Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and periods help please  (Read 1001 times)

KazDuff

• First Flush
Utrogestan and periods help please
« on: August 08, 2022, 03:43:04 PM »

Hi, sorry in advance for the long post!! my background is that I’m 51, post-meno & have tried several hrt combos over the last few years but always ended up bleeding again, I’ve had 2 ultrasound scans, biopsies taken twice and had a hysteroscopy (which I found just awful 😔) all results came back ok.
I’ve now been on evorel 50 patches & 100mg utrogestan continually since October, along with vagifem pessaries as needed - I did have slight spotting at first on this regime but overall felt human again for the first time in years!! My pain went, no more sleepless nights, hot flushes stopped & I even started exercising again
2 weeks ago I started with terrible stomach cramps and ended up having a really heavy period for 9 days, I was losing large clots and felt terrible, I spoke to my gp and she recommended increasing utrogestan to 200mg which I did last night when I started my period yet again (after less than a week), all through the night I have had excruciating lower back pain and am wondering if this could be caused by the utrogestan, if so is there anything else I can take to stop my periods but retain the benefits I’m feeling from the HRT? I’m really concerned as I’m due to start a new job soon which will be very active & I won’t be able to do with this back pain & wont be able to disappear to the toilet every 10-15 mins if I have another really heavy period? Any advice would be greatly received, tia x

joziel

Re: Utrogestan and periods help please
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 04:59:35 PM »

Hi there -

You might want to consider the Mirena coil. It can be excellent in exactly this situation because the vast majority of women stop bleeding altogether after it's been in about 6 months. It provides the progesterone for your HRT, so then you just need the estrogen and can forget about taking tablets every night. And each coil lasts for 5 years.....

If you don't want the coil, you could take the desogestrel POP as well as your HRT - some women take that to provide contraception and you can take your 100mg utrogestan, estrogen and the POP. Like the coil, the POP will probably stop all bleeding after a few months. You can take it until 55yo and hopefully you'll be okay without it after then.