Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone- Uterus or not!  (Read 743 times)

Marchlove

Progesterone- Uterus or not!
« on: August 15, 2022, 03:04:40 PM »

Hi All

I’ve often come across articles suggesting that women should take progesterone after a hysterectomy for the benefits to bone health, sleep and anxiety issues.

Of course this is not something that is recommended in the uk, but having read quite a few posts on Hystersisters, it seems that a lot of women in the states do take it.

I haven’t had a hysterectomy myself but have a friend who was taking oestrogel only and was having problems with anxiety and insomnia. So I suggested she trial some otc progesterone cream and she’s doing a lot better.
You could do this with Utrogestan I suppose, but the problem would be getting a doctor to prescribe it!

Anyway, just thought I’d throw it out there and wondered if any members are already do this?

Here’s one article

https://www.bodylogicmd.com/blog/the-benefits-of-progesterone-treatment-after-hysterectomy/

X

Taz2

Re: Progesterone- Uterus or not!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 03:44:24 PM »

It's interesting how we all react differently to progesterone. I'm happy never to have it again since my hysterectomy as it made me bad tempered and anxious (apparently)  ;D.  I think there is also more breast cancer risk attached to combined HRT though I haven't really researched that. Thanks for the link.

Taz x

Amazing grace

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 04:09:38 PM »

Hi marchlove, I had a hysterectomy and have used otc progesterone I also learned this through the wonderful hystersisters site, it's not to be confused with prescription progesterone which is much stronger, I was using estrogen only and found it hard to feel good the otc progesterone definitely helped with insomnia, I was buying it from the USA, haven't used it in a while as my insomnia went away, but recently anxiety has become a problem so think I will buy it again see if it helps with that, definitely worth ladies who have had a hysterectomy knowing it may help them feel more balanced x

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 04:49:42 PM »

Hi Marchlove, funnily enough I had it in mind to write a post like this. I bought some OTC progesterone cream from the states to trial. I actually feel quite balanced just with the oestrogen and testosterone but I thought it would be interesting to trial a low dose progesterone to see if it has any noticeable benefits. I must say my old doc at Newson Health wasn't terribly keen but then that was in terms of utrogestan which is a much higher dose. And yes apparently there is a lower risk of breast cancer with just oestrogen but then again other benefits maybe..... I am starting with a super tiny amount of the cream and will report back in due course!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 04:57:09 PM »

I'm another who would gladly never touch the stuff again. It doesn't help me sleep at night but it does make me dopey all day. If anyone has anxiety and insomnia it's likely the oestrogen dose needs adjusting. Mine was from oestrogen deficiency but they are also symptoms of too much oestrogen.

Marchlove

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 05:27:12 PM »

That’s interesting Gnatty and Amazing grace.

Some people get on fine with progesterone and some hate it, so I suppose it’s a question of trial and error.

At least you don’t have to take it if you feel no benefits!

Let us know how you get on xx

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 11:33:53 PM »

Well I'm intrigued as I've always felt a huge sense of wellbeing on norehisterone (evorel sequi's progesterone).

I had a reaction to Utrogestan so haven't tried it again, but have gone back on Norehisterone after just doing Estradiol for a few months (long story, it was not meant to go on that long but we had a family bereavement, etc and unable to see doctor).

As soon as I was back on the norehisterone, my energy came back, my postural hypotension stopped, I feel stronger, and the house has got a lot tidier.  Norehisterone may be artificial but I get the feeling it's good for my system somehow. 

Interesting post, thanks