Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced repeated 'cold/flu' type symptoms in peri or menopause?  (Read 2598 times)

Gilla999

Just curious to know if this resonates with anyone else... I seem to keep picking up these 'bugs' every month (I am still ovulating but very much in peri) that feel like a cold that doesn't fully develop. I get a sore / inflamed / burny sinus feeling, pain on swallowing, headache, run down feeling and often that kind of sweaty feeling when you're coming down with a cold. But it never develops into a blocked nose or sneezing or coughing. Because they seem to keep happening every month I feel like they're connected with my hormones, and just wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this regularly as part of peri or menopause!

CrispyChick

Hi gilla

A few years back when trying combined pills for my period hell, the one that worked best used to do that to me.

Once a month, without fail, I'd be coming down with a bug. But I never did.

It stopped when I stopped that pill.

A bit like period flu I guess. So yes, very much a peri symptom.  >:(

boomerang

Yes!! I frequently felt very tired, washed out, achy, cold - like I was coming down with something but I never did.
I put it down to having 2 small children bringing home a stream of bugs from nursery/school! Stopped when I started HrT so must have been a symptom!

Gilla999

Interesting, thanks ladies! Good to know I'm not the only one  ;D Boomerang how you've described it is exactly what I feel

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Interesting: when I was prescribed tamoxifen after breast surgery - which is an oestrogen suppressant - within 24 hours of swallowing the 1st tablet in hospital I felt really, suddenly very ill like I had 'flu.  [long story short]

Tulip256

Yes I have been feeling exactly like this is year. I put it down to the rubbish weather, low vit d and bugs from children but it could be hormone related or maybe fluctuating hormones makes you more susceptible to picking up bugs.

CLKD

I always know when I have a bug.   :-\. other than not realising a year ago that my common cold was Covid-19  ::).

« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 05:00:48 PM by CLKD »

Gilla999

Yes, my sense (but might be wrong!) is that changing Estrogen levels seem to influence my immune system resilience somehow. Definitely feel like I have a bug today, but it's always the same... sore throat, inflamed nasal passage and tonsil on the same side and very run down, but it never actually develops into a proper cold and eventually disappears after a week or so. Of course it could also just be a dodgy immune system and nothing hormone related, but interesting to hear I'm not the only one! Xx

CLKD

It could also be hay fever/allergic rhinitis, I've suffered since the 1970s.  Changes of temperature affect me = heavy sneezing often for 20 mins. with itchy nose ........ so going into a restaurant is difficult because stepping from cold into warm sets me off. Not a good look!

I use beconase nasal spray a few times a week, daily makes the nasal passages too dry.  Might be worth while giving that a go.

Different to a cold and 'flu - 1 knows when 1 has 'flu because one can't get out of bed to pick up that £20.00 note on the floor! 

Gilla999

Thanks CLKD - might be worth a try! Yes, definitely not actual flu! Just a "picked up a bug" feeling that doesn't ever develop.

CLKD

Which is tiring - 3 days to catch a cold; 3 days to suffer; 3 days to give it away ;-)

K45

Yep, every month I get a few days where I feel like I'm fighting a virus and I definitely think it's hormone related as it comes and goes again without developing into anything.

quote author=Gilla999 link=topic=69830.msg948754#msg948754 date=1717691991]
Just curious to know if this resonates with anyone else... I seem to keep picking up these 'bugs' every month (I am still ovulating but very much in peri) that feel like a cold that doesn't fully develop. I get a sore / inflamed / burny sinus feeling, pain on swallowing, headache, run down feeling and often that kind of sweaty feeling when you're coming down with a cold. But it never develops into a blocked nose or sneezing or coughing. Because they seem to keep happening every month I feel like they're connected with my hormones, and just wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this regularly as part of peri or menopause!
[/quote]

Gilla999

Yes K45 - that is exactly it! I'd love to know what causes it and how / why  ???

CLKD

Which part of the month do these symptoms occur, R they cyclical? 

K45

It's reassuring I'm not alone in this! I hoped hrt would make a difference but it's still happening 4 months in...

quote author=Gilla999 link=topic=69830.msg949358#msg949358 date=1718202936]
Yes K45 - that is exactly it! I'd love to know what causes it and how / why  ???
[/quote]