Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Does hrt cause a sore scalp &hair thinning ?  (Read 2414 times)

Friend of lhasaapso

Does hrt cause a sore scalp &hair thinning ?
« on: July 11, 2022, 10:55:04 PM »

Hi all ,
 Has anyone else experienced this ?
  My scalp is very sore &tender to the touch &since I grew my fringe out in lockdown,I've noticed my hairline is thinning at the top of my head. My scalp also feels like it's burning too sometimes.
  I take evorel 25mg & was also on utro 200mg . I'm concerned it's going to get worse . I can't increase patch as 50 mg just seems to make me jittery.
    I've also developed darker patches of skin on my forehead ,which have become more noticeable.
   I read somewhere else that painful scalp can also be caused by a vitamin deficiency, although I do try to eat healthy . I'm 56 post meno since 52 .

Friend of lhasaapso

Re: Does hrt cause a sore scalp &hair thinning ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 01:09:13 AM »

Is there anybody out there who knows about this ?

Catcc

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 07:30:47 AM »

Hi. 

I'm not an expert but I can tell you that prior to starting HRT 2 years ago my hair was shedding like crazy.  My scalp was sore too.  I lost lots of hair.  I was 54 at the time and 2 years post meno. I had been through a very stressful year so it could have been stress plus hormonal changes. 

Not wanting to tempt fate but my scalp doesn't hurt anymore and a lot of my hair has regrown.  I am now on evorel 150, utrogestan and. for the last year, testosterone.

My hairdresser's wife lost a lot of hair and tried everything.  She says the only thing that helped her was HRT.

I feel for you.  I remember what it was like.  I hope things settle soon.

X

PS I struggled to increase my HRT and the jittery feeling was a key issue for me.  I eventually did it slowly, half a patch at a time.  It's taken me 2 years to get where I am

Friend of lhasaapso

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 03:20:51 PM »

Thanks for replying Catcc 🙂,
 I can only manage the evorel 25 ,as when I try to increase it ,like yourself I get jittery & increased pulse.
 The hair line seems to have been thinning gradually I think, I'm just scared it's going to get worse.  I notice it more than other people at the moment.
   I have bought some caffeine shampoo ,but only used it once so far &hair was a little greasy afterwards.
     I'm 56 now .
     I feel quite good on the 25 patch at the moment, but unfortunately not good on the utrogestan.  I don't know if this can cause hair thinning .
      How long as it before you noticed a difference with hrt on your hair ?
        Cheers !Lhasa x

Catcc

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 04:21:49 PM »

To be honest I'm not sure how long.  My main concern was watching to make sure it wasn't making it any worse.

My hairdresser was amazed at how my hair has grown back.  It's not back to how it used to be ... but maybe that's age related.  But it is looking thick again.

Like you I struggled with jittery problems at first, and blamed my first HRT increase for my headaches and migraines. As a result I reduced it and wasted the first 8 months on a patch that it turned out was way too low for me and I wasn't absorbing. 

I gradually increased half a patch at a time.  I made myself live through the first few weeks of jitters every time.  I don't get the jittery feeling now (I'm on 150). 

Everyone is different though.  I can just relate to the things you are saying. X

Dada39

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 02:35:38 PM »

Hi all ,
 Has anyone else experienced this ?
  My scalp is very sore &tender to the touch &since I grew my fringe out in lockdown,I've noticed my hairline is thinning at the top of my head. My scalp also feels like it's burning too sometimes.
  I take evorel 25mg & was also on utro 200mg . I'm concerned it's going to get worse . I can't increase patch as 50 mg just seems to make me jittery.
    I've also developed darker patches of skin on my forehead ,which have become more noticeable.
   I read somewhere else that painful scalp can also be caused by a vitamin deficiency, although I do try to eat healthy . I'm 56 post meno since 52 .
Hi there, it happened to me when I took Femoston 2/10nlady year. Now i am off hrt, i have a sensitive scalp et hair is thinning since december.

What hrt are you on?

Gracie65

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 08:20:06 PM »

Before HRT for quite a few years I had a very sore, burning scalp and thinning hair. I spent a fortune on shampoos and treatments to no avail. Even in sunshine it felt like acid being poured on my crown. I have been taking HRT for 3 years and hair fuller now and no red, painful scalp. I always sensed it was down to a hormonal imbalance