Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What bloods to take as going to do Thyroid.  (Read 630 times)

Peanut31

What bloods to take as going to do Thyroid.
« on: August 28, 2022, 08:53:18 PM »

Hi

I need to take a thyroid blood test, as I self medicate on NDT and levo as just levo was not working for me.

It’s took years to get my thyroid dosage right with the help of thyroid forums and my own experimenting etc, as one pill does not suit everyone.

I had been feeling fine until the peri menopause hit me, this was a gradual process with symptoms, until the remaining symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I’ve started taking HRT via the Newson clinic and I’m not really feeling fantastic as basically told to take testosterone, oestrogel  progesterone Utrogestan capsules.

I was advised not to start the Progesterone until my period in august, this was after starting the oestrogel a few months before, yes you heard correct.

This concerned me, and I asked on here and emailed Dr Currie, which all came back, and said it must be taken and not delayed.

After another appointment with Newson clinic costing me lots and raising my concerns, I was told not to worry and to wait for a further 7 days,  (my period was overdue) and if not had my period then start the progesterone. Seven days passed and no period, so I took them after 3 days my period arrived, like niagara Falls, changing my pad every hour, bloating and pain unbearable. I use to bleed heavy, but, this was on another level.

I’ve now completed my 1st lot of progesterone and taking my 14 day break. From the advice of Joziel 😘, I reduced my Oestrogel gel as the clinic was too quick to tell me to increase, from 2 pumps to 4 pumps. None of which helped.

So, from 17th August I went back to having 2 pumps of Oestrogel and  introduced testosterone, but, slowly. I’ve been having 0.5ml for 3 days a week.

I know it’s early days, but I’m in what I would describe as a really angry mood, fed up with everything, everyone gets on my nerves. I don’t feel relaxed and everything is done rushed,  if that makes sense.

I’m even considering packing in my job as can’t stand the fact I can’t get jobs finished, I’m the kind of person that likes job satisfaction, now don’t get me wrong, work is getting busier and we are short staffed, but I hate going to work. I have been offered something else, but I’m worried if I leave and that’s not right for me, I will have made a huge mistake. I normally stay for ages at jobs. This is with a family friend and that can’t offer me the same money as my current job, but I can make it work looking at my finances.

I don’t want to pack in my job and realise it’s all to do with HRT and my state of mind.

Anyway, my question is, I thought I would do a blood test with medichecks, for thyroid levels as I know HRT can cause issues and also check hormones levels.

I use medichecks often,  and you can do a hormone ones as a package. I will do TSH, T3 and T4 (T3 being the most important which GP’s are not trained to understand how important that is and go by TSH which is absolutely awful for those that are not clued up.

What other hormone levels should I do. I know you go by symptoms on HRT but I just want to see what’s going on.

I’ve been reading recently on here people are giving up on Oestrogel and just taking progesterone is that another options?  Obviously I will keep trying this dosage for 12 weeks, as I know chopping and changing isn’t going to help. However, I can’t see any positive effect for testosterone.

My bloating has gone slightly down but I’ve put weight on and I’m not going to punish myself by weighing myself as I have a padded belly now and watermelon boobs.

Apologies for the rant, Tip: Buy share in Always (sanitary towels) as profits will be high just from me🙄.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for advice
Peanut31

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What bloods to take as going to do Thyroid.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 09:19:36 AM »

:bighug:  at least you have your sense of humour  8)

Let us know how you get on.  Hopefully someone will be along with advice.

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 09:54:44 AM »

Hi Peanut

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time. It’s hard to work out what’s what and certainly difficult to decide on future career path when you aren’t feeling good.

So if you go for the full thyroid panel with medichecks they will also test your two thyroid antibodies and also I believe B12 and folate.

If you are going to test sex hormones at the same time you should not do a finger **** test as it will be contaminated from the gel. So an option is to use Superdrug to draw the blood or use a medicheck phlebotomist to draw the blood at home, first thing in the morning before you take any thyroid meds. I think they charge £50.

You should also have your SHBG tested and then you’ll be able to work out your free testosterone also known as free Androgen Index (FAI).

You should test on day 21 of your cycle.

The anger issues could be from the testosterone so play about with it a bit and you should be able to tell if that’s what causing this symptom.

Best of luck xx

Peanut31

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 06:21:45 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

Xx

Clarella

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 05:44:27 AM »

I’m sorry you have so much going on.

I’ve been hypo for 23 years - from research transdermal oestrogen doesn’t affect thyroid levels but the utrogestan can increase t3 conversion if you’re on thyroxine.

So I don’t know how useful it will be if I’m honest unless you choose to do it when if utrigestan.

If anything I’ve been able to drop my t4 slightly but there was a slight dip for a few weeks before I then felt better.

I was taking utrogestan vaginally but have just switched to continuous oral to see if it helps and how I manage. Oral partly to see if helps t3 side if things.

I’d definitely check ferritin, vit d and b12 though.