Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Severe reaction to a change in HRT  (Read 761 times)

DebbieW

• First Flush
Severe reaction to a change in HRT
« on: August 08, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »

I'm posting to see if anyone else has ever experienced this. I was put on Sandrena 0.5mg sachet last August. I had no issues, it got rid of my bloat, joint pain and general anxiety. At the end of April I couldn't get it anywhere due to the shortages. I was put on Estradot 25 patch. I couldn't get on with these and I could feel my symptoms coming back. Also I started to feel very itchy around my vulva. I was then prescribed Oestrogel pump (1.5mg) 2 pumps per day. I used this for 4 days. The itching got worse, it also affected my back passage and I had swelling and a watery discharge, which was coming from the glands, not my vagina. I was in extreme discomfort. I stopped using the gel, the swelling and the discharge stopped, but the intense itching and burning continued. My GP took blood and looked at everything (not my hormone levels though). Everything came back normal. I was prescribed steroid tablets and these helped, but didn't get rid of the symptoms. By this time I was doing myself a lot of damage scratching and pulling, I was on the verge of feeling suicidal. Luckily we have private health. My GP didn't know what to do so wrote me an open referral and I saw a gynaecologist 2 days later. He prescribed Dermovate ( a strong topical steroid ointment). It worked and finally I could sleep and have a normal life. However, a week after starting this I began to get a very itchy scalp, anus (I have piles - 3 children)and in all those places that get sweaty and hot. Also, I have become extremely tearful, tired, anxious and not wanting to do anything. I have a Mirena coil fitted (in April 2019), so didn't take additional progesterone, I've also got an under-active thyroid (had this for 29 years and my levels are ok). I am only using the ointment once a week now. I'm wondering if these second lot of symptoms are due to stopping the HRT. I'm 57 and was having periods. I haven't had one now for two months. I've had an internal pelvic scan and that all looked normal. I'm due to talk to my gynaecologist this week, but have been googling to see if I could find anything about this as nobody seems to be able to tell me what has happened. Hopefully, somebody on here might be able to help me. Thank you.

joziel

Re: Severe reaction to a change in HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 05:43:00 PM »

Have you looked at histamine intolerance?

Google "Dr Tina Peers, estrogen and histamine intolerance"...

Pippa52

Re: Severe reaction to a change in HRT
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 06:30:06 PM »

Strong steroid can cause anxiety as it is absorbed into the bloodstream - it certainly affects me.  Just a thought xx