will have stopped now' because I'm 52 and been on hrt 2 years.  But I chose to push for it very early and while still having regular periods (just my take on it, we are all different of course and I did have a number of symptoms).  I've just been taking estradiol only for 3 months and I've still had regular periods.  But the doctor told me that wouldn't be the case at first.

Mamma

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 09:01:05 PM »

When I told my doctor I was still having bleeding and period symptoms he said it was just my body catching up 🤔
Other than brain fog I’ve not had any other ‘usual’ symptoms
Just not sure of it all and wanted to see if anyone else had similar things going on
I’ve got a few friends that are around the same age and going through peri and the menopause but non of them have experience of what I’m getting
The joys of being a woman 😊

Nicodemus

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 07:44:28 AM »

I don't actually know, perhaps others do, is there a clear cut off point between peri and full on menopause.

Menopause is when you haven't had a period for a year. So you wouldn't be aware of the actual cutoff because it is retrospective. It sounds as though Mamma's doctor is using confusing terms and that she is in peri.

Although some contraceptives (desogestrel and Mirena, and probably others) do stop periods completely in some women so I'm not sure how they determine menopause in those cases.

Mamma, repeated urine infections can be a symptom of peri/menopause, as can brain fog and reflux/heartburn (I didn't know this last one but I looked it up).  I'm not sure about thrush, quite possibly.

It can take a while for HRT to have an effect, 2 weeks isn't really long enough to see much happening. They normally suggest 3 months at least to see improvements.

Mamma

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 07:31:16 AM »

I was always under the impression that you had to have a year between your last period 🤔
Not that it makes any difference to me but I’d rather kind of know what stage I am actually at in it all 😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 07:50:50 AM »

One begins counting from the 1st month when one misses a bleed.  However, Nature can throw in a curved ball in that 14 months for example after the 'last' period, one can suddenly find  :o so 1 begins counting.  All over again.   ::)